The discovery thread!
Dec 10, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #90,991 of 104,190
Could anyone compare BQEYZ wind to the FOTMs EA1000 and OD200?
My take: the Wind is quite hard to get to play at its best. It needs plenty of power, ideally a warm source and carful choice of tips. If you get it wrong it is bright and unimpressive, but when it plays its best it has a huge immersive sound with a powerful bass.

The EA1000 is naturally bright, but that can be tamed with tip and cable choices. The details and timbre are great, but the real star of the show is the passive radiator. It adds a hint of reverb to the sound, in a very musical way. The effect is subtle, but on top of a great and well tuned DD it really takes the EA1000 to the next level.

The OD200’s claim to fame is a lovely timbre. It just makes everything sound good. I found the stock cable, while beautiful, held it back. There is also a bit too much energy in the upper mids, which needed to be tamed for my taste. Once the mids were dealt with using tips & cable, it’s a lovely and versatile IEM.

All 3 are superior IEMs, but the Wind and OD200 need at least a little effort to sound their best. If you want to have something very different and don’t mind putting in the effort, go for the Wind. If you want a warm and easy sound to listen to, OD200. If you want a great blend of technical performance and tonality, with a unique twist, EA1000.

If I had to recommend just 1 without knowing anything about the listener, it would be the EA1000.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #90,993 of 104,190
Headphones.com folks really do not give us the uncompensated graph any more, aren’t they?

Anyhow, a few IEMs that have rather nice tonality recently has been “task failed successfully” when it comes to Harman adherence. Time for Sean Olive to update the target with new gear.

Edit: Listener’s review is awesome, btw. Gold mine for audio nerds / geeks.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #90,994 of 104,190
Headphones.com folks really do not give us the uncompensated graph any more, aren’t they?

Anyhow, a few IEMs that have rather nice tonality recently has been “task failed successfully” when it comes to Harman adherence. Time for Sean Olive to update the target with new gear.
They do it from what I know to make a push for better data and to make it better for reading but I'll be honest, I'm in no way use to it at all. I'm all for change if it's actually beneficial and according to these guys, it is! But I still can't get my head around it.

I'm hoping to learn more though! Not going to push the message away.

Also its a very good review, very well done and covers a lot of valuable information I find a lot of reviews don't talk about.

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #90,995 of 104,190
They do it from what I know to make a push for better data and to make it better for reading but I'll be honest, I'm in no way use to it at all. I'm all for change if it's actually beneficial and according to these guys, it is! But I still can't get my head around it.

I'm hoping to learn more though! Not going to push the message away.

Also its a very good review, very well done and covers a lot of valuable information I find a lot of reviews don't talk about.
I have no question about the technical validity (partly because I have no technical expertise in the area :dt880smile: ), but I’m old and stubborn and I need my uncompensated graph. In my head, the uncompensated graphs are automatically transformed into a compensated ones against a Harman-ish preference target anyway.

My biggest gripe at the moment is the calculation behind the scene of these graphs. It would be great to see the formula, or just open source the thing like CrinGraph. I don’t like to be told that “sound between these is gud, trust science (OBEY)” That’s how we create mistrust in science in the first place. Resolve mentioned that I missed a video where he explained everything. Need to go through headphones.com channel and find that video.

If it were me, I would just show an uncompensated graph against the target and shaded preference areas, and let people read for themselves. Readers from this community are not that incompetent that they need you to point out: “see on this grey area? Sound in here is gud. See this line? Higher than the line means louder”. They can read the graph themselves.

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #90,996 of 104,190
It's my understanding that Headphones.com people have a plan to show raw measurements but they want to figure out a way to do it in a way that doesn't result in people comparing measurements across different measuring rigs.

And I don't think they're saying that things sound good if they're within the grey areas in the graph. I think a good way to think of them is that if the graph is within the gray area for a part of the frequency response, it'll likely be inoffensive for most listeners. Outside of that, it might get boomy, anemic, thin, honky, sibilant, etc. I find that their method of graphing is less prescriptive of "good sound" than the more standard way of comparing to a target.

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #90,997 of 104,190
... I think a good way to think of them is that if the graph is within the gray area for a part of the frequency response, it'll likely be inoffensive for most listeners…
It certainly can be! If the grey area is specific to the device measured and not the target, it could instead represent variance experienced during measuring

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #90,998 of 104,190
Dec 11, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #90,999 of 104,190
My take: the Wind is quite hard to get to play at its best. It needs plenty of power, ideally a warm source and carful choice of tips. If you get it wrong it is bright and unimpressive, but when it plays its best it has a huge immersive sound with a powerful bass.

The EA1000 is naturally bright, but that can be tamed with tip and cable choices. The details and timbre are great, but the real star of the show is the passive radiator. It adds a hint of reverb to the sound, in a very musical way. The effect is subtle, but on top of a great and well tuned DD it really takes the EA1000 to the next level.

The OD200’s claim to fame is a lovely timbre. It just makes everything sound good. I found the stock cable, while beautiful, held it back. There is also a bit too much energy in the upper mids, which needed to be tamed for my taste. Once the mids were dealt with using tips & cable, it’s a lovely and versatile IEM.

All 3 are superior IEMs, but the Wind and OD200 need at least a little effort to sound their best. If you want to have something very different and don’t mind putting in the effort, go for the Wind. If you want a warm and easy sound to listen to, OD200. If you want a great blend of technical performance and tonality, with a unique twist, EA1000.

If I had to recommend just 1 without knowing anything about the listener, it would be the EA1000.
Bang on advice described all 3 perfectly. I also adore the wind and totally agree with spending the time to get them dialed in.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #91,000 of 104,190
Could anyone compare BQEYZ wind to the FOTMs EA1000 and OD200?
I compared the Wind to OD200 in my impression post:

I strongarmed @gadgetgod to send me the BQEYZ Wind for a quick impression and a comparison with the OD200.

