The Fiio X5 Thread
May 24, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #17,566 of 19,652
  Hi folks, Ive read hundreds of pages re x3, x5 and dx90.  I'm knackered looking for a definitive answer to these questions, so I'd appreciate it, if someone could say what the official policy is of fiio, anyway i'd like to know
1) Approxiamately how many recharges/recycles, can the x5 battery take?
2) How much will a replacement battery cost, including postage and packaging (to USA or UK say) , and from where do we get them?
3) Can fiio guarantee the provision of these batteries around the world, given the restrictions and banning by airlines on transporting batteries?
4)How will the battery be replaced, and by whom?
I have not been satisfied by rumours of other people apparently getting replacements for other models, hence my questions here.
Oh and i guess this could apply to to x5ii, as well.
I'm sure a lot of people have these questions as well.

After researching battery life in general where it pertains to DAPs, I choose to go with the DX90 as it seems that the battery life cycle (how many charges it can take) is very limited.

May 24, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #17,567 of 19,652
No contradiction. If you read more carefully, it is the sub-bass that is rolled off, just as it is in many full size reference headphones. Generally speaking these frequencies are felt rather than heard. I'm talking about cannon in 1812 and huge pipe organs - rare in acoustic music.

Well, I listen to a lot of electronic music and rolled sub-bass isn't really a positive attribute for me. As I said, I'm glad it works for you!

Cheers :beerchug:

May 24, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #17,568 of 19,652
Has anyone attempted to use the X5's USB DAC feature through an Android phone? The X5 simply charges from my phone when I hook up the USB OTG cable to the phone (they are both on the supported devices list on the USB Audio Player Pro website).

May 24, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #17,569 of 19,652
Has anyone attempted to use the X5's USB DAC feature through an Android phone? The X5 simply charges from my phone when I hook up the USB OTG cable to the phone (they are both on the supported devices list on the USB Audio Player Pro website).

Works with CM12

May 24, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #17,570 of 19,652
Thanks everyone for your help re the er4s's and x5/c5

They're ordered.
Cheers

May 26, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #17,571 of 19,652
I feel like a barbarian, :xf_eek:
I "only" have two 64 GB cards, with a total of approx. 3,600 songs, so they are 75% full.
I feel like I have a lot of music.

But I do admit to lusting for at least one 128 GB card!

May 26, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #17,572 of 19,652
I feel like a barbarian,
redface.gif

I "only" have two 64 GB cards, with a total of approx. 3,600 songs, so they are 75% full.
I feel like I have a lot of music.

But I do admit to lusting for at least one 128 GB card!

I have have no cards bigger than 64GB either. I have two of those and also two 32GB cards and one 16 GB card. I find the 64 GB cards are cheaper per GB then the 128 GB cards still, and I don't mind changing cards in and out. I did have a chance recently to buy a 128GB Lexar 633X card for $105 from Amazon.ca, which is a very good price north of the 49th, but I waited too long and now the price has gone back up to $150. None of my cards have any room as all of my files are 16/44.1 Flac or higher.

May 26, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #17,573 of 19,652
I have have no cards bigger than 64GB either. I have two of those and also two 32GB cards and one 16 GB card. I find the 64 GB cards are cheaper per GB then the 128 GB cards still, and I don't mind changing cards in and out. I did have a chance recently to buy a 128GB Lexar 633X card for $105 from Amazon.ca, which is a very good price north of the 49th, but I waited too long and now the price has gone back up to $150. None of my cards have any room as all of my files are 16/44.1 Flac or higher.

I forgot I also have a 128 GB USB key which I purchased specifically for use with my X5, so I still have lots of capacity available, if I don't mind hanging the key off the X5.

May 26, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #17,574 of 19,652
I forgot I also have a 128 GB USB key which I purchased specifically for use with my X5, so I still have lots of capacity available, if I don't mind hanging the key off the X5.

Yeah.. there are now lots of ways to easily carry lots of music around. That is why I asked why many people have stated that not having enough "internal" or slot based storage in a device was/is a deal killer for them.

May 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #17,575 of 19,652

Yeah.. there are now lots of ways to easily carry lots of music around. That is why I asked why many people have stated that not having enough "internal" or slot based storage in a device was/is a deal killer for them.

Even with a single microSD slot you are not limited in storage. It's not as convenient as having 2 slots but it won't stop you from carrying all the music you want with you. But I would prefer a single full SD slot than 2 microSD slot. 

May 27, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #17,576 of 19,652

Me too!!!
Space on the board and in the chassis is the problem there.. unfortunately!

May 27, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #17,577 of 19,652
This isn't meant as a dig at the X5, just hopefully a nod to the improvement that will come with the X5 II and the X7, however must say that it isbquite interesting that since upgrading to the ZX2 I've noticed that the X5 codec (or DAC) is lacking a little as there is definite distortion on some music that isn't apparent on the Sony...

May 27, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #17,578 of 19,652
This isn't meant as a dig at the X5, just hopefully a nod to the improvement that will come with the X5 II and the X7, however must say that it isbquite interesting that since upgrading to the ZX2 I've noticed that the X5 codec (or DAC) is lacking a little as there is definite distortion on some music that isn't apparent on the Sony...

My first question is "some music"? Is the X5 just revealing what is really there in the recording and the Sony isn't?

My second question is how is the sound signature of the Sony compared to the X5?

Edit: wondering what FW you are running?

May 27, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #17,579 of 19,652
 Originally Posted by SyntheticShotz 

Works with Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and OTG. But see my next post for a tip... 

May 27, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #17,580 of 19,652
I wanted a DAC for my iPhone and was reading lots of posts and reviews. I saw some people using Apple Camera adapters (AKA CKK) to run DACs. Gave it a shot and no go, the phone says it requires to much power. Anyway a bit more reading today and I see another guy running a DAC through a unpowered HUB to a CKK into an iPhone. So, I gave it a try on the X5 and it works fine. No more need for a new DAC.

So SyntheticShotz, I suggest trying an unpowered hub between your X5 and OTG cable, it may just work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back