anti glare with fiio x5 3rd gen
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alan Doak

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have a solution to the glare issue with the Fiio x5 3rd gen. I am on holiday in Jamaica right now and can hardly see the screen, even with the brightness turned all the way up, thus rendering the device almost redundant. I have tried this product - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072DTM6YZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc= but it has made little difference.

I contacted Fiio directly but they said "I'm afraid that we have not yet tested any anti-glare protective film before. But you may visit our head-fi forum page(http://www.head-fi.org/f/180/fiio) and see if any of our other users can help you."

Can anyone help?

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 7
Haven't heard any fixes yet, I have the X3 II and unfortunately it's just a screen issue. None of the X series seems to have good visibility in sunlight. I think it's just something we have to live with unfortunately

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Haven't heard any fixes yet, I have the X3 II and unfortunately it's just a screen issue. None of the X series seems to have good visibility in sunlight. I think it's just something we have to live with unfortunately

Thanks for the reply. I bought it mainly for use outdoors and, had I known about the poor visibility, I would have ran a mile rather than buy. It's a real pity as the x5 is a great sounding unit - if you plan on using it indoors, that is - but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a portable player if you can't see the screen.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Unfortunately screen quality is probably one of their last concerns right now. Other bigger manufacturers invest in better coatings and glass so the viewing experience is better. They have the $ for the R&D for those kind of tech. Fiio, at least for what I know, builds their blueprints around existing components, in this case the screen. The screen, for a lack of better term, is actually aftermarket and they buy it from manufacturer and in the case of X7 and X5iii it was actually from a huge stock of existing screens made for other tech, I'm sure it's the same with earlier and other X units as well.

In the Chinese forums, there were users complaining about dead pixels, and the above is exactly what FIIO reps said.

I find the color temp of my X5iii too blue, but I don't want to use apps like flux or sunfilter to adjust temperature so it becomes at least neutral.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Unfortunately screen quality is probably one of their last concerns right now. Other bigger manufacturers invest in better coatings and glass so the viewing experience is better. They have the $ for the R&D for those kind of tech. Fiio, at least for what I know, builds their blueprints around existing components, in this case the screen. The screen, for a lack of better term, is actually aftermarket and they buy it from manufacturer and in the case of X7 and X5iii it was actually from a huge stock of existing screens made for other tech, I'm sure it's the same with earlier and other X units as well.

In the Chinese forums, there were users complaining about dead pixels, and the above is exactly what FIIO reps said.

I find the color temp of my X5iii too blue, but I don't want to use apps like flux or sunfilter to adjust temperature so it becomes at least neutral.

Thanks for your input.

It is EXTREMELY frustrating that such an obvious flaw has not been addressed by Fiio

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 7
It's kinda annoying to not be able to see the screen outdoors but honestly they price their players so well that I don't really get annoyed by the glare. Granted I use my player mostly on the train, but I still enjoy how little I spent on my X3II and how great it sounds.
I think the issue is one of those things that can be easily avoided by looking at reviews before buying but then again I did that and didn't hear anybody complain about screen glare :/ I'd blame reviewers before I blame FiiO quite frankly

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 7
It's kinda annoying to not be able to see the screen outdoors but honestly they price their players so well that I don't really get annoyed by the glare. Granted I use my player mostly on the train, but I still enjoy how little I spent on my X3II and how great it sounds.
I think the issue is one of those things that can be easily avoided by looking at reviews before buying but then again I did that and didn't hear anybody complain about screen glare :/ I'd blame reviewers before I blame FiiO quite frankly
I hear you but I still lay the blame at Fiio's door. Having said that, I agree it is a fantastic unit but this is a very basic design flaw that Fiio should have foreseent. I have raised the issue with them and I'd be really disappointed if they do not come up with a solution in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back