Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)
Nov 23, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #271 of 330
I went an auditioned a lot of headphones two weeks ago.  I listened to the Audeze Sine with lightning cable via my phone using Tidal as well as my own Apple Lossless recordings.  I listened to both EL-8's, the LCD 3, 4 and the XC's (both).  I don't like the XC at all.  They were harsh. I ran singled ended through the Woo DAC that was on display in the room.  The 3's were very musical and the upper bass didn't bleed into the mids like some have told me they do.  When putting on the 4's, it was an all new ball game, but for twice the price, there is no way they are worth it for me as I'm still a two channel speaker guy.  I have an new Ayre QX5 with balance headphone amp and I want to use it.  The amp is KILLER to say the least.  

I also had my Noble Savants with AQ Red DAC that I use daily.  The Sine's were really nice for the price and what they offer. I'd own them if I wanted a full size can for travel, but the Nobles CRUSHED them at ever step.  Then it was onto the EL-8's via the Woo as well as via my phone and AQ Red.  Again, the open back were the best by far (not even close to me). I heard the Titanium model.  The Savants again crushed them, even in the bass region and that surprised the heck out of me. I never thought that would happen. Going into this, I really felt that the Audeze's would kill it in the bass and have a huge advantage over the Savant's and I was wrong. 

I also listened to the less expensive Headfiman models and they weren't in the running for me as they too were harsh in the high end.  Got to listen to the Elear also and it too was too harsh on a few recordings.  It's comfortable and I wanted to like the sound much more than I did.  Nice look and build. I know their market and they are going to love them.  I find many things too harsh on sibilance etc...  I listen to a lot of live music (Joe Bonamassa was incredible the other night!) and I know what highs sound like to me.  Even when it's a 'harsh' piano, it's not fatiguing which is what I mean by harsh.  

Then it was the Savant vs the LCD 3's. The 3's beat them in the bass and were fun to listen to, but their weight made them uncomfortable for me over the course of time.  I do feel the Savants MORE than held their own as they were more spacious and the mids were just more musical.  I didn't expect that either.  I like a more neutral sound I think and that's the strong point of the Savants'. I have been told by many that a full size can will just sound better and do more than an IEM.  I don't think that's true anymore, but that's not to take anything away from the full size can's.  That LCD 4 was just awesome to listen to, but it's even too heavy to listen to for more than an hour or so for me.  

I know I'll be getting the new Headphone Cosmic when it's released early next year.  I have been told that for 1k it's already just a shade under the sound of the LCD 4.  I trust the person who told me as I know how he listens to music.  I guess for a headphone that costs what these all cost, I want great build, comfortable and great sound all in one. I know for similar prices I can find a speaker or two that give me that. I know this industry is all about compromises in any component.  If you can handle a heavy can, like most of you can, then the Audeze 3 or 4 are great can's. I have heard the 2's in the past and enjoyed them too, but I think they may need to figure out a way to cut back the weight of these things and do it soon as others are doing that and still producing nice sound at the same time.  JMHO

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #272 of 330
Here's one more data point about the 2016 revamp, this time concerning the LCD-2.

I borrowed an early-2015 LCD-2 with leather earcups from a local dealer and listened to them over the weekend. The bass was what I noticed first: so much and so clean. But that tilt toward the bass end of things meant that voices and the whole mid-range was more recessed than I really wanted. I kept turning the volume up so I could hear voices better, and then feeling like there was too much bass as a result. Nevertheless, I wanted a warm, bass-heavy pair of headphones to complement my treble-tilted DT880s, so I returned the demo pair and bought a new pair of LCD-2s.

The new pair was mid-2016 LCD-2 with vegan earcups, and sounded quite different. You could tell it was the same family of headphones, but the differences were non-subtle. And I'm definitely not golden-eared: if I could hear these changes, anyone could. The 2016 pair was more balanced, with less prominent bass and more prominent mids and treble. It sounded like a flat set of headphones, instead of the warm, gooey bass-rich headphones that people normally associate with Audeze. This wasn't what I'd expected and wasn't what I had intended to buy, but I ended up liking the flat/neutral/balanced sound so much I kept them. Now when I had the volume set correctly for voices, it was also set correctly for bass (and upper treble and everything else).

I don't know if this is the result of normal manufacturing variation, or if the earpad material had anything to do with it, but the conclusion I drew was that the 2016 LCD-2 has been significantly revoiced compared to 2015 LCD-2. I like the revoicing, but someone who was drawn to the bass emphasis of early Audezes might be disappointed.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #273 of 330
  I was simply stunned by how different the open and closed sounded on EL-8. Like 2 completely different spec'd phones. I had to double back quite a few times. Quite frankly, at retail, Sines are probably better value than EL-8 Closed....they're that close in sound and both equally far from the opens.

That's a bummer. An earlier post suggested that the 2016 EL-8 Closed were a lot better than before and almost identical to the Open. I was seriously considering getting them for work (I have an LCD-3F at home). I will listen to them for sure anyway, but now my hopes aren't up anymore :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #274 of 330
That's a bummer. An earlier post suggested that the 2016 EL-8 Closed were a lot better than before and almost identical to the Open. I was seriously considering getting them for work (I have an LCD-3F at home). I will listen to them for sure anyway, but now my hopes aren't up anymore :frowning2:

Just wait for the new el-8 2.0. They should be introduced JANUARY

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #276 of 330
Whaaaa? I did not know they were working on something new. I just saw your thread about them, but no real info.

What do we know about the 2.0 so far?

Nothing so far I pushed for more info from Audeze and they said they would more than likely show them at a Jan 17 show. Maybe at CES I think. Also the ilcd3 too

The reason I found out is from an email they sent

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #277 of 330
From this thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/818870/audeze-isine-10-isine-20-audeze-releases-two-new-iem-planar-magnetic-earphones/660#post_12996006

I doubt we'll see anything before CES. That's when Audeze has said they'll be launching the LCD-i3.

Start reading from page 45 if you are set to default on the thread read or a couple post back from the link above to understand what we are posting about

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #278 of 330
I definitely have to wait now before buying anything... although I don't like being the cannon fodder for new Audeze products... they always have issues at first

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #281 of 330
Any other information out there about EL-8 2.0 version? 

LOL, HAHAHAHA, Oh Man!! LOL. Shew let me catch my breathe!. I thought you were referring to the EL-8 2.0's that Audeze was suppose to do a show n tell on back in October. Just like the iLCD3's or whatever they were called. Then e were told it could be CES 2017. LOL.

That was all in just fun and satire. Not towards you. Just, I have been pushing and pestering for Audeze to give us a little info on the El-* 2.0's since some of us got a private lounge email about them being shown back in October.

Either they showed them at a private lounge at the New York HiFi Show on November 4th and made everyone sign a NDA agreement or they just didnt show them at all.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #282 of 330
Any other information out there about EL-8 2.0 version? 

LOL, HAHAHAHA, Oh Man!! LOL. Shew let me catch my breathe!. I thought you were referring to the EL-8 2.0's that Audeze was suppose to do a show n tell on back in October. Just like the iLCD3's or whatever they were called. Then e were told it could be CES 2017. LOL.

That was all in just fun and satire. Not towards you. Just, I have been pushing and pestering for Audeze to give us a little info on the El-* 2.0's since some of us got a private lounge email about them being shown back in October.

Either they showed them at a private lounge at the New York HiFi Show on November 4th and made everyone sign a NDA agreement or they just didnt show them at all.

Yeah but let's see them please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back