Astro A40s w/ mixamp (2013) vs new headphones... what to expect?
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jethross

New Head-Fier
Hello. So I've made a post asking which headphones I should buy and I've come to a decision on either Philips SHP9500 with a ~$100 AUD Amp or Sennheiser HD 598 SR with NO AMP. My current setup are 2013 Astro A40s with Mixamp. Source for these are onboard Asrock b250 gaming k4 (uses ALC 1220).

Basically I'm looking to know what my current setup does and what improvements I should be noticing or even looking for when moving to the new listed headphones. Reminder that the Astro A40s use mixamp, the Philips will also use an amp but the Sennheiser 598s won't have an amp with them due to budget.

Anyone who has used the Astro A40s and are able to comment on what their weaknesses are compared to the headphones listed would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Why are you dumping the Mixamp? I use a Philips X1,and before that the HD600 out of my Astro Mixamp 2013 and enjoy it very much while gaming on PS4.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 9
@monsterzero A couple reasons. 1: It is 3-4 years old and is looking pretty worn out now, I also don't know if it being that old may effect sound quality as well. So I'd either want a replacement for the shp9500 or just try without an amp until I can afford one with the HD 598.
2: There is a very noticeable distortion at 60%+ volume and it is a known thing to be had with it. Therefore I'm assuming it has a negative impact on things played at above average volume.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Hello. So I've made a post asking which headphones I should buy and I've come to a decision on either Philips SHP9500 with a ~$100 AUD Amp or Sennheiser HD 598 SR with NO AMP. My current setup are 2013 Astro A40s with Mixamp. Source for these are onboard Asrock b250 gaming k4 (uses ALC 1220).
Basically I'm looking to know what my current setup does and what improvements I should be noticing or even looking for when moving to the new listed headphones. Reminder that the Astro A40s use mixamp, the Philips will also use an amp but the Sennheiser 598s won't have an amp with them due to budget.
Anyone who has used the Astro A40s and are able to comment on what their weaknesses are compared to the headphones listed would be much appreciated! Thanks.

As the motherboard comes with a Realtek ALC 1220 audio processor and Creative Labs Sound Blaster Cinema 3 software, might as well sell off the Mix-amp (and A40s) and plug whatever new headphones you get directly into the motherboard's on-board audio.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 9
@PurpleAngel So for the Headphones I get you'd say an amp isn't really necessary? As posted I do intend to get rid of the 2013 Mixamp and if necessary get another Amp in future but if you say that my on-board is good enough that would be great for my budget.

Also just to remind newcomers, main point of post is to find anyone with Astro A40 experience to potentially point out what will improve from that headset to new listed headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 9
@PurpleAngel So for the Headphones I get you'd say an amp isn't really necessary? As posted I do intend to get rid of the 2013 Mixamp and if necessary get another Amp in future but if you say that my on-board is good enough that would be great for my budget.
I would assume headphones in the 32-Ohm to 60-Ohm range would work at least decently, with the Realtek ALC1220 audio, on your motherboard.
The on-board might even be able to decently drive 250-Ohm headphones.
So maybe try the on-board audio first, you can always add a headphone amplifier or DAC/headphone amplifier, later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back