Will hot weather damage IEMs (not humidity but temperature)?
Aug 3, 2019 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi just a noob question as above.

I know humidity or dampness may damage IEMs but what about absolute temperature? During the hot seasons at my home town temperatures can hit 34 - 35 deg celcius.
Strangely i have owned a Creative EP630 and have left it in baking temperatures in cars almost daily and it is 15 years old but still going strong today. But that's a cheap IEM and I'm more afraid of damage to higher end gear.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Temperature in a closed car under direct sunlight can almost double that of ambient temperature. That means it can reach 60~70°C inside your car. You should note that Knowles recommend no more than 63°C for long term balanced armature storage. Dynamic driver probably can handle heat a bit better, but higher temperature nonetheless will cause faster degradation of the plastic components and glue inside the driver This also applies to the rubber on the cable as well, which likely will brake before the drivers do.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 3
Temperature in a closed car under direct sunlight can almost double that of ambient temperature. That means it can reach 60~70°C inside your car. You should note that Knowles recommend no more than 63°C for long term balanced armature storage. Dynamic driver probably can handle heat a bit better, but higher temperature nonetheless will cause faster degradation of the plastic components and glue inside the driver This also applies to the rubber on the cable as well, which likely will broke before the drivers do.

Thanks that's helpful info. 60 - 70 deg celcius is amazing! I'm gonna take out my IEMs from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back