The best headphones for the smallest price... :)
Apr 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, sorry to bother but i really need help...

So short and simple....

Love all types of modern music... Specially dance music and uplifting trance...
Hi have no amp, to be used on my ipod touch 4g.
Hi like clear sound and good detail...

After a lot, and i mean really a lot of research these are my options (within my 70 euros budget...)...

Creative Aurvana Live! (Leaning towards this one's right now)
Shure Srh440
Sony Mdr-V6
Koss Prodj100
Sony Mdr-ZX700

All of the cost between 50 and 70 euros, the aurvana's are the cheaper ones at 49 euros plus 7 euros for shipping...

It does not matter if they are open or sealed type....
I just want a really good sounding headphones and isolation is not really an issue since i already have a pair of akg k81's (wich i like but i think they are too bassy... i like good bass, but not bass that ruins all other frequencies, i like good definition and nice highs (sparkle) for the uplifting parts of trance. This is just to give an idea of what i am looking for more particularly...) , so these will be mostly for home usage...

But of course if they are durable and good for all purposes it is also a good plus..

All you opinions are more then welcome and and i am very sorry for bothering you all. :)

Thank you very much for all the help you can give to me and feel free to sugest other options if you like.

Cheers...

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 129
Here comes my typical recommendation for the PX100-II... 
tongue.gif

I've owned 3 of the 5 on that list (ZX700, CAL, DJ100) and find the PX100-II better than all of them. But, you do have a great list going there. I loved the ZX700's size and comfort, but I couldn't tolerate it's scooped out upper midrange. The CAL's earcups were too claustrophobic for my ears and I didn't like the smudge-tacular surface coating. A bit too dark and mellow. I'd say the DJ100 is probably the best sounding of those 3 I tried, but are the least comfortable. Although, there are many aftermarket pads that work well with them, such as the HM5 and M50 pads. But coming back to the PX100-II, they're the most portable, the most comfortable, and the best sounding IMO. Cheapest too... go figure.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 129
Quote:
Hi guys, sorry to bother but i really need help...

So short and simple....

Love all types of modern music... Specially dance music and uplifting trance...
Hi have no amp, to be used on my ipod touch 4g.
Hi like clear sound and good detail...

After a lot, and i mean really a lot of research these are my options (within my 70 euros budget...)...

Creative Aurvana Live! (Leaning towards this one's right now)
Shure Srh440
Sony Mdr-V6
Koss Prodj100
Sony Mdr-ZX700

All of the cost between 50 and 70 euros, the aurvana's are the cheaper ones at 49 euros plus 7 euros for shipping...

It does not matter if they are open or sealed type....
I just want a really good sounding headphones and isolation is not really an issue since i already have a pair of akg k81's (wich i like but i think they are too bassy... i like good bass, but not bass that ruins all other frequencies, i like good definition and nice highs (sparkle) for the uplifting parts of trance. This is just to give an idea of what i am looking for more particularly...) , so these will be mostly for home usage...

But of course if they are durable and good for all purposes it is also a good plus..

All you opinions are more then welcome and and i am very sorry for bothering you all. :)

Thank you very much for all the help you can give to me and feel free to sugest other options if you like.

Cheers...

You don't need to spend anywhere near $100 to get great sounding headphones. 

First of all, do NOT get the dj100's! Those are massively over-rated. I have demo'ed them extensively for nearly two weeks and I like them less every time I listen to them. Rolled off treble, ridiculous boost in the mids. Vocals have a very nasally tone. Slow sound decay due to the closed design. 

For best sound quality, an open design is much better. Try koss sportapro or portapro. Great sound quality for next to nothing (well under $50).

People on head fi WANT to spend more money than necessary--bragging rights. But beyond 'phones like grado sr6o (which I don't recommend due to severe treble boost), koss portapro, koss ksc75, koss sportapro, there is a point of diminishing returns. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 129
I would recommend the MDR-V6 over the CAL

-A lot more durable
-Nice bass (but less bass though)
-Bright highs
-Lots of detail
-Coiled cord is really nice for home use... I can walk across my room without taking them off. 

