USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #5,866 of 6,519
There’s yet another release coming out: Colorfly CDA-M2. Not much info so far but they posted this teaser on their WeChat page:
IMG_2916.jpeg

“ColorflyHifi
New Product Preview丨CDA-M2
COLORFLY'S NEW M-SERIES FLAGSHIP REFERENCE DECODER IS COMING SOON!
Heterogeneous Sound · Exemplary sound and color
3 days until the release of CDA-M2!”

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #5,867 of 6,519
For the price of a not even extremely expensive DAP you can have many DACs all different from each other... each with its own sound and then with a bit of inventiveness make them sound really good.

dongle (1).jpg

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #5,868 of 6,519
There’s yet another release coming out: Colorfly CDA-M2. Not much info so far but they posted this teaser on their WeChat page
Here a bit more information about it:

Colorfly CDA-M2:
  • CS43198*2 (Dual DAC)
  • 3.5mm SE + 4.4mm BAL
  • 250mW
  • DNR 130 dB
  • SNR 130 dB
  • SPDIF
  • DSD256
  • 32Bit 768kHz
  • available in purple or grey
Sources:
youtube.com/watch?v=yEXcLXqDja4
youtube.com/watch?v=LEboGTk3J5c

Attachments

• colorfly-cda-m2.jpg
    colorfly-cda-m2.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 0
  • colorfly-cda-m2-02.jpg
    colorfly-cda-m2-02.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • colorfly-cda-m2-03.jpg
    colorfly-cda-m2-03.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #5,869 of 6,519
For the price of a not even extremely expensive DAP you can have many DACs all different from each other... each with its own sound and then with a bit of inventiveness make them sound really good.

dongle (1).jpg
I mean, have you got enough?

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #5,870 of 6,519
I mean, have you got enough?
I wanted to end on a high with the iBasso DC-Elite... but from what I've read I guess I'll pass... and I'm waiting for Hiby's FC7 when and if it comes out...

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #5,872 of 6,519
What’s the FC7 meant to be? A balanced FC6?
I hope it will be the evolution of the Hiby FC6... therefore more powerful, with finer volume adjustment, with balanced output, with lower consumption, which sounds better, which costs less, which is better built (button) , with a line out, and all those things where the FC6 can be improved. Too bad it doesn't exist for now... and it's not a given that it will ever exist. But I'm confident... hoping costs nothing. :wink:

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #5,873 of 6,519
@Polky74 what do you think about Colorfly M1P is it worth buying considering its price range that can almost be in the same league as FC6.

Moreover do you really beleive that todays dongle can drive properly over ear cans such as HD600 K702? Or does it need as many say Desktop DAC/AMP?

Can any Dongle considering again the Colorfly M1P be in the same league as Mojo 2?

For these questions I try long time to find an answer.

Thanks for all

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #5,875 of 6,519
@Polky74 what do you think about Colorfly M1P is it worth buying considering its price range that can almost be in the same league as FC6.

Moreover do you really beleive that todays dongle can drive properly over ear cans such as HD600 K702? Or does it need as many say Desktop DAC/AMP?

Can any Dongle considering again the Colorfly M1P be in the same league as Mojo 2?

For these questions I try long time to find an answer.

Thanks for all

I will obviously answer you in a completely personal way. The Colorfly, from what I have read, is certainly part of the type of dongle that pertains to the FC6 as well as the RU6/RU7 and the PAW S2. With these it shares the type of sound that is therefore analogue, musical, smooth and free of harshness especially in the highs. How it compares to all these I can't tell you but certainly costing a third of the others its ratio between cost and audio quality will certainly be superior, but I don't think in an absolute sense (obviously). As for the comparison between dongle and Mojo/Mojo 2 (again from what I've read because I don't own it) it's a completely personal thing, many love the sound of the Mojo, while many others don't like its tone and for this reason they sold it. What makes me desist from purchasing it is the presence of the internal battery and its poor lifespan. Since I've been using dongles I don't particularly like DAPs anymore, precisely because of the battery which inevitably tends to deteriorate. Instead, in the comparison between high-level dongles and DAPs, obviously a dongle alone cannot compete with the amplifiers present in DAPs, but if helped (power supply side and amplification side) I don't think it is very far from them... and in some ways I think that they have no problem overtaking them and I'm not talking about 800/900 dollar DAPs but also 3/4/5 K dollar DAPs. Then if you are lucky enough to find "your" sound with a dongle the distances with the DAPs become sidereal. I have been using my dongles for some time now with a step-down switching power supply and recently with an excellent portable amplifier with an unbeatable cost/quality ratio. With these two simple accessories I am not afraid of comparison with any dap. I repeat (personal opinion)

Step-down switching power supply:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.33.77763696vEwuF4&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Amplifier:

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=75

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #5,876 of 6,519
I have a few questions about Colorfly M1P:
  1. Are volume buttons on iPhone enabled (in addition and seperately to the hardware buttons)?
  2. Is the first volume step low enough for usage with IEMs (not already too loud)?
  3. Is the 4.4mm output more noisy (compared to 3.5mm)?

