Am I mad? SQ LOD to RCA ?
Sep 14, 2008 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pjw241142

100+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of taking the plunge of linking up my Ipod 5.5G 80GB to my Headfive amp (which has RCA inputs) instead of using my normal CD player (Cambridge Azur V2 & Cambridge azur interconnects). I usually listen to rock on either Grado SR60s or ALessandro MS1s. The reasons are obvious as the Ipod has lot more music stored and playlists etc set up on it.

Before I do this and somebody tells me I am completely barking mad I have read a few of the threads on LODs on Head-Fi and would welcome some input on the following:

1. What will the SQ of the new set-up using the Ipod 5.5g be vs what I have on the CD player? Is there likely to be a large degradation in sound quality?

2. What is the SQ of a LOD to stereo minijack vs LOD to RCA? One of the options I have is buying a dock (Sendstation?) and then get a high quality stereo minijack to RCA - is that a sensible SQ (and value for money) route?

3. There seems to be very few LODs to RCAs I can find (vs LOD to stereo mini jacks) and those available are either very cheap or very expensive (Qable, ALO and Microshar are > USD100 or Euro100). Should I look at getting a custom one built and if so who would you recommend? Is there anybody based in Europe as I live in the UK.

Views as ever welcome. Thanks

Peter

PS Went into the Apple Store in Central London yesterday and they did not even know what a LOD was!

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Apple doesn't make line-out dock connectors themselves, so of course they won't know what it is.

I think your best bet is to either get someone to make one for you, or buy one of the universal docks and plug your RCA interconnects into it and the amp.

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for that. I will probably go down the custom route - who are the best Head-Fi'ers to make a LOD to RCA (are there any in UK/Europe)? Regards,

Peter

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 9
I personally buy them from Head-Fi member stevenkelby. He can install a mini-USB charging port in the dock, so that way you can charge your iPod while listening to it without any additional noise. He also charges less than what ALO would do, has a fair amount of customization to offer, and the build quality is arguably better than big-name cable companies.

If you don't want/need the USB charging thing, then I would say try out brainsalad, for his prices seem to be even lower yet, but the build quality is superb, and he has more build options.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 9
One other thought I had was to hook up the ipod to an Arcam rDock ( rDock) and then into the headphone amp using the RCA connections at the back of the dock. Has anybody tried that? I know the rDock is expensive but .........................

Views?

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 9
Does anyone have experience with this LOD?

iPod Line Out Cable - iPod dock to RCA cable - Audiophile grade iPod Line Out to Amplifier

I've sent PMs to stevenkelby and brainsalad, but no response. What can I expect to pay for a custom LOD?

I was also reading that it really doesn't pay to invest a lot of money into a LOD, as the money spent doesn't really equate to better sound quality. The above LOD still doesn't provide charging ability as the Apple or Griffin LODs do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back