The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
May 11, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #5,326 of 5,344
You may do a factory reset with the card out. Insert the card after reset. If the card is corrupt, then you may need to reformat the card in the DAP and reload it.

I appear to have found a way without a reset - I took the card out, and then rebuilt the DB for just the internal files which worked, and then loaded the card again and it's now in the process of creating the DB again - currently at about 50% with an almost full 1TB card. Thank you!

May 12, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #5,328 of 5,344
Today is one of those days when I reach for my NW-WM1A over my NW-WM1Z. The Sony players seem to have problems playing some files (corrupted) that play just fine on Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #5,329 of 5,344
Today is one of those days when I reach for my NW-WM1A over my NW-WM1Z. The Sony players seem to have problems playing some files (corrupted) that play just fine on Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.
Have you tried replacing the files that you are having issues with? You could have introduced errors when copying them.

May 12, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #5,330 of 5,344
Have you tried replacing the files that you are having issues with? You could have introduced errors when copying them.
I will definitely try that. Thanks

May 18, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #5,332 of 5,344
I am curious to try my most 1A. And to see if it can somehow reach the level of my DMP.1z1
After 300 hours burn-in of your expm5 mod my hearing is unable to detect any differences between it and my expm2.5. There may be differences but they are beyond my abillity to detect them

May 19, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #5,333 of 5,344
I’ve just bought a brand new iPad Pro M4, can anyone shed any light why I can’t get my WM1A to work as a DAC with it? I’m using the Walkman cable and a USB A to USB C adaptor and the iPad just isn’t detecting the Walkman at all. It’s the same for both my WM1A and A45 and 2 different cable adaptors.

With my old iPad I used the camera connection kit because of lightning and never had a problem

May 19, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #5,334 of 5,344
Why didn't Sony include some preset EQ profiles in the NW-WM1AM2?

Even the little NW-A306 has a few preset EQ. This one is fun with my ER4SR and IE600. Sony calls it "Excited". Copied it to my NW-WM1AM2 and it sounds just as good.

1000002623.png

May 19, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #5,335 of 5,344
Why didn't Sony include some preset EQ profiles in the NW-WM1AM2?

Even the little NW-A306 has a few preset EQ. This one is fun with my ER4SR and IE600. Sony calls it "Excited". Copied it to my NW-WM1AM2 and it sounds just as good.

1000002623.png
Wow that’s some serious V shaped tuning

May 21, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #5,337 of 5,344
Hi there. Was wondering if I can get any infos about what NPAUDIO mod is installed inside my WM1A as I bought it "second hand" ??
Thanks
Depends on when the mod was done as there have been at least 5 versions of the mod over the years. You can read about what the latest version of the mod involves on the NPAudio web site:

NPAudio WM1A/Z EXPMv5 (Extreme Performance Mod v5)

Double thickness shielding / grounding over the amplifier section. (Stock WM1A/Z is plastic)

3.5mm Single Ended cables upgraded with Neotech 7N OCC solid copper cable.

Neotech 7N OCC solid copper to a new Pentaconn 4.4mm (Ground connection also added)

Neotech 7N OCC solid copper (ground return)

Both 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs connected directly directly to the inductors bypassing relays and IC switching

Relay removal, bypass and circuit board precision cut to allow for larger caps

Single Ended caps upgraded to Audio Note Standard

Balanced out using Audio Note Kaisei Bipolar bicapped with ultra low ESR Kemet KO caps.

Twin Supercharged! An additional SuperCap installed for a total of 1 Farad

Capacitors: Audio Note Kaisei and Standard, Kemet Tantalum Polymer, Kemet SMC film.

SS47 Solder (Contains 4.7% Silver)

2 x custom laser cut back plates for improved shielding and grounding.

The outer backplate has a leather effect coating with a gold Walkman logo.

Internal relocation of Bluetooth Antenna

3200 mah Battery (stock battery is 1860mah Battery)

An NPAudio customised MrWalkman ONE firmware with new gold GUI

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #5,338 of 5,344
It is hard to believe that a $249 pair of headphones could sound so damn good from Sony NW-WM1Z!

20240521_151052.jpg20240521_150500.jpg

May 21, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #5,339 of 5,344
Hi there. Was wondering if I can get any infos about what NPAUDIO mod is installed inside my WM1A as I bought it "second hand" ??
Thanks

Depends on when the mod was done as there have been at least 5 versions of the mode over the years. You can read about what the latest version of the mod involves on the NPAudio web site:

NPAudio WM1A/Z EXPMv5 (Extreme Performance Mod v5)

Double thickness shielding / grounding over the amplifier section. (Stock WM1A/Z is plastic)

3.5mm Single Ended cables upgraded with Neotech 7N OCC solid copper cable.

Neotech 7N OCC solid copper to a new Pentaconn 4.4mm (Ground connection also added)

Neotech 7N OCC solid copper (ground return)

Both 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs connected directly directly to the inductors bypassing relays and IC switching

Relay removal, bypass and circuit board precision cut to allow for larger caps

Single Ended caps upgraded to Audio Note Standard

Balanced out using Audio Note Kaisei Bipolar bicapped with ultra low ESR Kemet KO caps.

Twin Supercharged! An additional SuperCap installed for a total of 1 Farad

Capacitors: Audio Note Kaisei and Standard, Kemet Tantalum Polymer, Kemet SMC film.

SS47 Solder (Contains 4.7% Silver)

2 x custom laser cut back plates for improved shielding and grounding.

The outer backplate has a leather effect coating with a gold Walkman logo.

Internal relocation of Bluetooth Antenna

3200 mah Battery (stock battery is 1860mah Battery)

An NPAudio customised MrWalkman ONE firmware with new gold GUI
Thanks. It's not giving me my answer but I may try to find when the MOD was done if the older buyer answer me ...

May 21, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #5,340 of 5,344
Thanks. It's not giving me my answer but I may try to find when the MOD was done if the older buyer answer me ...
You might be able to find the mod info on the unit information page accessed through the settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back