What is your Daily Driver IEM and you pure pleasure set?
May 19, 2022 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

HAWKEYE7

100+ Head-Fier
If you are reading this thread you are addicted to this hobby like the rest of us. As such you no doubt have multiple different IEM's and headphones you own. I'm curious what you guys use as your Daily Driver set. Your everyday kick around set you listen to while just going about your day AND what is your Audiophile set. The set you listen to when you want to do some deeper listening for pleasure.

I was an avid audiophile in my teens, back in the 70's and back them I strictly listened to my Marantz and Sansui stereo system. When I did listen to personal audio it was my Pioneer headphone. It has been so long I don't remember what model they were. When I got bit AGAIN by the Audio Bug, about 10 years ago I researched on this sight, became a member and picked up a set of Sennhieser HD650 headphones and a set of Shure SE535 IEM's. I still have them and LOVE them. They were both my daily driver and listen for pleasure sets, until I broke my left side SE535 IEM. I was heartbroken. BUT now I had to get a NEW SET!!! This is when the bug sank it's fangs deeper into me. I began picking up sets wherever I found them and ordering sets that I found interesting/promising from the reviews I was seeing. As a result I have a collection of sets that I enjoy and use for various purposes.

My I.E.M. Inventory: Kinera NaNa, Shuoer Tape, Tin Audio P1, Shure SE535, Shure KSE1200, Blon BL-03, HiFiMan RE400, ThieAudio Voyager 3, Tripowin X HBB Olina, Tripowin X HBB Mele, QKZ VK4, Etymotic ER2XR, Bose TrueSound Ultra, Bose Sound Sport Ultra, Bose MIE2, Bose IE2

I have noticed that I gravitate to 3 sets for about 80% of my listening. My Everyday Driver set I use while working out, doing yard work, going for hikes or bike rides, etc. and 2 sets I use for serious listening and relaxing.

My current Daily driver set is the Tripowin X HBB Mele. I find that this set delivers exactly what was said it would by the reviewers. Excellent clarity, detail and imaging with a slight emphasis on the Bass and sub Bass without compromising the Treble. For the money, this set kills it especially for Rock music.

My Audiophile Set, well I have two, the Kinera NaNa and the Shure KSE1200. I love them both and switch between them for a couple of reasons. For detail, imaging, clarity the Shure KSE1200 is the undisputed King of my collection. Every time I listen to this set I hear things in familiar songs that I do not hear with other sets and sometimes things I had never heard before.I love it.
So, why do I turn to the Kinera NaNa as often as I do for my serious listening? Well, for two reasons. The NaNa is not as detailed, clear or imaging as the KSE1200. BUT, and it is a Big BUT, the NaNa is by far the most 3d holographic set I have ever heard, so far. It is like I'm the center of a bubble and the sound comes to me from all directions. I find this captivating with the right music. When I listen to a well recorded track that is designed to be really immersive this is the set I reach for. The song Amazing by One Eskimo on the Kinera NaNa is a religious experience. It sounds amazing on the KSE1200 too but the NaNa is like taking the music to a dimension higher.

What is your Daily Driver and what is your Audiophile set?

May 19, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 53
Hi. I use a pair of mmcxd Sony MH1s every day and night, EQd to Harman mainly and a bit reduced treble. They are sublime and the most comfortable iem I have ever tried.
When I am in audiophile-mode and don't mind a bit more pressure in the ear, I plunge my Etymotic er2se deep enough and lose myself in music. Both powered by a BTR5 and Deezer HiFi.
Great times for music appreciation. 😁

May 19, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 53
Currently I am daily driving the Penon Serial and using the Oriolus Isabellae for dedicated at-home listening sessions. Although if the incoming Yanyin Moonlight lives up to its promise the Isa could be in some danger there.

May 19, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 53
UM MEST MK II for me - best all around in my line-up!

May 19, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 53
I only have one pair of IEm. Shure 846 so i guess that make them my daily driver and the Audiphile choice. Actually a good description...

May 19, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 53
I only have one pair of IEm. Shure 846 so i guess that make them my daily driver and the Audiphile choice. Actually a good description...
I am very curious about how much better the 846 are over my SE535's This was the IEM that I was deciding between when I got the Kinera NaNa's. I met Jude at one of the Michigan Headfi meets and he had the 846 and the KSE1500 with him. He was letting folks try them out. I tried the KSE1500, was amazed by the detail and fell in love. I never got around to trying the 846 though.

May 19, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 53
UM MEST MK II for me - best all around in my line-up!
I'm also very intrigued by the MEST, all of them. I'm dying to try the bone conduction driver to see/feel what it is like. I was debating between getting the original MEST & a used KSE1200. I opted for the KSE1200 since I had heard it at a local Michigan HeadFi meet up when Jude came in with his KSE1500 set and let people try it out. I don't regret my choice but I do want desperately to try the bone conduction to see what it is like. All I have heard has been very positive.

May 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 53
Daily driver is the Moondrop Blessing 2, but I want to eventually get the U12t and call it quits (for IEMs).
Have you tried the U12T already? I have not.
What made you pick that set?

May 19, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 53
Sennheiser IE 900 as my pleasure set (used to be the SE846, which has now turned into my true wireless set via Shure's TW2 adapters) and KSE1200 as my audiophile set.

I'd recommend the KSE all day every day. Hard to beat an electrostat. My IEM journey stopped there. I then started getting into full-sized, because the journey never really ends in this hobby :)

May 19, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 53
I have owed, tried, and sold many iems in the past 2 years of collecting. I think i am pretty much set now since i know i will never own top tier iems like the Oriolus Trialli.

