γ1 vs Bantam vs Alien DAC
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #16 of 23
adamus, if you have a spare $100 to spend (lol) it would be interesting to hear what you think of the 'new' noodle dac (it really needs a good name; and noodle++ is kinda lame for a name)
wink.gif

I like the fact that the PS is onboard and that there are regulators 'out the whazoo' (technical term)
wink.gif

the receiver chip is 'wide' socketed so you could try 8412, 8414 and 16 chips in there (for those that really like to see how the 'jitter' stuff changes over chip generations).

the SRC is also socketed and can be swapped in/out.

finally, it has the burr brown pcm chip onboard, so score one for 'integration'.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 23
as i have now replaced the entire output stage with sowter transoformers the only powersupply needed is the 5v, the others arnt used.

Give 600:600 transfers a go, 250ohms on the inseries with a cap across to filter any above 45khz, then between the secondaries runa 1k and another small cap.

sounds lovely

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'm in the same boat. I'm getting my kit from Glass Jar Audio and is the AlienDAC worth the $10something difference?

You can do a few other things with an AlienDAC - include a power switch, power it with an offboard power supply, etc., but the DAC circuit itself is essentially the same, although cetoole updated the parts selection with some higher grade parts on the Bantam. You might give Jeff Rossell at Glass Jar Audio a call or send him an e-mail with the same question. He may give you more insight, since he's selling them both.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #19 of 23
where do you get the new noodle anyway?

We could call it the Cu Mian DAC or something. (a type of chinese noodles)

why is it called the noodle DAC in the first place?

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #20 of 23
one seller is 'gigawork' and you can search on '24/192 up-sampling dac'

one thing that drives me nuts, though; and MUST be changed - there is an onboard relay that is tied to the 'data=ok' receiver line. when the dac needs to mute, the relay clicks.

the muting is great (some dacs don't mute on spdif-not-valid) but the relay is just nuts! a solid state method would be preferred (fet or bjt shunting the output to ground). this happens when I play movies thru the dac and when I stop one 'dvd' and play another, it mutes/unmutes like crazy (click click click...) until the spdif stream settles down. my source is the popcorn-hour media streamer and I blame it for 'interrupting' the spdif carrier but still, relay clicks don't need to happen. might be the first mod I do to this dac.

2nd mod: install a proper pulse transformer on the coax-in. they left it out of the design (the fools) ;( but its an easy fix. costs all of $3 or so.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 23
the red surprised me. the pics on ebay show black, or some very dark shade.

lighter is better since you can SEE if the traces have 'issues'. if its all black, who can see anything in that?
wink.gif

I am totally guessing, but maybe its color coded. the daughter upsample board perhaps needs a certain pinout or version level or something? maybe the same with the other chip-carrier boards? maybe not - but if I changed color, I'd have a reason to (if it was my design).

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #23 of 23
ok, thanks. Apologies to the OP, just realized this needs to get back on topic -- sorry for the thread hijack
redface.gif

linuxworks, I guess we should pick this up in it's original thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back