Potential downfalls 
-Unforgiving of poor audio quality 
-The coiled cord may get in the way
-Highs may get fatiguing for some ears 
-The earpads need replacing every year or two 

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 129
I would recommend the MDR-V6 over the CAL

-A lot more durable
-Nice bass (but less bass though)
-Bright highs
-Lots of detail
-Coiled cord is really nice for home use... I can walk across my room without taking them off. 

Potential downfalls 
-Unforgiving of poor audio quality 
-The coiled cord may get in the way
-Highs may get fatiguing for some ears 
-The earpads need replacing every year or two 

+1! These MDR-7506/V6 does sound like what he said although I am not sure how much difference between these two, but same idea goes to MDR-7506.

If not, I would highly recommend you the UE4K(why u so underrated??)

-Portable
-Highly detailed
-Forgiving to poor audio quality but not as low as 192 bit rate. 320 would be fine.
-Huge bass yet controlled
-Really a nice headphone and comparable with a lot of headphones that I came across at a higher price.
-Buit into iPhone mic and remote control

Downside:
-Vocals sound artificial a bit and also sound like behind the instruments
-A lil more soundstage would be nice but for a closed on-ear, it's more than enough.
-You will sweat under these after a while
-On-ear

Billson :)

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 129
The 7506 and V6 are pretty much the same headphone, but the 7506 has a gold connector, better warranty, and blue sticker. Most parts, including drivers, are actually interchangeable and carry the same part numbers. 

$10 more for a better warranty really (at least by US pricing). Your call on whether its worth it or not. 

Why are the HD280s not on the list?!?

Not sure about European pricing, but I'm pretty sure they are more expensive than everything listed so far without really outperforming any of the options. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 129
For your music genres, go with the V6. They handle bassy genres really good. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 129
First of all thank you very much to all of you for all your opinions... :)

Actually the Aurvana's and the v6's were always my first options. The prodj100 are a beautifull looking headphone (at least to me) and seem to be rather well constructed. They are extremely praised, specially by the user tdockweiler (or something like that) but as newphones said it seems that they are a bit nasaly sounding and as i said i want a good all rounder, not just something that handels well vocals and leaves everything else rolled off.

The Aurvana's are really highly praised around here, and probably i won't find them very bass heavy because once you own a k81, believe me, now thats bass heavy... XD
But overall it ssem they are pretty good, specially with vocals. My only concern about them is that it seem they break very easily and there are some mixed reviews about the treble since for example innerfidelity says they have reaaly good and accentuated highs and some say the opposite wich is kind of inconclusive since i am buying something without being able to rey it first. Oh and also some say that the aurvana«s also do not have much sound detail... Please someone confirm if true... :)

Second, the v6.... I really like the look and many told me these are perfect for eletronic music. it seem they are bright and have really highly defined sound wich seem to be perfect to extract all the harmonious melodied i trance music for example. It also seems they are extremely durable.... But some also claim that these are boring and only good for monitoring and not music listening . It is also said abou them that the have excessive highs and that the mids are too recessed. Soooo, does this means that vocals sound bad in these Headphones?

Believe me i searched and searched for the best options at my budget and this one's seem to be the most praised headphones below the 70 euros price tag around the web.

Believe me guys i would love to have the ath m50 (some say they are really good, other say they are overrates, specially when compared with the aurvanas... But tihis is only what i read, i do not want to start a riot sorry... XD ), hd 25's. amperiors..... But they unfortunately are not sold for 70 euros so they are a no go sadly... ;(

Let's just stick to this one's right now and if there are any other sugestions in this price point once again feel free to share...

So right now the two biggest contenders are the v6 and the aurvana's.... Let´s do a face off.... XD

These are the best prices i have so far..

Creative Aurvana Live!'s 49,13 Euros (56,13 with shipment)
Sony Mdr-V6 70,46 Euros (Shipment already included)

Any better price in Europe?

Pros and Cons?

Thak you very much once again... :)

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 129
Although I've never listened to the MDR-V6's, my cousin has has, and in his opinion, the CAL sound quality wise is superior (He's also an M50 owner so he's auditioned the M50, CAL, and V6).  I will admit that durability on the CAL might be questionable if you plan to take these out and throw them in your backpack (the headband is all plastic).  Soundwise though, I REALLY REALLY love them.  I currently own a pair of Sennheiser Amperiors, and owned the Denon D2000, CAL, sony ZX700, HD428, HD419 and also auditioned the M50's extensively, and the CAL still stands by my favorite at its pricepoint.  I don't think the CAL really lacks details, but then again I don't consider myself an expert, all I know is that the CAL's have a very lush smooth quality to them with very enjoyable bass.  My cousin described the V6's as sounding similar but a little more boring.

