Alternatives to Bose for traveling and sound isolation?
Jul 26, 2017 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
I live on the road for work, so much so that I completely forgot that I owned an Schiit amp/dac and HE400 because they've been in storage so long...

With that being said, I spend a lot of time in noisy places, airplanes etc... so I'm looking for a better alternative to the Bose headphones everyone travels with.

I was just reading reviews on the Meze 99 Classic which sounds great, but I'm unsure how the sound isolation compares to the Bose? Can anyone chime in here or recommend something with better sound quality than the Bose that still isolates as well?

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 6
I also spend a lot of time in airplanes... and I eventually gave up.... and got the damn Bose. They are comfortable and have great NC that provide better sound proofing than anything else I have found. I can actually sleep with the bose in-ears, they are that comfortable.

Their sound quality does suck tho. So... I'll watch this thread with interest!

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 6
IEMs will obviously provide superior noise isolation to headphones. Bose QC25 and QC35 (wired and Bluetooth respectively) provide excellent noise cancellation, arguably second to none. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the Bose sound quality sucks statements, are throw away lines in my opinion. I have had a lot of quality headphones over the years and although there are lots of headphones that produce better "quality" sound than a Bose QC25, for a compact closed headphone with superior comfort out of portable devices the sound quality is very good IMO.

Sound signature and quality are somewhat dependant on personal taste and subjective judgement, however apart form the Bose QC brothers the obvious candidates include Sen PXC550, Sen Momentum 2 noise cancelling and the Sony MDR 1000x and the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC. All pretty good units, which is best will depend on what you prefer and maybe what you can pick up for a good price where you live.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 6
IEMs will obviously provide superior noise isolation to headphones. Bose QC25 and QC35 (wired and Bluetooth respectively) provide excellent noise cancellation, arguably second to none. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the Bose sound quality sucks statements, are throw away lines in my opinion. I have had a lot of quality headphones over the years and although there are lots of headphones that produce better "quality" sound than a Bose QC25, for a compact closed headphone with superior comfort out of portable devices the sound quality is very good IMO.

Sound signature and quality are somewhat dependant on personal taste and subjective judgement, however apart form the Bose QC brothers the obvious candidates include Sen PXC550, Sen Momentum 2 noise cancelling and the Sony MDR 1000x and the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC. All pretty good units, which is best will depend on what you prefer and maybe what you can pick up for a good price where you live.

Yeah that's what I figured, there's just not really many options out there. I wish some bigger companies would take a shot at building a better sounding headphone with the noise isolation of the Bose QC series...

I had the Noble K12 for a while, and while great I just don't enjoy the fit of customs. Getting them in and out is a bit of a pain.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Even if they are not really popular in this forum, i really like my B&O H8!
While the sound signature is not realy natural it is very fun to listen and thats all i need while sitting in the train.
The ANC works good to, i never hear anything from the train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back