AKG K712 or K612 or DT990(600ohm)
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 5
I own both and a couple other headphones. The K712 PRO is clearly more detailed. Sounstage - both good but the AKG wins slightly. My problem with the dt990 is the mid-range is recessed and the treble is piercing so you get a very tinny sounding package. Vs K712's treble which is elevated too but done very tastfully. The AKG's midrange is much more forward and natural although it's not as forward as the HD600 but we're splitting hairs here. Bass is good on both. AKG K712 is the more complete package. I only have the DT990 because I like to keep headphones with distinct sounds and the DT990 as weird as it may sound to me is still worth keeping. So to answer your question the K712 fits your purpose if you're only looking to invest in one headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 5
I own both and a couple other headphones. The K712 PRO is clearly more detailed. Sounstage - both good but the AKG wins slightly. My problem with the dt990 is the mid-range is recessed and the treble is piercing so you get a very tinny sounding package. Vs K712's treble which is elevated too but done very tastfully. The AKG's midrange is much more forward and natural although it's not as forward as the HD600 but we're splitting hairs here. Bass is good on both. AKG K712 is the more complete package. I only have the DT990 because I like to keep headphones with distinct sounds and the DT990 as weird as it may sound to me is still worth keeping. So to answer your question the K712 fits your purpose if you're only looking to invest in one headphone.
That's one way to look at it.
I personally find the forward mids in any AKG really fatiguing to listen to. The DT990 is way easier to wear hour on end for me personally.
TLDR: None is better or worse. Both are great headphones, try them and decide which sound signature feels better to you.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 5
That's one way to look at it.
I personally find the forward mids in any AKG really fatiguing to listen to. The DT990 is way easier to wear hour on end for me personally.
TLDR: None is better or worse. Both are great headphones, try them and decide which sound signature feels better to you.

True, it depends on what you're using it for. Which is why I'm still keeping the DT990. It sounds good for slow, low-volume acoustic guitars, makes the strings sound shiny. I just make sure I don't listen to Tupac's 'Only God Can Judge Me' with em or else my ears might bleed after 10 seconds :/ But yeah the AKG can be fatiguing too, I agree.

But to answer the original question - for mostly gaming purposes and occasional music listening, i feel the AKG is more refined and natural, with equally good if not better soundstage and pinpoint precision.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back