So basically, I think if you're planning to keep them at your computer, I think CAL's are the way to go.  Again, it isn't built like a tank, but I don't really see it breaking unless you accidentally sit on it.  The MDR-V6's sound quality wise might not be as good, but I imagine that it's very durable do it's design, and would be better to throw in your backpack and to listen to on the go.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 129
Quote:
First of all thank you very much to all of you for all your opinions... :)

Actually the Aurvana's and the v6's were always my first options. The prodj100 are a beautifull looking headphone (at least to me) and seem to be rather well constructed. They are extremely praised, specially by the user tdockweiler (or something like that) but as newphones said it seems that they are a bit nasaly sounding and as i said i want a good all rounder, not just something that handels well vocals and leaves everything else rolled off.

The Aurvana's are really highly praised around here, and probably i won't find them very bass heavy because once you own a k81, believe me, now thats bass heavy... XD
But overall it ssem they are pretty good, specially with vocals. My only concern about them is that it seem they break very easily and there are some mixed reviews about the treble since for example innerfidelity says they have reaaly good and accentuated highs and some say the opposite wich is kind of inconclusive since i am buying something without being able to rey it first. Oh and also some say that the aurvana«s also do not have much sound detail... Please someone confirm if true... :)

Second, the v6.... I really like the look and many told me these are perfect for eletronic music. it seem they are bright and have really highly defined sound wich seem to be perfect to extract all the harmonious melodied i trance music for example. It also seems they are extremely durable.... But some also claim that these are boring and only good for monitoring and not music listening . It is also said abou them that the have excessive highs and that the mids are too recessed. Soooo, does this means that vocals sound bad in these Headphones?

Believe me i searched and searched for the best options at my budget and this one's seem to be the most praised headphones below the 70 euros price tag around the web.

Believe me guys i would love to have the ath m50 (some say they are really good, other say they are overrates, specially when compared with the aurvanas... But tihis is only what i read, i do not want to start a riot sorry... XD ), hd 25's. amperiors..... But they unfortunately are not sold for 70 euros so they are a no go sadly... ;(

Let's just stick to this one's right now and if there are any other sugestions in this price point once again feel free to share...

So right now the two biggest contenders are the v6 and the aurvana's.... Let´s do a face off.... XD

These are the best prices i have so far..

Creative Aurvana Live!'s 49,13 Euros (56,13 with shipment)
Sony Mdr-V6 70,46 Euros (Shipment already included)

Any better price in Europe?

Pros and Cons?

Thak you very much once again... :)

I doubt who says the MDR-7506/V6 has recessed mids... It is not boring sounding at least, to me for it have interesting details and clear smooth mids. These are neutral sounding to me, so I don't think there's any recessed mids [in addition, I'm a midrange head (sort-of)]. 

My answer is, if you want back your bass, get the CAL! if not, get something different from what you have and that is, V6/7506! I like MDR 7506/V6 better than ATH-M50 personally! XD

Billson :D 

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 129
Quote:
I doubt who says the MDR-7506/V6 has recessed mids... It is not boring sounding at least, to me for it have interesting details and clear smooth mids. These are neutral sounding to me, so I don't think there's any recessed mids [in addition, I'm a midrange head (sort-of)]. 

My answer is, if you want back your bass, get the CAL! if not, get something different from what you have and that is, V6/7506! I like MDR 7506/V6 better than ATH-M50 personally! XD

Billson :D 

I am tempted to buy the CAL's.

Unfortunately, I had a rather rude re-introduction to closed headphones with the koss dj100's. A very hollow, thin sound, despite mad, raving reviews here on head fi. 

It makes me really reluctant to try closed headphones again. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 129
You should stop buying headphone altogether. :p

FWIW, CAL has different signature than DJ100, in which it has V shaped sig with clarity and decent soundstage for its price. At the very least it's a far better phone than M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back