B&W P7 Recable...
Dec 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
I ended up recabling my P7s.  I had a hard time looking for a connector to fit, so I modified one (this took about 2 minutes).  Anyway, for anyone that's thinking about making one, I am experiencing SIGNIFICANT transparency and soundstage improvement (twice the Soundstage).  Also, the bass seems to be almost unaffected, but the mids and highs are much better in every way.  I'll definitely order some solid silver and make another cable asap, but just wanted to tell you guys that the stock cable appears to be inhibiting a lot of the potential.  Beware, however, that it makes it appear a lot less "bassy" since the it balances every other range out (but It's extremely natural now).

P.S. Excuse the color scheme.... heatshrink is going to be over everything in the next day or two :wink:.

Edit: So I was so appalled by the results of the recable that I decided to "step it up" a little.  Trashed the pictured cable and decided to make a paired cable (using the same strands from before...just doubled).  So I managed to comfortably fit 18g total per channel.  I can easily say that these produce the best audio I've ever heard as of now, and trump the soundstage and fidelity of my old k701s with silver AND my old triple fies with a silver cable.  Protip: If you're planning on recabling yours, go with a twist instead of a litz braid... I'm seeing physical benefits in the earcup.  Also, these are benefiting SIGNIFICANTLY from the extra copper.  I the highs cooled off too, and I verified it with a session of old Metal :wink:.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 36
Thank you for sharing this.

I want to make (or buy) a good Bowers&Wilkins P5 cable, so I'm interested by any informations on its fabrication.

How much does it cost?

Cordially

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 36
Well I always make a test-run with cat-5 wire to verify proper geometry.  I just used inexpensive termination (infact, the 2.5mm is from ratshack).  My final cable will probably be silver with high-end connectors, but if you're just wanting to try it to see how it sounds, then it should only cost under $10.

The trick is you have to re-machine the phono connector to slim it down.  I've done three of them so far, and can confirm that this is absolutely the easiest, cheapest, and most practical way.  I don't use the outter shield since it's heavily protected inside the earcup, and I heatshrink the hell out of it.  Heatshrink should but up against the nodule inside the cup, and it should get tight right there.... this will prevent any stress that may occur.

EDIT: If anyone needs the 2.5mm phono machined, then I welcome you to send it to me with a returned postage and addressed envelope.  I'll refinish it for you at no cost.  This community has helped me out like I can't believe, so I can contribute a little.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 36
I love the idea of upgrading standard 'phone cables - have you tried using different types of solder, or even so called 'audio grade solder' to lift the performance further still?
Great photos by the way, would like to see the final heatshrunk cable :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 36
Fun! I think the bass is a bit too strong right now. And the soundstage is a bit confined, lack of openness. Well, it is compared to my Grado SR325i. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 36
Just an update. Since the first cable I decided to tweak it a lot, and went with a solid copper. This was the result. Highly recommend this.... I spent an hour going back and fourth between the OEM cable and this one, and this sounds better in every single area. Best of all they just sound more refined now. Plus it looks much cooler :wink:.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 36
Just an update. Since the first cable I decided to tweak it a lot, and went with a solid copper. This was the result. Highly recommend this.... I spent an hour going back and fourth between the OEM cable and this one, and this sounds better in every single area. Best of all they just sound more refined now. Plus it looks much cooler :wink:.

When I went to Best BUY to listen to the B&Ws I noticed a nice, thick, material covered cable connected to the demo units, although I did not identify the make. Maybe it was just a sheath over the stock cable.

Those cables at least looked much different than the two types of cables that come with the P7.
However, I really like my P7's sound and looks., with the factory cables.

I do not remember if the stock cables were used at the Apple stores, probably they were.

Thanks for sharing out.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 36
When I went to Best BUY to listen to the B&Ws I noticed a nice, thick, material covered cable connected to the demo units, although I did not identify the make. Maybe it was just a sheath over the stock cable.

Those cables at least looked much different than the two types of cables that come with the P7.
However, I really like my P7's sound and looks., with the factory cables.

I do not remember if the stock cables were used at the Apple stores, probably they were.

Thanks for sharing out.

My Best Buy "appeared" to be using an AudioQuest Mini-5 cable with the demo pair of B&W P7's. I'm thinking about re-cabling mine with either the 3 meter AudioQuest Mini-3 I have on hand or buying a Mini-5 and using that one.  I picked up the AQ Mini-3 cable (uses 4 identical solid-core (PSC) for + & -) for an extension cable since the one that comes with the P7 is only 48" and doesn't let me use it with my home gear unless I'm sitting right in front of it. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 36
  1. Hello eightbitpotion

Amazing job

can you give please gave me more detail on your 2.5mm connector

i'm starting to bill a cable for my P7, the headphone connection part is pretty tough...

thanks!

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 36

@esteboune How did your cables turn out? 

great!

i also had to use the dremel on the 2.5 TRS jack in order to decrease the diameter.

i used a hybrid cable pure silver + copper cable
and braided it

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 36
but then ... i realise that it is a bit useless

you cannot change the cable between the 2 cups, and it is the same that the original one

so i guess those cans cannot really get a sound improvement thanks to cables

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 36
They sure look very nice! 
So your cable upgrades didn't change anything for the sound?
I know the internal part is the limiting factor for the right ear cup. 
When i find the courage to change that one i'll sure do it. 
Before that i'd first like to hear an upgrade overal / left with a new cable to see what sort would sound best.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 36
Hi gents I have been lucky enough to get a second hand OPPO Ha1 and they make my P7'S seem like a different headphone. After seeing your Mod I have ordered some 4 wiresilver litz 1 metre A few 2.5mms cables for the jacks to mod and a 4 pin Neutrik XLR + heat shrink. The Oppo has a balanced front output and I wanted a cable mod to try it. How do I wire it up with the P7 balanced. I can solder well but no idea how wire from a 2.5mm to 4p xlr balanced. Or even if it can be done "balanced" with the P7'S single cable. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back