The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 3, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #17,071 of 17,484
@ahmedg23 Welp, same problem as mine :|
I updated the db file but got it worse. Now only few files are being displayed. The others don't, not even in Browse Files.
Updated to 3.4 too and no luck.

Is it the end of my X3?
I'll try to downgrade the FW first.

edit: downgrading to FW3.21 works :|

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #17,072 of 17,484
  Strange thing suddenly happening with my X3. I've been using it for at least a year and a half, maybe two years now, running strong!

But now, when I click on "Category," the X3 displays an error message: ! Playback Failed No music found!

It displays the same error message when I click on "Favorites" and when I click on "Now Playing" --> "Play All."

I can only access and play my music by going through the "Browse Files" menu.

There is music on both the internal storage as well as a 128GB sd card. 

When I connect the X3 to my PC, I can access everything no problem.

When the problem occurred, I was running FW 3.34. I just upgraded to 3.4 to see if it would fix the problem, but it did not. 

Any ideas on how I can fix this? I sure hope I can recover my Favorites as I've been building it for quite some time now. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I had a very similar problem to this but it was only browse files that had that error message. I ended up putting everything from my card on my PC so I could reformat the card in the X3. Then I put everything back on the card and it was all fine again and the browsing seemed quicker and more responsive too. This is probably worth trying out. Maybe also test out formatting a different micro SD card in the X3 to see if the same things happens first.

My card happened to have a fault a few months after this happened so I had to return it. I have got a new one again though and it is fine.

Over the time I have had my X3, I think something similar has happened a few times before. Reformatting the card does seem to have sorted it out though. However, you probably will loose playlists but I can't be sure as I don't have any.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #17,073 of 17,484
There should be a couple of db files in the internal storage. One is the entire library, and the other - I think - is the active playlist (so it can resume). These will be hidden system files, so you'll need to take the necessary steps to see them (instructions are in this thread). Not sure how the favourites are stored - don't use them myself, so I can't say how they'll be effected, but if you delete the previous files the "should" be like new.

I've found, for whatever reason, my sd cards get a little wiggy after a while. Probably has to do with the constant adding/deleting music. One moment everything is happy, next time the database update freezes due to corrupt files - that were perfectly fine before. A reformat always fixes it.

Maybe just try backing up the music off your sd card, reformatting it (using the X3) and copy the music back, delete the db files, redo the update and hope your favs are still there
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #17,074 of 17,484
You say you have music stored in the internal memory as well as the 128GB card.  Is this because the sd card is full?  You should avoid filling the internal memory, especially with enough music files to fill a 128GB card.  Early on (3 years ago) I had a smaller card and had issues when I nearly filled the internal memory.  Now I only put music on the sd card.

If you don't know what files to delete, you can remove the sd card and do a manual update.  That should get things working again with the files on the internal memory.  Insert the card and update again.  If the problems come back, reformat the sd card as suggested.  I believe I had to perform a reformat once as well, after adding/deleting/modifying (to correct tags) many files over time.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #17,075 of 17,484
  You say you have music stored in the internal memory as well as the 128GB card.  Is this because the sd card is full?  You should avoid filling the internal memory, especially with enough music files to fill a 128GB card.  Early on (3 years ago) I had a smaller card and had issues when I nearly filled the internal memory.  Now I only put music on the sd card.

If you don't know what files to delete, you can remove the sd card and do a manual update.  That should get things working again with the files on the internal memory.  Insert the card and update again.  If the problems come back, reformat the sd card as suggested.  I believe I had to perform a reformat once as well, after adding/deleting/modifying (to correct tags) many files over time.

Shouldn't be a problem to have some music on the internal storage as long as its not stuffed full. I keep about 600mb free on mine and haven't had any problems. Think I've read that ssds should have 10% free space at all times, might apply to sd cards and internal memory too

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #17,076 of 17,484
So odd...I definitely have my folder options set to display hidden files, however there are no hidden files displayed on the internal X3 drive.

