What to buy with $2,200? (Looking for more ideas.)
Mar 18, 2017 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
My budget is actually higher, but I'd like to stick to this amount for the time being.

Here are a few ideas I've had so far. If you have more, please share!

1. Chord Hugo 2
  2. STAX system
  3. HE6 and suitable amp
  4. speaker system

Oh, and you can see my current and previous equipment on my profile.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 9
  My budget is actually higher, but I'd like to stick to this amount for the time being.

1. Chord Hugo 2
  2. STAX system
  3. HE6 and suitable amp
  4. speaker system

If I had 2,200.00 to do it all over again,I'd get myself a nice clean powerful monster vintage receiver,a HE-6 and a custom cable to drive it from the taps from said receiver...that would leave you about 500.00-700.00 to get speakers or another pair of headphones to compliment the HE-6.

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 9
  If I had 2,200.00 to do it all over again,I'd get myself a nice clean powerful monster vintage receiver,a HE-6 and a custom cable to drive it from the taps from said receiver...that would leave you about 500.00-700.00 to get speakers or another pair of headphones to compliment the HE-6.

Any recommendations for what I should look for in the receiver? Or specific models to go for?

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 9

Any recommendations for what I should look for in the receiver? Or specific models to go for?

Thats subjective(like most things in this hobby),but a few safe guidelines are:

*Pre-1979
*nothing digital
*silver faced
*100+wpc
*Sansui,Pioneer,Marantz are the Big Three,but some Technics,Kenwoods and Concepts can be nice buys as well.

If you see something that catches your eye,reference tht model over at AudioKarma,and see what the general consensus about that particular model is.

Some of my bucketlist monster receivers are

Sansui 9090
Pioneer SX1980
Concept 16.5
Kenwood Eleven lll
Marantz 2600
Technics SA-1000

None of those (except for the Kenwood and Sansui) can be had for under your budget...those are truly Holy Grail type receivers.

Im currently running my HE-6 off of a 55wpc Sansui and its genuinely badass,but @Oregonian i believe is using a monster(100+ wpc) Pioneer,and i personally am looking forward to getting my own monster as the crown jewel in my collection....Not to mention the vintage gear is just down right gorgeous 

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 9

1. Chord Hugo 2
  2. STAX system
  3. HE6 and suitable amp
  4. speaker system

If you have a room that you can line with acoustic treatments later on when you get more money, get the speakers.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 9
  If you have a room that you can line with acoustic treatments later on when you get more money, get the speakers.

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that I won't be doing acoustic treatments anytime soon. At the moment all I have is literally a table in the corner of my bedroom, and I will move to another place soon enough. As far as speakers go, I'd lean toward powered desktop monitors that don't need room treatments to sound good.

I get new gear all the time. Bought a Koss ESP950 just tonight. Not sure how much that will affect my plans.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 9

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that I won't be doing acoustic treatments anytime soon. At the moment all I have is literally a table in the corner of my bedroom, and I will move to another place soon enough. As far as speakers go, I'd lean toward powered desktop monitors that don't need room treatments to sound good.

Being closer to the walls actually makes them more dependent on acoustic treatments if not for one feature, which is four amplification channels with a gain adjustment for the tweeters. If they're too bright, you can just reduce the gain. Sharp, sibilant peaks due to wall reflections though won't get a lot of help from that feature. Yes, they're designed to work closer to the walls from the start, but that doesn't mean this kind of problem will never crop up. They are after all tested and professionally used in acoustically treated studios.

If anything though you can do a lot with just acoustic panels near the speakers, and not even anything that goes from floor to ceiling, to correct any issues audible from your listening position in a nearfield system. On top of that, from that distance you won't be cranking them up as loud as when you're 2m away, so that also minimizes the need for isolating your neighbours from your listening.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 9

Being closer to the walls actually makes them more dependent on acoustic treatments if not for one feature, which is four amplification channels with a gain adjustment for the tweeters. If they're too bright, you can just reduce the gain. Sharp, sibilant peaks due to wall reflections though won't get a lot of help from that feature. Yes, they're designed to work closer to the walls from the start, but that doesn't mean this kind of problem will never crop up. They are after all tested and professionally used in acoustically treated studios.

If anything though you can do a lot with just acoustic panels near the speakers, and not even anything that goes from floor to ceiling, to correct any issues audible from your listening position in a nearfield system. On top of that, from that distance you won't be cranking them up as loud as when you're 2m away, so that also minimizes the need for isolating your neighbours from your listening.

Obviously, room treatments would improve things, but if the speakers aren't going to sound good without them, I'm not going to buy them, because I'm not doing any room treatments. Then again, what counts as good or not is subjective, anyway. I've read plenty of impressions from those who feel certain studio monitor speakers sound fine just plopped on a desk. But I haven't done much research into speakers, so I wouldn't be confident at all buying them at this point.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 9

Obviously, room treatments would improve things, but if the speakers aren't going to sound good without them, I'm not going to buy them, because I'm not doing any room treatments. Then again, what counts as good or not is subjective, anyway. I've read plenty of impressions from those who feel certain studio monitor speakers sound fine just plopped on a desk. But I haven't done much research into speakers, so I wouldn't be confident at all buying them at this point.

Well that bit about being able to tweak the relative gain on the tweeter amps will add to your research, right? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back