Am I Crazy for Wanting to Replace My Car's Sound System... With a (Portable) Bluetooth Speaker?
Dec 7, 2015 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
So, here's the deal: my 2006 Cadillac CTS has quite a decent stock stereo system, with the caveat of not having an auxilary input. Sure, I could replace the radio itself however that would involve replacing practically the whole dashboard in my car including the wood trim needing to be removed. There is an adapter that plugs into the XM box that I purchased but that is annoying to use since the XM box is in the trunk, and there is a noticeable static present from the box. I did do my research and purchased the best FM transmitter I could and when it works it sounds surprisingly good but at times the static can be unbearable. 

Then I thought: hmm, why don't I just add a portable Bluetooth speaker to my car? Even some of the moderately-priced Bluetooth speakers can provide at least good audio, and it would work the most seamlessly with my iPhone. 

What I was looking for in a Bluetooth speaker were of course:

Audiophile-satisfactory quality. I'm not saying it has to be an amazing system, but it should at least put a smile on my face.

Bass quantity as close to the stock system as possible. The stock system can shake my rearview mirror at moderate volmes, so this is a bit of a stretch but bass quality is essential as well.

Loudness. Should fill up the car. Enough said.

Stereo separation. Looking for some degree of stereo separation. Most cars do a poor job of creating a soundstage, so there is potential here.

Value. I'm not comfortable spending a lot of money on a Bluetooth speaker that could become a theft target, or potentially get damaged so really only looking to spend ~$100, max.

I've narrowed my options down to a few speakers, including some by Sony and JBL but am looking for more diamonds in the rough that aren't necessarily brand-name, and may continue trying to make the FM transmitter work for me. However, if I do go this route I'll update the forum on this unique undertaking 
wink_face.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 7
if I am not mistaken your car has bose? either way caddy has good systems as far as stock go. better and louder than a bt speaker. if you get a tech in service that knows what they are doing they can look up a adapter for that cars main interface. yes, it does exist but it is now obscure. or you could go to the junkyard and get the system from the last model of that body style may have had it but it is a big deal to install it. not worth it. a good radio shop can also tap the amp signal wires. that should be like $300. a bt speaker in that car is crazy in fact. I have checked out the ctsv every model year but just always proffered the z06/zr1 so I do know about them. the radio is the same. I hardly check here so if you reply I may not see it but I hope I helped you some.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 7
  if I am not mistaken your car has bose? either way caddy has good systems as far as stock go. better and louder than a bt speaker. if you get a tech in service that knows what they are doing they can look up a adapter for that cars main interface. yes, it does exist but it is now obscure. or you could go to the junkyard and get the system from the last model of that body style may have had it but it is a big deal to install it. not worth it. a good radio shop can also tap the amp signal wires. that should be like $300. a bt speaker in that car is crazy in fact. I have checked out the ctsv every model year but just always proffered the z06/zr1 so I do know about them. the radio is the same. I hardly check here so if you reply I may not see it but I hope I helped you some.

The newer CTS do have a Bose system stock. Believe me, I have checked every option and figured it may be crazy to spend a couple hundred dollars to have an auxilary cable installed correctly while keeping the car as stock as possible. 

_____

I did end up buying a Klipsch KMC 3 which has some serious audio muscle; it might seriously be superior to the stock system. If I don't find it to be worth using in the car, I could just keep it as a home Bluetooth speaker but for now I'm trying to consider some ways to possibly mount or integrate it into the car for the best audio experience while also having it discreetly installed if at all possible.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 7
So, here's the deal: my 2006 Cadillac CTS has quite a decent stock stereo system, with the caveat of not having an auxilary input. Sure, I could replace the radio itself however that would involve replacing practically the whole dashboard in my car including the wood trim needing to be removed. There is an adapter that plugs into the XM box that I purchased but that is annoying to use since the XM box is in the trunk, and there is a noticeable static present from the box. I did do my research and purchased the best FM transmitter I could and when it works it sounds surprisingly good but at times the static can be unbearable.

Then I thought: hmm, why don't I just add a portable Bluetooth speaker to my car? Even some of the moderately-priced Bluetooth speakers can provide at least good audio, and it would work the most seamlessly with my iPhone.

What I was looking for in a Bluetooth speaker were of course:

Audiophile-satisfactory quality. I'm not saying it has to be an amazing system, but it should at least put a smile on my face.

Bass quantity as close to the stock system as possible. The stock system can shake my rearview mirror at moderate volmes, so this is a bit of a stretch but bass quality is essential as well.

Loudness. Should fill up the car. Enough said.

Stereo separation. Looking for some degree of stereo separation. Most cars do a poor job of creating a soundstage, so there is potential here.

Value. I'm not comfortable spending a lot of money on a Bluetooth speaker that could become a theft target, or potentially get damaged so really only looking to spend ~$100, max.

I've narrowed my options down to a few speakers, including some by Sony and JBL but am looking for more diamonds in the rough that aren't necessarily brand-name, and may continue trying to make the FM transmitter work for me. However, if I do go this route I'll update the forum on this unique undertaking
wink_face.gif

Hi. I know this is old post. But I want to do the same crazy thing ). Is it good idea? I do not set sound to high when listening to music, but quality from FM Transmitter is not that good. Also, I love my car as stock, I do not want to replace anything. Do you recommend doing the same thing? For example I can buy Anker SoundCore2 which holds up 24h battery life.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi. I know this is old post. But I want to do the same crazy thing ). Is it good idea? I do not set sound to high when listening to music, but quality from FM Transmitter is not that good. Also, I love my car as stock, I do not want to replace anything. Do you recommend doing the same thing? For example I can buy Anker SoundCore2 which holds up 24h battery life.

Hi, I actually no longer have the CTS and my new car has a Harman Kardon sound system so no need for this anymore.

I think with a good, solid full-size Bluetooth speaker you might enjoy using it but a car's sound system will be much better if sound isn't just coming in one direction. I'd only recommend it if you can't easily install an aftermarket stereo or if you're only keeping the car for a short period of time.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi, I actually no longer have the CTS and my new car has a Harman Kardon sound system so no need for this anymore.

I think with a good, solid full-size Bluetooth speaker you might enjoy using it but a car's sound system will be much better if sound isn't just coming in one direction. I'd only recommend it if you can't easily install an aftermarket stereo or if you're only keeping the car for a short period of time.

Thank you for your answer. Actually, I like my car as stock, so I do not want install afternarket stereo. I will try to install aux and bluetooth receiver with aux, if no success, then may be I will tru bluetotth speaker. Thanks again

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Why yes, you are crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back