Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
May 17, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #931 of 1,018
Hi everyone, I recently upgraded to an AK Kann and selling my AK300. Its in mint condition, complete with the box, case and all other accessories. Its still under warranty until November 2017. Please let me know if you are interested? I'm based around St. Johns Wood in London. Willing to part with it for £500 if its a quick sale. I can also include the original receipt from the Astell and Kern authorised distributor I bought it from.

May 17, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #932 of 1,018
Hi everyone, I recently upgraded to an AK Kann and selling my AK300. Its in mint condition, complete with the box, case and all other accessories. Its still under warranty until November 2017. Please let me know if you are interested? I'm based around St. Johns Wood in London. Willing to part with it for £500 if its a quick sale. I can also include the original receipt from the Astell and Kern authorised distributor I bought it from.
IMHO, the AK300 is a truly underrated player! Doesn't have the hype and bluster that some of the newer, flavor-of-the-month players have, but is a great, solid player with nice stable software and UI, great sound and the ability to store a lot of music!

May 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #933 of 1,018
Any of you considering a sound upgrade from the AK300 should consider the 320 of 380.

The KANN is a great option if you are looking for maximum storage or you need to power hard to drive headphones (although to me powering a pair of high-end cans from a DAP is sacrilege lol).

Both those selling points pale when considering the size and aesthetics of that thing. I don't think the KANN is made for portable use...

May 25, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #935 of 1,018
IMHO, the AK300 is a truly underrated player! Doesn't have the hype and bluster that some of the newer, flavor-of-the-month players have, but is a great, solid player with nice stable software and UI, great sound and the ability to store a lot of music!

I´ve once had an Linn LP12 + Ekos II Tonearm + Zyx RS100 Yatra Cartridge. Soundwise the AK300 with the AK Amp is in the same league imo, but with more oomph in the lower frequencies and a better soundstage. A true gem!

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #936 of 1,018
I´ve once had an Linn LP12 + Ekos II Tonearm + Zyx RS100 Yatra Cartridge. Soundwise the AK300 with the AK Amp is in the same league imo, but with more oomph in the lower frequencies and a better soundstage. A true gem!
I just ordered the ak380 amp to pair with a future purchase of the ak300. Anyone else have experience with this pairing care to offer opinions?

Thanks.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #937 of 1,018
I just ordered the ak380 amp to pair with a future purchase of the ak300. Anyone else have experience with this pairing care to offer opinions?

Thanks.

Yup, I have. I´d say it´s the right choice when you like a laid back, analog and warm sound signature. I´ve enjoyed this combination a lot before I moved on to the AK320.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #938 of 1,018
Hi!

Could you please confirm me if the ak300 has a balanced line out through the 2.5mm connection?

If it is the case I suppose I can use it to connect the dap directly to an amp using a 2.5 to xlr balanced cable.

Thanks all!

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #939 of 1,018
Astell and Kern have answered me this.

Yes, the AK300 does indeed have the 2.5mm balanced output and is compatible with the 2.5mm to XLR cable.

Please note that the 2.5mm TRRS balanced output of the AK300 does not use the traditional pin map of the 2.5mm TRRS plug. Please see the image below for the proper pin map of the Astell&Kern 2.5mm balanced output:

balanced_cable_pinmap.png

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #940 of 1,018
Hey Guys
I'm currently using Chord Mojo with my smartphone but it's a pain to use them outdoors. I was wondering if I should sell the Mojo and get an AK300.
I use Shure's SE846 and Beyerdynamic AK T1p (32 ohms).
or is it better to keep the mojo and buy an AK70? what's the SQ difference between AK70, AK300 and Mojo?

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #941 of 1,018
Hey Guys
I'm currently using Chord Mojo with my smartphone but it's a pain to use them outdoors. I was wondering if I should sell the Mojo and get an AK300.
I use Shure's SE846 and Beyerdynamic AK T1p (32 ohms).
or is it better to keep the mojo and buy an AK70? what's the SQ difference between AK70, AK300 and Mojo?

Funny, I have both Mojo and AK300 and I'm the opposite...I use the Mojo more than the AK300. SQ are about equal to me but Mojo seems a tad brighter. I really can't tell the difference between the AK300 balanced output and Mojo single ended. Either balanced output is a gimmick or the Mojo se output is really that good lol. I prefer the Mojo cause it drives my Fostex t20rp mk3 louder than the AK300. I use the Shanling M1 as transport for the Mojo. The new HibyLink feature which allows you to control the M1 via your phone comes in real handy.

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #943 of 1,018
Hey all, I recently got an AK300 and when I use it as a USB-DAC out of my macbook pro listening to Tidal, every 10 minutes the music will start just skipping incessantly until I pause for a bit and then start the music again and it stops. None of my other DACs do this out of my mac. Have any of you seen this before? No idea what's causing it.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #944 of 1,018
I fired for an AK300 liquidation at a good price I get tomorrow.
I have the following questions for you!!!
1-Works well with Shure SE535?
2-Level power output is superior to my Iphone 6S with Kaiser Tone in Apple Lossless and AIFF files?
3-Battery life with this type of files?
4-Is heated a lot with this type of files?
5-Recommended program for transferring music from my Mac?
6-How do I put cover jpg in AK?
7-Works exclusively as DAC connected to a Mac?
8-There is some compatible mini portable amplifier for this player?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #945 of 1,018
Hi guys sort of looking for some guidance here. The AK300 was purchased 7 months ago now and as my first really high end DAP I am blown away by how good it sounds.
Initially I bought it for portable use only and got some Campfire Audio Lyra 2 at the same time. Love the sound this combo produces.
However now at home more of my listening is done through headphones too as I live in an apartment and I have new neighbours with a baby below. The Lyras are good but I was surprised that the 300 drives my Hifiman HE1000 cans very well too. Even more surprising is that i prefer my AK300/HE1000 set up to my Devialet/Auralic/HE1000 set up. I have no idea why but to me it just sounds better like more detailed.
Trouble is this makes me wonder just how good it could get. I know AK have far more costlier models and they could be awesome with my HE1000
For now though I am thinking about getting a balanced cable for my HE100O to go with the 300. I read somewhere that the AK balanced connection is not a conventional one. How would I know what to get. I am considering toxic cables as I am in the UK. Would a balanced cable into my HE1000 give much of am improvement, and also is the connection tge same for all AK models as I will probably consider an upgrade to the DAP if my extended music listening continues. A lot of questions here so many thanks to those who will help point me in the right direction.
I honestly never thought headphone listening could be so good..........and it can probably get even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back