Web programmer / IT Student and all-round technophile.
Music - constant listening, occasional singing and rare bouts of dusting off my old steel-string acoustic and almost-in-tune vocals, fast-paced sports, sleep, cooking, late-night cafe meet-ups with friends.
Musiland Monitor 02 US (recently relegated to pure transport due to the following):
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Low-power AMD Athlon X2 HTPC w/ Windows Server 2008 R2 & Foobar2000 (397 CDs in FLAC)
Cowon J3 32GB + 32GB MicroSD (80% full)
LG Optimus 7 (100% full)
Blue Jeans cable all-round
Other Audio Equipment:
Lots, here's a brief history of my audio experiences:
- Sony Fontopia ($20) earphones: if I was lucky - the damned things kept breaking, and $20 is a lot for a teenager!
- Sony (plastic) micro Hi-Fi system: which I cherished, even though I only had 4-5 CDs, two of them Michael Jackson's.
2004-2005: Creative 2.1 computer speakers: "Wow, when I turn it up I can feel the bass!"
2005-2006: Sony In-ear earphones: "These do bass even better than my Creative speakers!"
- Sennheiser CX-300II (Called CX-500 at the time): "Ah, I knew CDs could sound better than MP3s, time to go lossless!"
- Bose Companion 5 computer speakers: (Initially) "That's some mighty bass! And the treble's so sweet!" ... (over time) "Was that a kick drum or a double bass that I just heard?/Wait- that's not what a cello sounds like!"
- (Replacing the Bose) JBL entry-level floor-standers (2 & 1/2 way) w/ cheap Sony amp (clamed 400w): "this thing rocks!"
- Bower & Wilkins 300-series Floor standers & subwoofer + Haman/Kardon integrated 7.1ch Amp: "I finally understand what the word 'soundstage' means."
- Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 3 (v2) + iPhone 3G: "Finally, some peace and quiet at work (also, this sounds amazing!)"
- UE Super-Fi 3 + Microsoft Zune 120: "This sounds so much better than 96kbps MP4s on an iPhone."
- Westone 3 + Microsoft Zune 120 + NuForce Icon Mobile: "This goes toe-to-toe with my speaker setup!"
Mozart, Dylan, The Boss, Miles, Ol' Blue-Eyes and peers/derivatives thereof... (I don't mean that pejoratively, but they're all shining stars in their genre (IMO), and thus typically inspire other artists whom I also appreciate).
I'm the one who's usually tapping his foot and looking like he's having the time of his life amoung all those other commuters who wish they were anywhere but stuck on a train (thanks to my portable audio, of course).