What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
May 8, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,261 of 1,335
At the moment I am using Eversolo A6 ME—usb to Denafrips Iris 12th — i2s to Ares 12-1 — balanced to Musician — balanced to either sen 660s2 or Hifiman Ayra Organic

I originally got a Schiit usb A to B but wanted a shorter cable so I got a Wireworld Starlight 8 usb 2.0

When I use the Schiit USB cable it sounds different than the Starlight 8 cable and I leave everything the same.

When I use the Schiit it is more dynamic than the Starlight 8.

My theory was the Iris is redoing the signal so it should not matter what usb cable is used but my ears say otherwise. I do not know the resistance on the Schiit cable but Wireworld says theirs is 90ohms.

The only two name brand usb cables I have is those 2 but now I want to know if the Schiit is adding more noise in which makes the sound more dynamic or is the cheaper Schiit just better than the Starlight 8 and I need to get the Starlight 9 to go above the Schiit?

May 8, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #1,262 of 1,335
My experience with Wireworld USB cables is that they're brighter and tighter in the bass but with good imaging and holography than a solid core conductor such as from Audioquest and the like where dynamics, bass extension and non-fatiguing treble are the primary focus.

It's not about adding noise or else you literally hear white noise due to poor soldering of contacts (increasing capacitance) but just the way the signal that goes through the different wire strands could influence the synergy of the system. I prefer the solid core ones from Audioquest Pearl while others prefer Supra cable as they enhance every aspect of sound without going overboard on one aspect of sound unlike Wireworld USB cables.

Keep browsing in this thread so you can see some impressions that interests you so you don't blind buy and get burned with poor synergy cables for your system

May 8, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #1,263 of 1,335
I've found Neo by Oyaide Elec D + USB Class A Rev2 USB cables very good for the money. Particularly the shorter (1.0m) one sounds better compared to the longer (2.0m) one but both sound very good. I noticed a big difference (improvement) between these cables and cheaper cables. But a much smaller difference going from these cables and much, much more expensive cables. They seem to be very good for the low money.

May 8, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #1,264 of 1,335
My experience with Wireworld USB cables is that they're brighter and tighter in the bass but with good imaging and holography than a solid core conductor such as from Audioquest and the like where dynamics, bass extension and non-fatiguing treble are the primary focus.

It's not about adding noise or else you literally hear white noise due to poor soldering of contacts (increasing capacitance) but just the way the signal that goes through the different wire strands could influence the synergy of the system. I prefer the solid core ones from Audioquest Pearl while others prefer Supra cable as they enhance every aspect of sound without going overboard on one aspect of sound unlike Wireworld USB cables.

Keep browsing in this thread so you can see some impressions that interests you so you don't blind buy and get burned with poor synergy cables for your system
Surpra Excalibur might be a go in the next few weeks—the audio quest one too.

On sort of the same subject—i2s hdmi. Shorter the better I am told. Any good ones out there that are short? I have a AQ 1 meter carbon which I ended up using off of the TV and currently use a SHANLING L8 but it is pretty long for my need.

May 8, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,265 of 1,335
I don't have a DAC with i2s but someone here might give a good recommendation

May 8, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #1,266 of 1,335
1m is totally fine for i2s. There's a couple schools of thought on digital: one saying shortest is best, the other saying 1.5m is ideal to avoid reflections. Personally, I'm a Tubulus Concentus fan -- once received there was 0 desire to try anything else. On the cheaper end, the Furutech HFX-NCF is good. It's exciting, dynamic and doesn't do anything wrong (in the most complimentary way).

May 8, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #1,267 of 1,335
1m is totally fine for i2s. There's a couple schools of thought on digital: one saying shortest is best, the other saying 1.5m is ideal to avoid reflections. Personally, I'm a Tubulus Concentus fan -- once received there was 0 desire to try anything else. On the cheaper end, the Furutech HFX-NCF is good. It's exciting, dynamic and doesn't do anything wrong (in the most complimentary way).
Thank you.

May 13, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #1,268 of 1,335
Just got a Supra excalibur USB from av-connection.com. It replaces a XLO UltraPlus which uses solidcore OCC.
The first impression was underwhelming. Not as clean and as resolving as the XLO. Maybe burn-in is needed?

After a while I realized I forgot a trick that I did to the XLO - to block the 5v pin:
https://community.octoprint.org/t/put-tape-on-the-5v-pin-why-and-how/13574

The trick worked immediately and now the Supra is clearly superior to the XLO, more details, more lifelike.
FYI, when the 5v pin is blocked, my computer can't recognize the Chord Mojo2 DAC, but can recognize the Gustard U18 DDC. Some DAC requires the 5v for initial handshake even it doesn't draw power from it.

May 13, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,269 of 1,335
May 13, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,270 of 1,335
That mod was for printer issues with Raspberry Pi; I see nothing pointing to sonic improvements, but hey if it works for your ears, I suppose that's all that matters.

Enjoy :thumbsup:
I figure it helps reducing the noise caused by the power line. But could be placebo anyhow. Sometimes the first impression can be inaccurate, and you need more time to figure out a new stuff is better or worse.

May 13, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #1,271 of 1,335
I figure it helps reducing the noise caused by the power line. But could be placebo anyhow. Sometimes the first impression can be inaccurate, and you need more time to figure out a new stuff is better or worse.
I think you might have to develop more patience and try this....
Maybe burn-in is needed?
before actually modding stuff as you'll never know how it really sounds; but that's me.

I mean if you have to mod a cable off the bat to get it to sound right, why buy/keep it?

Anyway, I installed mine and haven't looked back. Between the Excalibur USB cable and my Denafrips Iris DDC, I get really clean sound so....

May 13, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #1,272 of 1,335
there is good reason to tape off the power... you dont carry a "dirty" powerline over the cable that you might not end up needing anyway

Imo trust your gut, if taping off the power line sounds better go with it (specially if you dont use it anyway)

im currently planning to build/create a pcb/dongle that sits in the pc to cut off power, filter datalines and some filter capacitor on the power line when its used (or, when the power is cut off to still filter the usb port power (which still seems to affect things in my tests))

Currently still using cheap cables... imo you can do a lot with ferrite beads too, dont feel scared to use them as long your dac doesnt lose connection

May 13, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #1,273 of 1,335

there is good reason to tape off the power... you dont carry a "dirty" powerline over the cable that you might not end up needing anyway

Imo trust your gut, if taping off the power line sounds better go with it (specially if you dont use it anyway)

im currently planning to build/create a pcb/dongle that sits in the pc to cut off power, filter datalines and some filter capacitor on the power line when its used (or, when the power is cut off to still filter the usb port power (which still seems to affect things in my tests))

Currently still using cheap cables... imo you can do a lot with ferrite beads too, dont feel scared to use them as long your dac doesnt lose connection
I am using a Mac to a DDC with a Schiit usb cable. Mac with Apple Music is pretty solid and sounds pretty smooth. I use tidal as well along with a lot of music in the network drive.

I also have a Eversolo going to another DAC that has a good clock and it is pretty clean too.

never tried removing the power though. That is interesting. With my current opinions of movies, music, YouTube, it is pretty good with that DDC. From the ddc to i2s is seems to beef up the low end depending on what usb cable. It is that 99 percent stuff though. However in this day and age we are more worried about the 1 percent and less more than the enjoyment of the 99.9 percent. :)

May 14, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #1,274 of 1,335
After a while I realized I forgot a trick that I did to the XLO - to block the 5v pin:
https://community.octoprint.org/t/put-tape-on-the-5v-pin-why-and-how/13574

This is what I was doing 10 yrs ago....

DQaJFHg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back