What are the BEST HEADPHONES for DANCE/ELECTRONICA
Jun 30, 2001 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

Paradigm

100+ Head-Fier
Come on guys, If your really into DANCE/TRANCE/ELECTRONICA then who makes the baddest ass phones for that type of music.

People tell me that the Senn HD590 have really good bass and clarity, Also what about GRADO phones.(some tell me that grado lacks bass a little)

Jun 30, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 95
Naw, don't get those Senn's.

The absolute BEST would probably have to be the Grado SR-325's. Grado's DO NOT lack bass. Especially the 325's...

If we're talking about closed phones, than the Sony MDR-V6 is good, as is the Denon AHD-950.

Do you want closed or open?

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 95
Also how much isolation do you want? Because while the Denon 950 is a closed headphone, it has poor isolation compared to the V6.

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 95
Paradigm,

I just demoed the Grado 225/325 a week ago. Both have great bass for techno/trance/ambient. But I prefer the 325s bass and better detail in the upper range, so I ordered it. I tried out a trance album at the store, the 225s were not as tight as the 325s, a bit more muddy. The store also had a Senn 600. Unmistakable Senn sound, but the bass was tight and quite present, almost matching the 325s, but not quite.

The song that did it for me was Massive Attack's Angel from their Mezzanine album, the bass was deep and smooth and the vocals were crystal clear on the 325s.

Regards - reynman

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 95
Thanks guys, I was planning anyhow to get the 325 grado but they are expensive.

Plus they will be for portable use WITH MY minidisc, since I have speakers at home, which will always, (in my opinion be better than phones)

How does one limit there listening experience with just phones. With a sound system you get to feel the music, the subwoofer go through you etc... Although phones provide much better sound quaility. I guess both are a different experience.

Also WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF ELECTROSTATIC HEADPHONES?????

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 95
The sony DJ phones are alright for DJ-ing, but as listening phones they suck for the money you pay.

SONY likes to make there phones pretty, but they sound bad for the money you pay, IMO

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 95
Electrostatics for techno/trance? Boy, that's a good question. Electrostatics are very quick, clean and transparent, but they may not offer you the slam (especially in the bass) that a lot of techno requires. My STAX actually have equal (if not better) bass extension then my Sennhesiers/Grados, but don't have the sheer grunt and impact of either. Personally, I don't miss it, but everyone is different.

And because they are so revealing, they will probably spotlight any sonic nasties in the recording (which may also not be a good thing - some of my techno recordings are not very good).

Grados seem the natural choice for high-energy music like techno (or rock). They do dynamics and impact like nobody's business. And no, like Gluegun states, Grados certainly are not bass-deficient.

If you can, audition some electrostatics, Grados and Sennheisers (and Beyer and AKG, etc). Your ears will be the best judge of what's right for you.

Pretty funny, though - I'm thinking of the engineers at STAX having a collective stroke picturing someone listening to trance on their delicate 'stats!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 95
And not to mention, if you think the SR-325's are expensive, I think you have a VERY LARGE misunderstanding on what Electrostatics actually ARE....

heheheh.....

you got 2 grand to blow on a set of headphones? then get an electrostat. Otherwise, get what I talked about, dude. THOSE are trance/techno/electronica headphones!

For open stuff, anything Grado above the SR-80, preferably SR-325.
for closed, the denon ahd-750 and ahd-950, depending on your budget, and the sony mdr-v6

on the UBER cheap side, the Koss UR-20's...

Jun 30, 2001 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 95
Quote:

you got 2 grand to blow on a set of headphones? then get an electrostat. Otherwise, get what I talked about, dude. THOSE are trance/techno/electronica headphones!

Oh I know!! I saw a pair of the best static's out there for $10,000
Damn I could get a used pair of martin logans for that price.

On a side not would the 325's be good for protable use, seeing how that's mostly what they would be used for.

Jun 30, 2001 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 95
Hmmm...

Well, they're durable.....

They leak a LOT of sound, and they let a LOT of sound in.

But they're aluminum, so they are one of the more sturdy Grado's....

Jun 30, 2001 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 95
If these are just going to be used with a MiniDisc portie, I would say that you should go with one of the following:

1) Sony V6 if you want closed with good bass and pretty flat response.
2) Grado SR-60 if you want more treble/upper midrange (don't go with the 80s -- the 60s are definitely better with the lower power of most portables)
3) Any of the Koss KSC-35, SportaPro, or PortaPro. They each sound *slightly* different, but all have very balanced sound and impressive bass. They are also much smaller than the Sony or Grado.

Personally, for MD portable use, unless you want closed cans, I would go with the Koss without a second thought.

Jun 30, 2001 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 95
Well I will be using a Creek Headphole AMP fwith the minidisc to power my phones. SO would the grado's 325 be a bad idea still???

Oh and I hate Koss, I have always hated the sound from there phones.

Quote:

Sony V6 if you want closed with good bass and pretty flat response.

The Sony V6 are a rip off for the money, they sucks ass for listening too, detail is not there,they sound bright, it does have strong bass but it's not clean and refined. Heck it's a SONY what do you expect.

Jun 30, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #14 of 95
One more thing guys is there really a big difference between the GRADO 325 and the 80's that justify's me to spend the hard cash on the 325. Meaning are the 325 really that much better????
I'm hardcore on techno, but I also listen to POP, ROCK, NEW AGE, Instrumental, all kinds of music.

Jun 30, 2001 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

The Sony V6 are a rip off for the money, they sucks ass for listening too, detail is not there,they sound bright, it does have strong bass but it's not clean and refined. Heck it's a SONY what do you expect.

*GASP!* Sucks for the money!? Are you sure you're talking about the MDR-V6? 'Cause these are regarded to be one of the BEST values for 75 bucks.. Unclean bass you say? Sounds like a description of the MDR-V600 to me.. but I could be wrong..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back