The discovery thread!
May 9, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #100,936 of 102,242
Hmmmm. Looks cool for Rock and Roll!
Look at that region between 1kHz and the peak at 3kHz. It's almost certainly built on the corpse framework of Dunu Vulkan :beyersmile: (which is a good thing)

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #100,937 of 102,242
Since you're sensitive to upper mid and treble sibilance, have you considered the Volume's goth-sibling, the Twilight? It's my favorite warm IEM that doesn't make vocalists sound like they're singing from under a heavy blanket.

1715224523173.png

This is one of the tracks I use for testing vocal sibilance. I also use the 10sec mark to test mid bass impact, but pretty much the first minute is very electrifyingly sparkly between the female and male vocalists. The Twilight is my least sparkly IEM with this track.

What a great track. Thanks for throwing that one my way. Sent it to my kids.

May 9, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #100,938 of 102,242
Much of the time it is not exactly the bass amount. Actually really almost all the time, the bass has nothing to do with how much bass frequency is added........with-in common reason. What determines the overall bass tonality is the found balance in relation to the other standout peaks, or overall demeanor formulated in the upper range. Now this statement is overly simplistic, yet I think it gets my point across?
graph-14.png

Look at that region between 1kHz and the peak at 3kHz. It's almost certainly built on the corpse framework of Dunu Vulkan :beyersmile: (which is a good thing)
I would go so far as saying this slight forwardness centering around 2kHz (in contrast to the VULKAN) will obtain a different vocal tone, in addition to that other treble peak the VULKAN had, which again...............considering over-all balance, made a difference.........no matter how much you give it for measurement tool resonance addition at 8kHz?

So the short answer here, this IEM will come-off more bass laden (and smoother) due to removal of the VULKAN treble peak. IMO

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #100,939 of 102,242
That IEM fits kinda weird though.

I think we need to call out IEMs with weird fit in the future. It's as if some engineers expect people to have dumbo's ears to wear their IEMs.
SR5 - Stupid large. Why I had to part with them. The Aures are not too far off, but I use Coreir tips so they aren't going anywhere.

May 9, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #100,940 of 102,242
PENON VOLTAGE
4EST+4BA+2DD Hybrid with 2 Tuning Switches Flagship Audiophile In-ear Monitor
The earphone shell use medical grade resin, light and beautiful, comfortable to wear.
The universal mold structure has higher reliability and provides better wearing experience.
Fully handmade earphone is solid and more durable.
Introduction of Voltage 2 Dynamic Drivers
The two independent 8mm Dynamic Drivers use fiber composite biofilms plus flexible hanging edge diaphragms. The characteristics of the high damping of biofilms ensure that the Dynamic Drivers will not produce additional resonance due to split vibration at medium and high frequencies, and at the same time bring smooth and natural timbre features.
2 Tuning Switches, tuning modes
12: High Frequency & Low Frequency Enhancement
10: Low Frequency Enhancement
02: High Frequency Enhancement
00: Original mode
US$1199.00
440358449_2088527948194128_3235535519839785971_n.jpg440358486_2088528454860744_8228501901584415475_n.jpg441277340_2088527951527461_3986762001948785663_n.jpg441546153_2088528008194122_5596427113751992276_n.jpg
Volare is $599.00 for basically the same config and getting crazy positive reviews. $1,200? Buy a Volare and save the rest of the money for a killer DAP or another crushing mid-fi IEM? TMR X? Elysian Pilgrim? Both?

May 9, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #100,941 of 102,242
My spidey sense is tingling. Shiller-caller-outers incoming.

giphy.gif

May 9, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #100,942 of 102,242
May 9, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #100,943 of 102,242
Volare is $599.00 for basically the same config and getting crazy positive reviews. $1,200? Buy a Volare and save the rest of the money for a killer DAP or another crushing mid-fi IEM? TMR X? Elysian Pilgrim? Both?
Still the money (differences) becomes of value only after hearing it. We are all online discussing in this thread mostly maybe 60% unheard products, with the other 40% being older and retailed IEMs.

Volare is $599.00.......speculation, of course I have heard neither, so this is all basically just parlor talk.........Lol.

