The discovery thread!
May 19, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #102,121 of 104,197
Merga Orangy Reemergence
(I felt almost qualified to apply for a KZ text writer position, and to include tongue twisters as a skill in my resume:))
20240519_082154.jpg
Merga has been fitted and explored with Lacquer/Liquor tips - and it definitely worked!
Not to transform $13 to $1500 IEM, and my expectations were quite high - but treble and mids were a bit attenuated by these tips to bring a bit more midbass.
The result - light not thin, "light and plucky (as in pizzicato)" would be my main description of Merga. 4 membranes of 2 DDs are oscillating readily perhaps (?)
Again, a likeable overall tuning from the start. The treble is nicely extended.
From ZS10 pro series - this signature is great for electric guitars. Works nicely for classical strings (limited me do prefer BA rendering).

To try to summarize - Merga can definitely make a great first IEM; for more seasoned audiophiles here - rather not Trio (Trio is more earthy and easier to like right away). So if you may look for a lighter sound (not sacrificing deep bass) - Merga is there.
With 2 DDs, Merga beats EDX/EDA series in many/most features. Great IEM under $20. Not outcompeting Castor Harman to my ears, but technically more advanced (a tie).
I did a bunch of AB tests today to finalise the review of some IEMs. It shocks me how similar most of them sound, with perhaps a bit better stage there, nicer bass here. Too many same same.

Perhaps our community needs to recall that our brain can EQ anything and if they want something “cool” with character, they need to deviate from the same Harman-ish target.
AB tests really started to scary me after I realized that ears/brain adjustment to B after A, and to A after B can take more than 15 minutes, so fast flipping does not remove previous bias (imprint, hysteresis) and may be very limited.
My revelation came from Celest Phoenixcall- which felt a bit timid and uneventful at first due to its low pinna gain, I surmise,(many of my favourite IEMs have huge pinna gains of 12+ dB - my ears/brain survive and enjoy it). With Phoenixcall, I was lucky to leave it in my ears for about 30 minutes, and there I was amazed that my ears/brain realign to start to resolve finer features with this signature in a very different and very much enjoyable experience.
Plutus were a great experience in a different plane, so it was no way that I could not order Relentless (almost here).
In the same vein, AS24 - while plain to many from the first impressions - totally shine for me when listening in longer time sessions.

After this revelational experience, I am trying to listen for longer times as much as I can, and have harder time to understand how anyone can deliver any unbiased impressions orher than spending tons of time and efforts!

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #102,122 of 104,197
@Redcarmoose Or anyone else compare the Shozy B2 with FiiO FD5? They graph similar minus the FD5 better separating the bass from mids but the B2 is really that much smoother sounding despite the graphs? Bass difference aside, I’d imagine the Shozy still being kinda sharp in lower treble.

May 19, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #102,123 of 104,197
So question for you beautiful iem lovers, and @o0genesis0o <3, do you know of any items that are similar to the JM1 target. I'm doing um... research here is a few I got and where.

I know the Dunu Davinci which is hyped is done to the jm1 target.
1716097702915.png
If you don't believe that it is hyped check out this poll from my little channel.
1716097778314.png

I also know the waner is really close to it.

1716098588610.png
And this new project from Crinacle.
1716098630103.png
Anyhow, just thinking about this new meta target. Anyone know of anything close?
Kiwi Ears Quintet?

May 19, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #102,124 of 104,197
E6ML-8-950x500.png

Guys, I was watching a video here comparing the "Penon 10th Anniversary vs Letshuoer x HBB EJ07m kinda lava", and I noticed that the sound of the "Penon 10th Anniversary" is very similar to the Simgot EM6L, take a look at these two videos:

I wanted to know how the Simgot EM6L would sound if we used a Qudelix 5K to make the EM6L similar to the 10th, would the sound be even more similar?
1716126689738.png
Would the EM6L be a great value for money?

Besides being small and cute

May 19, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #102,126 of 104,197
I can't particularly pin point the IEM, but the target reminds me of several "well-tuned" IEM combined together.

Wait, got it. Elysian DIVA 2023 in middle bass position. Look at the deeply tucked bass shelf and the "fat" hump on the raise from 1 kHz to 3 kHz.

Edit: the roll down after the 3kHz is something different. But it make sense since the coupler becomes unreliable after that area anyway.

"Project" Knight. Interesting. The "project" part makes me think of FAudio.

Btw

qlriw6dl.png
lol I’m just at a point where often times I just know. But I’ve been slightly wrong in the past and failed to share details. With the Explorer it’s such a win with so few flaws. Sounds like glass. I’d love to hear your impressions of it.

