Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #3,766 of 4,451
After few days run-in on a working boot up I am not sure which DAC I like better - M7 upgrade or S7. First, I now realize now how much the Singxer SU-1 HDMI I2S adds to my pleasure of both of these DACs with the Singularity digital boards. The highs are clear and open with SU-1 - like no other input or DDC I have ever tried.

Does everyone understand High Exact mode on I2S inputs with the Singularity digital board? With High Exact mode engaged (tighter PLL lock) I2S input vocal sibilance is more refined, more detail, and soundstage firmer. High Exact mode requires a good clocked DDC and cables. Low Exact mode is good as well but just a little something extra with High Exact engaged. The Singxer SU-1 works well for High Exact mode on both these two SIngularity digital board DACs.

Here's a explanation of High Exact mode, I2S, and the BYPASS jumper for DACs with the Singularity digital board.
"All inputs on the Audio GD Singularity M7 and new R2R 7 DACs operate in "High Exact" clock recovery mode (very high bandwidth) for lowest jitter and best performance. On I2S inputs source clocking and cabling must be stable and sufficient quality for "High Exact" to operate reliably. If you experience audio dropouts or noise on HDMI or TTL I2S playback try placing a jumper on DSP BYPASS = On. This forces I2S inputs into a lower bandwidth/ wider lock window mode with only slight affect on sound quality. I2S input default has "High Exact" mode Enabled (BYPASS = Off). And the BYPASS jumper only impacts the I2S inputs."

I now want to hear the R2R 7 with the Singxer SU-1.

I will be able to give you a hint of how things sound within a few hours, using my super usb chain ending with the singxer f-1 feeding the r2r 7 through rj45 i2s. Pll on for a start. I am home now, waiting for DHL to knock on my door.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,768 of 4,451
@DACLadder you can find the SU1 mods in this thread here - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-mini-review-of-the-singxer-su-1-ddc/?page=24

Basically, the discussion is around two types of mods - 1) replace the internal PSU board with an external low noise PSU feeding 5V DC into the SU1 and 2) replacing the 5V and 3.3V regulators with ultra low noise regs (Sparkos Labs were favoured). I went down the regulator path as I had a couple of spare ultra low noise ones. I also changed out the bridge for one made with discrete Schottky diodes. The mods aren't hard but care needs to be exercised as always with desoldering.

The mod was worthwhile, with results subtle but enjoyable - one of those mods that you find yourself getting drawn into the track and listening on instead of the usual jumping around between reference tracks. As with many mods to digital devices, less PSU noise often equates to a reduction in digital harshness and a blacker background. Given what you have said about high exact mode, this SU1 mod may be even more fruitful.

Back to the M7 mod. Kingwa supplied 4 cables - 2 x 7 pin, 1 x 4 pin and 1 x 3 pin. I expect the first two are for the I2S inputs so hopefully I can just swap connector shells rather than whole cables. I also got a spare 0.1uF WIMA. Did you get one too?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #3,769 of 4,451
@mivarpet Thank you! You have everything you need!! 2 x 7-pin for I2S, 4-pin for the Control cable, and 3-pin for Toslink. The WIMA cap is a DC blocker for AES/ EBU input #2. Look back at my post and you will see it on the XLR connector. You can ignore if you don't have AES/EBU input. https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/audio-gd-master-7-discrete-fully-balanced-dac-pcm1704.625793/page-249#post-13600493

For the Control Cable I just changed the MCU chip and leave the existing cable in place at the front panel. I found pin 1 on both ends. Move the wanted 4-pins over to the supplied housing. The unused, dangling cable wires were just stripped back under the board and cut out of sight.

Good luck and it's really straight forward as far as figuring out where things go. The I2S ports are well labeled and generally everything else. First thing remove the three interior wall dividers for easier access. They are screwed in from the back 4 screws each. Power connection is tricky first time but removing that PS wall divider helps very much.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #3,771 of 4,451
My master 7 with the new digital board have hit the door today coming from Magna Hifi. The funny thing is that we were play testing a Master 10 with a stock Master 7 with a friend on my setup (i am tempted by the audio-gd amp offer, and I was lacking my master 7 so he brings his).