For the longest time, my daily driver for my dangerous metal fabrication job was the FH3 on the LC-BT2. It had everything i needed for work. Solid design, comfortable fit, and great sound that could be appreciated even with loud machines in the background.

Now I've moved state and can appreciate more iems during the day. Right now i am in a honeymoon phase with the IE300. The fit and comfort is bar-none. And i cannot get over the HUGE and detailed sound that comes out of that tiny iem. It is my current daily driver for everything at home like cutting the grass, washing dishes, keeping an eye on my kids at the park... etc.

When it comes to serious listening, i have my UM Mest 1, and the Tri Starlight. For a long time the Starlight was the champion. But when i got the Mest for a price i could not refuse and decided to try it out. After many months i can't sell it. The Mest gets very close to the Starlight, but i still think the Starlight is a tiny bit more detailed overall. With kids and all, and don't have much time to A-B them, especially since it is so hard to get them to drive at similar levels. The Mest is sensitive like most iems, but the Starlight takes a lot of juice to drive properly.

If i ever win the lottery, i might go for something more expensive. But for the foreseeable future, this seems to be my main rotation.

May 20, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 53
If you are reading this thread you are addicted to this hobby like the rest of us. As such you no doubt have multiple different IEM's and headphones you own. I'm curious what you guys use as your Daily Driver set. Your everyday kick around set you listen to while just going about your day AND what is your Audiophile set. The set you listen to when you want to do some deeper listening for pleasure.

I was an avid audiophile in my teens, back in the 70's and back them I strictly listened to my Marantz and Sansui stereo system. When I did listen to personal audio it was my Pioneer headphone. It has been so long I don't remember what model they were. When I got bit AGAIN by the Audio Bug, about 10 years ago I researched on this sight, became a member and picked up a set of Sennhieser HD650 headphones and a set of Shure SE535 IEM's. I still have them and LOVE them. They were both my daily driver and listen for pleasure sets, until I broke my left side SE535 IEM. I was heartbroken. BUT now I had to get a NEW SET!!! This is when the bug sank it's fangs deeper into me. I began picking up sets wherever I found them and ordering sets that I found interesting/promising from the reviews I was seeing. As a result I have a collection of sets that I enjoy and use for various purposes.

My I.E.M. Inventory: Kinera NaNa, Shuoer Tape, Tin Audio P1, Shure SE535, Shure KSE1200, Blon BL-03, HiFiMan RE400, ThieAudio Voyager 3, Tripowin X HBB Olina, Tripowin X HBB Mele, QKZ VK4, Etymotic ER2XR, Bose TrueSound Ultra, Bose Sound Sport Ultra, Bose MIE2, Bose IE2

I have noticed that I gravitate to 3 sets for about 80% of my listening. My Everyday Driver set I use while working out, doing yard work, going for hikes or bike rides, etc. and 2 sets I use for serious listening and relaxing.

My current Daily driver set is the Tripowin X HBB Mele. I find that this set delivers exactly what was said it would by the reviewers. Excellent clarity, detail and imaging with a slight emphasis on the Bass and sub Bass without compromising the Treble. For the money, this set kills it especially for Rock music.

My Audiophile Set, well I have two, the Kinera NaNa and the Shure KSE1200. I love them both and switch between them for a couple of reasons. For detail, imaging, clarity the Shure KSE1200 is the undisputed King of my collection. Every time I listen to this set I hear things in familiar songs that I do not hear with other sets and sometimes things I had never heard before.I love it.
So, why do I turn to the Kinera NaNa as often as I do for my serious listening? Well, for two reasons. The NaNa is not as detailed, clear or imaging as the KSE1200. BUT, and it is a Big BUT, the NaNa is by far the most 3d holographic set I have ever heard, so far. It is like I'm the center of a bubble and the sound comes to me from all directions. I find this captivating with the right music. When I listen to a well recorded track that is designed to be really immersive this is the set I reach for. The song Amazing by One Eskimo on the Kinera NaNa is a religious experience. It sounds amazing on the KSE1200 too but the NaNa is like taking the music to a dimension higher.

What is your Daily Driver and what is your Audiophile set?

Nice post!

Daily driver: Sony XBA N3 and Tanchjim Oxygen

Audiophile set for stage monitoring/audio work: Sony IER M9

May 20, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 53
I am very curious about how much better the 846 are over my SE535's This was the IEM that I was deciding between when I got the Kinera NaNa's. I met Jude at one of the Michigan Headfi meets and he had the 846 and the KSE1500 with him. He was letting folks try them out. I tried the KSE1500, was amazed by the detail and fell in love. I never got around to trying the 846 though.
I agonise in a similar way. I had the opportunity to try the KSE1500 at the time I bought the 846 but didn't due to sticker shock.
I previously had 425, a very good pop music IEM, and the 846 were a substantial upgrade in terms of transparency and detail. 846 have a very wide flat response which lends itself to a wide range of different music. For my 62 year old ears they need a little boost on treble but bass is smooth and deep. At a guess I would assume the 535 fit somewhat between the 425 and 846. Given the large step between 425 and 846 there could be a discernable step up to the 846 from the 535. I was certainly worried there would be a step up between the 846 and 1500 and I wasn't prepared to take that chance :)
I certainly recommend trying the 846 if you get the chance again. Be aware you might then need to buy them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back