May 19, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #102,127 of 104,197
E6ML-8-950x500.png
Guys, I was watching a video here comparing the "Penon 10th Anniversary vs Letshuoer x HBB EJ07m kinda lava", and I noticed that the sound of the "Penon 10th Anniversary" is very similar to the Simgot EM6L, take a look at these two videos:

I wanted to know how the Simgot EM6L would sound if we used a Qudelix 5K to make the EM6L similar to the 10th, would the sound be even more similar?
1716126689738.pngWould the EM6L be a great value for money?

If the Simgot fits it’s pretty nice. The upper mids are kinda eh, it’s a little bright and the metal shell bothers me but it’s still a great set.

May 19, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #102,128 of 104,197
I don't own either set but probably not, as the Penon 10th uses 2 6mm DD's instead of one 8mm DD and the 10th uses EST's for the top end. So it would be natural to assume that EQ'ing them to be alike would not make them sound the same.

May 19, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #102,129 of 104,197
@Redcarmoose Or anyone else compare the Shozy B2 with FiiO FD5? They graph similar minus the FD5 better separating the bass from mids but the B2 is really that much smoother sounding despite the graphs? Bass difference aside, I’d imagine the Shozy still being kinda sharp in lower treble.
B2 has 3 nozzles and the sound can be pretty different: from dark and warm to quite bright.

May 19, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #102,130 of 104,197
I will say though that the ISN cable that comes with the B2 really does complement well aesthetically.
The cable SC4 makes B2 more V-shaped. I prefer better cables with B2.

May 19, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #102,132 of 104,197
@cqtek Thanks a lot for your in depth review!
Even if I repeat myself here, but I catch myself continuously reaching out to my Himalaya... They are such a fun and engaging listen, yet quite detailed and the soundstage is, as you also experienced, close to breathtaking. It really has a somewhat special and refreshingly different tuning.

The only two gripes I have with them is 1) I wish they would be just a bit more prominent in the lows... just a tiny little bit.
And 2) the fit. Even with the Sigmot nozzle tuning kit and it's longer nozzles, I had to tip roll a lot to find a satisfying fit and isolation.

Nevertheless, even then I can't stop listening with them, and I have at least two well higher priced IEMs than the 300$ Himalaya.

EDIT: I'd love to see a FQ response curve with the Sigmot nozzles and the medium 300 Mesh. ... anyone? please?

E6ML-8-950x500.png

Sorry to say you could eq the two to the same curve but the two are so far apart in technicalities and overall level of playback the EM6L doesn't have the chops to get close. NO EST no 2 DD and the BA quality sets the 10th apart not only from the EM6L but lots of others in its price range or more.

While the EM6L is exemplary for its price and one of the best tuned Simgots its missing the special sauce.

May 19, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #102,134 of 104,197
You know, whenever I have the illusion that I somehow know how to tune IEM, manufacturers always managed to show me how much I don’t know.

Case and point, the project ACE. When I look at the preproduction graph, I was like “no, it would be too piercing, it would not have good soundstage, it would be too muted, it would sound unnatural” couldn’t be further from truth when I actually hear the IEM 😂 It would be cool to talk to folks like Lee (Elysian), Subtonic/Symphonium/Nightjar team, Steve (Hiby), Michael (Dita Project M) and understand how they actually tune an IEM. Fascinating.
It's always interesting hearing someone talk in-depth about their craft, but the further in-depth the conversation goes, the more it goes over my head lol.

giphy.gif

Single DD from QDC? This is going on the watch list.

The original Superior was really nice, QDC tuning. Not the most technical driver, but decent. Had a slightly softer sound instead of something very clear and resolving.

Ergonomics of the shell was excellent, similar to VX and V14 but much smaller.

Had it on loan for some time, was about to order it but never got around to it.

The original had borderline to much Pina gain, didn't sound bad to me since the DD sounded how it did(if this make sense, example Simgot EA500 was shout fest in comparison)

The new version have a retuned upper mids, to me look better.

1000040752.png
1000040751.png

The new version have gone from resin shell to Aluminum, will feel more premium.

Don't need one, but tempted to order one 🤔
I had ordered the QDC Superior OG last year, but ended up canceling after a few days with no shipping updates. I was still pretty new in the hobby back then so I'm pretty sure I picked up something else right away.. probably the Sound Rhyme DTE900.

Anyway, the QDC x Fitear collab got me interested again so I ordered it from Amazon JP yesterday and it should be arriving here sometime this week!
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0866BT3ST

May 19, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #102,135 of 104,197
E6ML-8-950x500.png

While the EM6L is exemplary for its price and one of the best tuned Simgots
I agree with TDM. The EM6L is great for it's price and really is my favorite tuned Simgot to date but it can't match up against much higher tiered iems. It's still worth a listen for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back