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #5,877 of 6,519
I will obviously answer you in a completely personal way. The Colorfly, from what I have read, is certainly part of the type of dongle that pertains to the FC6 as well as the RU6/RU7 and the PAW S2. With these it shares the type of sound that is therefore analogue, musical, smooth and free of harshness especially in the highs. How it compares to all these I can't tell you but certainly costing a third of the others its ratio between cost and audio quality will certainly be superior, but I don't think in an absolute sense (obviously). As for the comparison between dongle and Mojo/Mojo 2 (again from what I've read because I don't own it) it's a completely personal thing, many love the sound of the Mojo, while many others don't like its tone and for this reason they sold it. What makes me desist from purchasing it is the presence of the internal battery and its poor lifespan. Since I've been using dongles I don't particularly like DAPs anymore, precisely because of the battery which inevitably tends to deteriorate. Instead, in the comparison between high-level dongles and DAPs, obviously a dongle alone cannot compete with the amplifiers present in DAPs, but if helped (power supply side and amplification side) I don't think it is very far from them... and in some ways I think that they have no problem overtaking them and I'm not talking about 800/900 dollar DAPs but also 3/4/5 K dollar DAPs. Then if you are lucky enough to find "your" sound with a dongle the distances with the DAPs become sidereal. I have been using my dongles for some time now with a step-down switching power supply and recently with an excellent portable amplifier with an unbeatable cost/quality ratio. With these two simple accessories I am not afraid of comparison with any dap. I repeat (personal opinion)

Step-down switching power supply:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.33.77763696vEwuF4&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Amplifier:

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=75
Thank you very much for the info.

The issue that I am stuck to the option of buying a Mojo 2 is that I want a portable solution so as to drive my cans but with enough power.

And as I see only mojo has the power as I see. The internal battery because of the desktop mode I believe that it help the battery. And last the EQ option which is beneficial. As I have read I remember someone said that everything with built in battery has more power and less noise floor compared to a dongle

Can a dongle match Mojo 2 or buying and buying new dongles we may end up having so many that can not step up a portable solution such as Mojo one.

But at the end of the day I believe that the sound is the most crucial factor and I do not know if Mojo 2 sounds better from a less expensive dongle. And if the x3 sometimes price difference can justify the sound difference.

Still confused what to choose but thank you for your opinion.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #5,879 of 6,519
I did just receive the DC06 Pro and off the bat I agree that it sounds like a supercharged DC03 Pro. It has the same sonic hallmarks: Highly detailed, texture is upfront, propulsive energy, a very fast linear type sound. Like the DC03 Pro, the DC06 Pro does not smooth over harsh production. Listening to Heart's 1985 self titled album, full of great songs with some of the harshest 80s production I can think of, the tizziness from the cymbals and sibilants in voices are evident and not hidden, muted, or smoothed out in any way. When the production is smoother, the DC06 Pro presents it smoothly. This is why I disagree with Andy's description of the DC03 Pro and DC06 Pro as colored. I think both are extremely neutral in that they present the recording without significant changes. The 03 Pro and 06 Pro are undeniably more forward but that is not the same thing as coloration.

Compared to the 03 Pro, the 06 Pro has a clear tighter control over the drivers (in BAL out, I'm not bothering with the SE on this one since all my headphones are balanced capable), and better layering, with more nuance in the presentation of instruments. I am hearing more detail, and also can discern more of the mix in terms of instruments that are mixed higher or lower. Listening to Art Blakely Live in Tunisia, I get a sense of space around the instruments. The soundstage feels close to the head though, not massively expansive, and is wider than it is tall.

I've got a DC04 Pro coming for a direct comparison, but that's shipping from China and with the holidays probably won't have it until January. Without that comparison, I can say the DC06 Pro is everything I like about the DC03 Pro, only more so.

Listening done with IE600s with IE Pro tips and ETA O2, source is an iPhone 15 Pro Max and a Macbook Pro.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #5,880 of 6,519
Thank you very much for the info.

The issue that I am stuck to the option of buying a Mojo 2 is that I want a portable solution so as to drive my cans but with enough power.

And as I see only mojo has the power as I see. The internal battery because of the desktop mode I believe that it help the battery. And last the EQ option which is beneficial. As I have read I remember someone said that everything with built in battery has more power and less noise floor compared to a dongle

Can a dongle match Mojo 2 or buying and buying new dongles we may end up having so many that can not step up a portable solution such as Mojo one.

But at the end of the day I believe that the sound is the most crucial factor and I do not know if Mojo 2 sounds better from a less expensive dongle. And if the x3 sometimes price difference can justify the sound difference.

Still confused what to choose but thank you for your opinion.
It is really big but at the end of the day the Mojo 2 is a dongle. A dongle with battery. One of my two dongles (FiiO Q3-MQA) has a battery. Of course the FIiO is a bit smaller, but happens to also have an analog sound like the Mojo.

I had a first generation Mojo on loan for a few weeks, and I really liked it. But it was too darned big for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back