The difference even if having the same parts:

Meaning we are 97% the same DNA building blocks from Chimpanzee's DNA. Yet, that small amount makes a huge difference. Myself I love the $499.00 Penon 10th Anniversary.........where price is almost meaningless?

parlor talk:
Middle English parlour, parlur "room off a hall set aside for private conversation, room (as in a monastery) where speech is permitted," borrowed from Anglo-French parlur, parlour, from parler "to speak, talk" + -ur, -or (continental Old French -oir), going back to Latin -ōrius -ory.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #100,944 of 102,242
Indeed .. Great reviews on I/O Volare. Very intrigued. Slotting it into the New634earsflagship/Cantor/Volare category. One of em to be bought by the end of the year. Cantor will make the job easier by not appearing by then.

May 9, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #100,945 of 102,242
Indeed .. Great reviews on I/O Volare. Very intrigued. Slotting it into the New634earsflagship/Cantor/Volare category. One of em to be bought by the end of the year. Cantor will make the job easier by not appearing by then.
I'm getting tugged between the Volare (which I almost bought but due to our car accident, had to pull out and cancel) and the Hydro, and i'm intrigued with possibly making the Explorer my first AFUL purchase, if the stage isn't narrow like the others (minus the MagicOne).

May 9, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #100,946 of 102,242
Still the money (differences) becomes of value only after hearing it. We are all online discussing in this thread mostly maybe 60% unheard products, with the other 40% being older and retailed IEMs.

Volare is $599.00.......speculation, of course I have heard neither, so this is all basically just parlor talk.........Lol.

The difference even if having the same parts:

Meaning we are 97% the same DNA building blocks from Chimpanzee's DNA. Yet, that small amount makes a huge difference. Myself I love the $499.00 Penon 10th Anniversary.........where price is almost meaningless?

parlor talk:
Middle English parlour, parlur "room off a hall set aside for private conversation, room (as in a monastery) where speech is permitted," borrowed from Anglo-French parlur, parlour, from parler "to speak, talk" + -ur, -or (continental Old French -oir), going back to Latin -ōrius -ory.
Sometimes, if a business wants to stay relevant and also distribute hits that will gather a rabid following, you either have to go gonzo like the STORM or the Annihilator, OR you need to survey the land and see what's in that midfi-lower kilobuck that's making noise, and price accordingly, and release a banger, so that a larger group than watercooler aficionados take notice? 1 ) You release with responsible spacing between products, so that product has a chance to catch on and marinade, and 2 ) Price competitively with what's being talked about and getting notice. Otherwise, it's just going to be ignored or forgotten days or weeks after release, regardless of initial praise or push.

May 9, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #100,947 of 102,242
DSC_1209.jpegx.jpeg
DSC_1272.jpegdone.jpeg

Preamble:
Well I have the Night Oblivion Butastur in my hands...........as of this afternoon! When in reality I have been following this IEM (from the start) and never actually thought I would get a chance to hear it. Am I surprised? Yes, why? Well often you read too much about a product and start to consciously or unconsciously form opinions before even hearing it. Ideas as to maybe what the final sound will be, even though I know the only real way to know what an IEM sounds like is to hear it.

First impressions:
Probably the bass is what I first dig the most. I mean there has been a long history of just so-so bass from pure BA IEMs in my past. I really like Hybrids the most. Yet this is good, no better than good, the bass is great. Way different than I was expecting.

NO_Butastur_vs_Anole.jpg

Sure I heard the qdc Anole VX, but it was in a shop and a long long time ago. Where before the Night Oblivion Butastur was made I remember American Spirit talking about the VX. Then just recently I found this graph...............probably many of you have already seen. And it seems he addressed some Anole VX ideas and pushed this whole tune in a subtly smoother direction while at the same time delineating all the details he needed to? Is it a better tune than the VX? Well it was a while ago, but from memory yes, the tune is more what I have come to look for in an IEM. Truthfully I'm not sure exactly how many 10 BA IEMs I have, not many, only maybe three? Only one past flagship............the Noble K-10 Encore, the Encore is really a good comparison for the Night Oblivion Butastur. Reason being is the Night Oblivion has better bass, and has included a fairly straightforward treble approach........less heated than both the VX and way, way less heated than the Encore. This simply goes with the style of midrange present to make the Night Oblivion very mainstream accessible. I mean really this is what so many IEMs would love to sound like, but at times, and for whatever reason they never get there? Very, very integrated with (it seems) every hole filled in the way the frequency response sits. This is even, complete and correct as far as tuning in my book. Technicalities.........the stage is super nice, of course BA fall-off is going to be way faster than DDs........yet we are gifted with nice note weight and reverberations regardless of the BAs? Not the ample best of course, but we are walking a fine line here, trying to included everything and the kitchen sink! :)

Timbre is great!