BQEYZ Wind​

This is the first BQEYZ iem that fit me like a glove. I was very pleased at that. The build is solid, heavy, but quite comfortable inside the ears. I only hope the paint of the Wind will not chip off like Aria.

The cable is quite well-built and rather heavy. But thankfully very soft also, and has no memory.
2 generic types of silicone eartips are included - narrow bore and wide bore. I was using the L-sized narrow-bore ones.

1000033286-01.jpeg

Now to the sound. The Wind have a highly transparent and forward sound with completely neutral tonality and crazy details. The tonality is slightly on the colder side, not much though. I used Tempotec V6 and Hiby R3 II for this assessment.
The Bass is rather lean and reserved in my opinion. Although I cannot say they are dry, because the subbass extension is nice. However, the quantity is a bit less. The midbass slams still have a relatively good impact, but overall the bass region lacks power and presence.
The Midrange is in focus here. It is highly transparent, with a very forward presence and outstanding details. Notes have a very nice bite and highly defined edges. But all those details might become a bit fatiguing in the long run. I could detect a bit of harshness and sibilance in the upper mid sections specifically. The lower mid has a neutral presence with a detail-oriented approach. I would say the musicality is sacrificed a bit to bring out the breathtaking details.
The Treble section has a similar brightness carried forward from the midrange. The lower treble is a bit forward and the upper treble is very well extended. Needless to say, there is an abundance of details here as well. The notes have highly defined sharp edges. All the details are very carefully extracted and presented. This section is very zealous but can become a bit overwhelming for treble-sensitive ears.
The Soundstage is very wide, with a nice height, but depth is the one area it suffers a bit, namely due to the forward nature of the sound. Although imaging is very sharp and precise within the headspace it creates. There is no hint of congestion as well, as the separation between the notes is very good. The layering is quite good also. Due to the lack of power in the bass, the Macrodynamics isn't that great, but the microdynamics is beautiful.

1000033287-01.jpeg

Comparison​

Vs. Oriveti OD200​

The OD200 has better accessories than Wind in my opinion. The cable is lighter, despite being 8 core, and has modular plugs. There are two different types of nozzles for two different types of sounds as well.

Buildwise, both have full metal shell, but the OD200 feels lighter, despite being larger in size than Wind. The fit of OD200 is also more comfortable and easier than Wind. The Wind needs a bit of adjustment to get the perfect fit.

Soundwise, there is a considerable difference between them. OD200 are bassier, with a relatively more laid-back, more balanced, and smoother presentation. The Wind easily produce more details and is more transparent. There is a sense of overzealous excitement in their sound - as if they are in a hurry to dissect the music and produce the finer details to the listener. They sound more analytical than musical.
The OD200, on the other hand, is completely opposite. They have a more composed sound with a more balanced approach. The tonality is neutral-warm. The bass is deeper, stronger, fuller. The midrange is fuller and more organic. The treble is placed a few steps back, and has relatively less energy, but still is very well extended and sufficiently prominent. Most importantly, they have a much bigger and more three-dimensional soundstage that is totally exhilarating. Sure, the details are not as much highlighted as the Wind, but the overall presentation is much more musical and refined.

The BQEYZ Wind will be more suitable for ears that prefer brighter and analytical tuning, and the OD200 are for those who prefer a musical and laid-back sound.

As for EA1000, from memory, the EA1000 has a fuller sound with less spicy upper mid. The tonality of EA1000 is also slightly warmer. Regarding stage and details - I cannot compare from memory.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #91,001 of 104,190
Dec 11, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #91,002 of 104,190
Thanks!! I needed a small cheap dongle DAC, picked up Tempotec Sonata HD III for $17.
Not a discovery of a new gear, more of a personal discovery of this cheap hidden gem:
Just received the Sonata HD III. I was hoping for an improvement over my JCally JM6 Pro, but I wasn't expecting this. It's like night and day better.
I only have the JM6 Pro to compare with, and the extra bulkiness vs JM6 Pro is totally worth it. Smooth, non sibilant but detailed treble. Melodic sound with rich mids and great bass. Soundstage and depth are much better as well.
Max volume on the dongle and 60% on the phone is more than enough volume for me with MP145. (Using Qobuz with bit perfect on UAPP.)
Probably my best bang for the buck buy in chifi so far. :beerchug:

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #91,003 of 104,190
My first 'budget' set reviewed in the EW200.

I feel like we've all moved on now but either people here have the mysterious power to enjoy music without being critical. Or everything else under $50 is a no bueno.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-ew200.26518/reviews
The only review which isn't 4.5 or 5. There is something good but not worth the hype. Second generation of this new driver material coming up already. Hopefully, it'll be the real gem.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #91,004 of 104,190
I have to do more testing, but my GK200 has a severe channel imbalance.
Trying to communicate with the AliX store to see how this process of shipping back to mainland China will work, but this is not an auspicious start for Geek Wold...
There is another review on AliX where the customer had an issue with channel imbalance as well.
Let's hope it's not a recurring theme.
Pity because I really liked the GK100 but it gives me pause to chance getting another lemon.
SMH...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #91,005 of 104,190
I have to do more testing, but my GK200 has a severe channel imbalance.
Trying to communicate with the AliX store to see how this process of shipping back to mainland China will work, but this is not an auspicious start for Geek Wold...
There is another review on AliX where the customer had a ln issue with channel imbalance as well.
Let's hope it's not a recurring theme.
Pity because I really liked the GK100 but it gives me pause to chance getting another lemon.
SMH...
That's a bummer. Have you tried swapping cables to see if the channel imbalance is cable-related?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back