Only one db file: usrlocal_media2.db

I'm about to try @FrankC suggestion and if it doesn't work then I'll proceed with reformatting as others have suggested.

Thanks so much for the responses guys.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #17,077 of 17,484
Hi, I recently bought the FiiO X3 2nd Gen and I did all the steps in starting up the device. But when I started listening some tracks through the player, only the left earpiece is playing music. I tried both my Sony MDR-XB50AP and ATH M50x and both of them only played through the left earpiece. the right is silent. What do I do? :frowning2:

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #17,078 of 17,484
I use 64GB and 128GB cards in my X3. All the files seem to be accounted for in the library, but if I have more than about 32GB of music in the library, Shuffle mode never accesses all the folders. Has anyone else seen this? If it's a bug, I'll have to live with it since we'll never see another update, but it would be good to know.

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #17,079 of 17,484
  Hi, I recently bought the FiiO X3 2nd Gen and I did all the steps in starting up the device. But when I started listening some tracks through the player, only the left earpiece is playing music. I tried both my Sony MDR-XB50AP and ATH M50x and both of them only played through the left earpiece. the right is silent. What do I do? :frowning2:

Sounds like a dirty headphone jack. I know it's a new unit, but the jack can pick up small bits of debris in manufacturing.

Try a good blast of compressed air into the jack to clean it out.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #17,080 of 17,484

It would be best to ask here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote

Not that is isn't a problem that the original X3 won't have but at least this thread I posted is the 2nd Gen thread. It may help if you ask there
redface.gif

If you have had it more that a year, I'm not sure what you will be able to do. If you have had it under a year and it is still under the warranty, then contact FiiO and describe your issue.

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #17,081 of 17,484
  So odd...I definitely have my folder options set to display hidden files, however there are no hidden files displayed on the internal X3 drive.

Only one db file: usrlocal_media2.db

I'm about to try @FrankC suggestion and if it doesn't work then I'll proceed with reformatting as others have suggested.

Thanks so much for the responses guys.

Assuming your on Windows, you'll also need to uncheck "hide system files" (or something along those lines). Back up the db files before you delete, one may be where the favourites are stored and hopefully you can put it back when everything is working correctly again.
Don't forget to rehide system files when your done so nothing important gets accidentally erased from your PC

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #17,082 of 17,484
Assuming your on Windows, you'll also need to uncheck "hide system files" (or something along those lines). Back up the db files before you delete, one may be where the favourites are stored and hopefully you can put it back when everything is working correctly again.
Don't forget to rehide system files when your done so nothing important gets accidentally erased from your PC

OK, I'll double check that tonight.

I had also sent in an email to Fiio and here was their response:

Sorry to hear that. Pls try the following methods
1. Try to delete the database, then update the library.http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39951&highlight=database
2. Connect x3 to your pc then format the internal memory the transfer the music back to test.

So pretty much what you all have suggested, with the addition of one more trial: formatting the internal drive.

Will give this all a shot tonight.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #17,084 of 17,484
I have a chance to purchase a sealed, no warranty X3 for $89 - is it worth it?

Plan to use it for my upcoming Monk and RE00 (from MD). And time to time connect to my old JDSLabs C421 amp.

Albeit old, for $89 it still packs many features so I would say yeah it's worth it.
I bought mine before the 2nd gen came out, so I paid 199€ :|

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #17,085 of 17,484
I have a chance to purchase a sealed, no warranty X3 for $89 - is it worth it?

Plan to use it for my upcoming Monk and RE00 (from MD). And time to time connect to my old JDSLabs C421 amp.

I would also get it, its a slightly better sounding DAP than the X3ii to me with the headphones that I have.  I paid $179 back in Mar 2014, still looks like new and the batter still holds a 8-9 hour charge, granted my GF only uses it 3-5 times per week when she walks the dog using a HD-700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back