Both playing with i2s input from a Singxer su1 (not modded), going out with ACSS and pushing the sounds on my jbl 250ti. They were pplen off (with a jumper), M7 stock with dsp jumper enabled. M7 singularity with no jumper on Dsp jumper in order to be in high exact mode (if i get it right). So 8x, -130db stopband.

In short words, the difference are way more important than i was expecting. Sounds is way more relaxed and real to me because of the cleaner bass (tighter, harder), the better separation (better layer of sound giving some records that were kinda messy the right sound now) and ice on the cake few more details and better high. I don't have the best words but tonality is way better because of the whole package ( vocal are more distinct with more variation for example). Best sound that i get from my setup, so to me and on my setup, the price is well worth the update.

I must play with it more and with my own amplifier but my friend have planned to do the updgrade after hearing his and mine, it's nothing like minor scale details but to each his own. To give some sense of scale we were not hearing so much difference when we were play testing both amps on my system (it was more feelings and taste) whereas it was instantaneous to hear that my master 7 is better.

Anyway That's right to say that the Master 7 went a long road from old firmware and usb32, to amanero, then i2s, then dsp v7 to what i'm hearing today. I'm bery happy and planning to put more time on it.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,773 of 4,451
@enigmus12 Good news! What does Magna Hifi charge for upgrade of the Singularity digital board?

The old Master 7 sounds like a completely different DAC with Singularity digital board and Singxer SU-1.

Magna Hifi charges 455 euros with included shipping back. It is expensive but the board was nearly 300 dollars from kingwa without Taxes included (roughtly 20% more + customs). Seems a fair deal to me. First time I've made buisness with them and i'm very happy (they are responsive and are taking care of customers).

About the sound, yes it is a completely different dac since the beginning and that's the great strengh of the modular design (both hardware and software). I can't wait to take a listen to yet once more (damn i need time !!)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #3,776 of 4,451
Removing the digital board was much easier the 2nd time around.

Here's a picture of the four power connection wires that are soldered directly to the large capacitor pins from the bottom. Heat shrink tubing (blk) added to the Ground leads to make for easier identification.

The Control cable unused three wires are cut back underneath the board when mounted. Also the three internal wall dividers have been removed for access.

Attachments

• PowerConnection.JPG
    PowerConnection.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Control Cable.JPG
    Control Cable.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #3,778 of 4,451
From what i hear with the r2r 7, the singularity board is a superbly performing piece of hardware. An interesting detail: there is no more relay to switch between inputs, it's all done by a processor.

If anyone is interested by a used S7, i have a M7 in excellent condition with very minor cosmetic flaws ( mini touch-ups on the top panel, barely seeable). For a DIYer, it's a great occasion or else i could ship it to Magna and have it shipped back to its new owner. It has the old usb32 interface. I would throw in an hdmi input kit that was never installed. The DAC was bought in 2013 and was never modded.

PM me if you are interested.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #3,779 of 4,451
Thanks guys! As I understood so far, the Singularity upgraded board is really worth. I will probably use Magna Hifi services for this upgrade as I can not solder.

By the way: I am totally happy with the HE7S. It is a big jump from my old M7. Except for the great SQ and experiences mentioned earlier, I am vary happy with the consistent digital inputs quality. There are very small, if any perceivable differences between inputs - I use HDMI, AES and Optical inputs for different sources and I can finally use the full sound potential of the HE7S via all of them. This was not the case with my old M7 - HDMI input was by far the best and other inputs were lacking in comparison with HDMI. I never liked the Optical input of M7 much but I am really enjoying it with the HE7S (TV connected). So I will definitely go for the Singularity M7 board upgrade. I hope that they will have them in stock. Does anyone know the stock situation of these boards? Should I hurry?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #3,780 of 4,451
So I will definitely go for the Singularity M7 board upgrade. I hope that they will have them in stock. Does anyone know the stock situation of these boards? Should I hurry?
Kingwa is a smart business man. If the demand is high enough for the M7 upgrade market then he most likely will build additional boards. May take a 6-8 weeks to get the parts ordered and boards built. But you may want to contact Magna Hifi for availability. I bet they are swamped with requests right now.

But like you have the S7 to enjoy while we wait. And, I was thinking, if the R2R 7 is clearly better we could also upgrade the analog boards in the future as well. I am going to wait on that for reviews and possibly R2R 7 2.0 or next improvements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back