The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Feb 27, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #9,616 of 9,972

From page 5 of the X3 II manual:

"•If the update process fails repeatedly, please try putting the X3II.fw file in a micro SD card of 32GB or under, formatted using the X3’s built in formatting function (System settings ->Storage formatting). CAUTION: all data and music on a card will be erased by formatting."

Early on FiiO suggested using 32GB or smaller cards for updating.

May help or not, I do not know in your case.

JMTC,
r2

If you use a 32 gb card you wont have any issue, the problem with downdate and update come when you use bigger cards

Thank you guys for the help I'll try that 

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #9,617 of 9,972
  Thanks for the answers.
I have found good reviews for the Shanling M1 that also works as a DAC, but they only compare it to Fiio X1.
Do you think that M1 and X3 II are comparable in sound quality or shoud X3 II be always a clear winner? I see they use different hardware but can't find if there are many differences between they both.
If they are really similar I would spend the money difference in a 128 Gb MicroSD card.

Regards.

I have owned the X3 II and used it as a DAC, and am currently have the M1.  Until last week I owned both concurrently; so my comparisons are based on listening side by side.  Hint:  The unit that was sold was the X3 II.  

Neither are perfect units as DACs.    The X3 II can handle DSD files; whereas the M1 does not natively handle DSD.  

The X3 II also draws less power from the iphone than the M1.  But I think the M1 has a slightly smoother sound than the X3 II.

Both the X3II and the M1 are very solid units.  No hardware problems with either.  In fact, I have never had a hardware problem with any FIIO unit, and I have owned 4 and am likely to own them again (X5 III looks very promising for example).

For about the same price as the X3II you could also look at the Shanling M2.  The M2 in my opinion is the sleeper unit; few know about it and I think it provides very solid value for money.  The Cayin N3 also looks promising.

Financially the M1 is probably a good bet.  It is a super popular unit right now so if you don't like it the resale should be pretty good.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #9,618 of 9,972
Hello all :)

I am loving the Fiio X3 II, even with the quirks.

One stupid thing has me confuzzled though, and I have searched for answers with no luck. I use it at work and have it plugged into my computer, just for power (Listening through Bose QC3's).

When I have to take a call, the unit will often shut off. I can awaken it with the power button, but it awakens in transfer to computer mode. After pressing all the buttons for a while I can get it to play nice, but I feel like a monkey using an ipad. What is the proper way to waken it, or what settings do I need to adjust?

Thanks for any help.

Tony.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #9,619 of 9,972
Just got my Fiio x3 2nd gen and I'm loving it. I'm pairing it with a peachtree shift amplifier sounds amazing.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #9,620 of 9,972
  Hello all :)

I am loving the Fiio X3 II, even with the quirks.

One stupid thing has me confuzzled though, and I have searched for answers with no luck. I use it at work and have it plugged into my computer, just for power (Listening through Bose QC3's).

When I have to take a call, the unit will often shut off. I can awaken it with the power button, but it awakens in transfer to computer mode. After pressing all the buttons for a while I can get it to play nice, but I feel like a monkey using an ipad. What is the proper way to waken it, or what settings do I need to adjust?

Thanks for any help.

Tony.

Dear Tony,
 When I have to take a call, the unit will often shut off.  I can awaken it with the power button, but it awakens in transfer to computer mode.

How do you collect the X3II with your computer? Or some other device? What's the USB mode you are choosing? I failed to get your point well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 28, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #9,622 of 9,972
Question: Is it worth it to upgrade my X3II to the X5II in terms of sound? the X5II has a good price now. I really do not want to spend the 450+ for the new X5III. Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #9,623 of 9,972
Question: Is it worth it to upgrade my X3II to the X5II in terms of sound? the X5II has a good price now. I really do not want to spend the 450+ for the new X5III. Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Given the dual mSd, better driving power, better display - readable outside, cleaner sound, and that it's going to be faster in usage if you install a fast custom UI, it is a good idea, of those things answer to your needs .

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #9,624 of 9,972
Which cable "jack to rca" you are using guys? 

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #9,625 of 9,972
  Which cable "jack to rca" you are using guys? 

The one that came in the box with X3ii 
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #9,626 of 9,972
Mar 1, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #9,628 of 9,972
Mar 1, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #9,629 of 9,972
Personally I did not think the X5II was a monster step up from the X3II.

I know its a budget thing, but early reviews of the X5III are positive.  That is likely to be a meaningful step up.
In the US the X5 III pricing is about $399.

Also, there is a new X3 III on the way in a few months.

I will be testing the X5 III unit out on a tour.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #9,630 of 9,972
  Personally I did not think the X5II was a monster step up from the X3II.

I know its a budget thing, but early reviews of the X5III are positive.  That is likely to be a meaningful step up.
In the US the X5 III pricing is about $399.

Also, there is a new X3 III on the way in a few months.

I will be testing the X5 III unit out on a tour.  

X5ii has my favorite treble though 
biggrin.gif

X5-3 has a great UI, build, bass and mids, it is something special. If you like smooth treble, it is the best DAP I tested to date 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back