I mean it is the technicalities of how the bass is performed that has me smitten, and maybe because I just didn't expect BA bass to be this good. It is that we always regard the BA bass as holding wonderful transients and pace..........and the detail of BAs.......but not the real kick of DDs and all the DD texture. Yet, still I'm loving this style of bass replay, as somehow it is correct and somehow new to me. While playing the drums in an intro to this next song...................

Opium
DCD
Anastasis
44.1kHz - 24bit

Where sure I have heard the drums denser, but then the rest of the song starts to kinda showcase other attributes.......and becomes a listening joy. Those attributes have to do with great imaging and wonderful separation into the realization that these are very detailed IEMs.

Though that detail lays its performance in a nonchalant way, as almost not trying, only because we don't have those intense treble or upper midrange fires to extinguish. Everything is digestible and even though I haven't tried it, the Night Oblivion Butastur seems like it may be good for long listening runs?

Now I understand the bragging and the idealism put forth from American Spirit and the builder. That this is a form of ideal tune, in a world with such a thing being a little hard to find. Sure the stage isn't the biggest ever, but the Night Oblivion Butastur goes another step forward to make you not care, as the imaging and clarity is there so the stage starts to create the illusion of being way bigger than it is. Maybe the fact that it seems all bases have been covered here, that there is a completeness that I find incredibly amicable in nature. It is this evenness and completeness that actually makes this a classic.........as such it isn't under the pressure of being the next greatest thing. The purity is a value that never ever gets old or goes out of style. They will continue to sell these for a very long time!

These are very difficult to get a photo to come-out the way they look in real-life.

Probably this......LOL.........looks like them the most?
DSC_1233.jpegqz.jpeg

DSC_1262.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1255.jpegzwxq.jpeg
DSC_1204.jpegac.jpeg
DSC_1307.jpegs2.jpeg
Cheers! :)

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #100,948 of 102,242
Sometimes, if a business wants to stay relevant and also distribute hits that will gather a rabid following, you either have to go gonzo like the STORM or the Annihilator, OR you need to survey the land and see what's in that midfi-lower kilobuck that's making noise, and price accordingly, and release a banger, so that a larger group than watercooler aficionados take notice? 1 ) You release with responsible spacing between products, so that product has a chance to catch on and marinade, and 2 ) Price competitively with what's being talked about and getting notice. Otherwise, it's just going to be ignored or forgotten days or weeks after release, regardless of initial praise or push.

Actually, there's another business model: release IEMs every week (sometimes two a day cough cough Merga and Libra). Throw as much stuff on a wall and hope something sticks. For every 10 IEMs that fall by the wayside, heck it, depend on that 1 golden ticket to rake in the moolah.

We might be joking about the weekly forgettable sidegradish releases, but actually they may have the last laugh, taking home a cool 5 - 10 million USD a year!

POKEMONS FTW!!!

1.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #100,949 of 102,242
I'm getting tugged between the Volare (which I almost bought but due to our car accident, had to pull out and cancel) and the Hydro, and i'm intrigued with possibly making the Explorer my first AFUL purchase, if the stage isn't narrow like the others (minus the MagicOne).
Huh! The award for most casual mention of a car accident goes to... Great you alive and kicking TrNs!

Hope explorer has that secret sauce. Haven't heard MagicOne but based on several raves, was hoping they would go with that tuning for explorer. Nevertheless, fingers crossed. Will decide between that and Hydro.

Volare am putting in that higher category of difficult decision making due to its cost.

May 9, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #100,950 of 102,242
Huh! The award for most casual mention of a car accident goes to... Great you alive and kicking TrNs!

Hope explorer has that secret sauce. Haven't heard MagicOne but based on several raves, was hoping they would go with that tuning for explorer. Nevertheless, fingers crossed. Will decide between that and Hydro.

Volare am putting in that higher category of difficult decision making due to its cost.
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah. We're both fine (seatbelt wearers), but we got rear-ended, and the vehicle might be a total? Though the perps insurance is covering most of the post accident bs, there's some things we have to cover ourselves, so no IEM purchases for a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back