SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #22,741 of 45,723
I think you may be right. After searching this thread in regard to the andromeda, it appears that hiss seems to be a concern, but wm1a owners say it's a non issue. My H3's were my first real "better" IEM's, but now since I've gone balanced, it's become a blessing and a curse. Hiss would be a deal breaker for me

My H3's have never sounded better since going balanced with the inexpensive kinboofi 50 dollar cable (bought it just to test drive the balanced out on the wm1a finally) but I can now hear the signature more easily and the relative limitations of these IEM's. I can hear the wm1a greatness trying to peer through the H3's and can tell that there is still a lot of sonic greatness to be realized, but the H3 is not a TOTL iem, but more of an excellent intermediate stepping stone of an IEM. I wish I could hear the andromeda before purchasing, though.

I can only imagine what a high end balanced cable adds to the mix over an entry level one like the one I have. But I will say this, 17 hours into my balanced mode journey and I can tell that the upgaditis is brewing. Must resist until full burn in!!! But I know in my heart of hearts, that there are IEM's that will slay my first love H3's, and it's just a matter of time.....This wm1a has really changed my listening world.

I wouldn't worry about it, cos I haven't heard anything hissing with the Andromeda.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #22,742 of 45,723
1z + a18t + 1960s 2 wire best portable set-up I have heard. Auditioned against aksp1000 SS & CU, but it’s dark background, heaps of detail and beautifully layered organic sound made it no contest. It’s even usurped my hugo2 for home listening...for now :wink:. :):):)
D379A61E-E5C7-4935-985A-8613FB8E1489.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #22,743 of 45,723
I don't think so for me. I have a spectacular sound from the MDR-EX1000 and a great fit with them, and the IER-Z1R was already quoted by a few persons as problematic fitting. That is a no go for me. I had the XBA-H3 for some time and was totally disappointed by the sound and the fit.

Tried IER-Z1R, M7 & M9

M7 & M9 fit the best and the Z1R also fit much better than EX1000 to me

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #22,744 of 45,723
Tried IER-Z1R, M7 & M9

Does IER-Z1R have bass like the Z5?

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #22,746 of 45,723
SONY ANNOUNCES FROM WHAT HIFI
DMP-Z1 and IER-Z1R
Unsurprisingly, the player comes packing full high-res audiosupport and includes DSD compatibility up to 11.2MHz.
There's 256GB of built-in storage to fill, with the ability to expand this via dual micro SD card slots. USB Type-C connections and a Bluetooth receiver (including aptX HD) are also built in.

Sony's DSD Remastering Engine is included, which allows you to convert all PCM music sources to DSD 5.6MHz....

...I'm still clutching my WM Z1 tightly I love it so much.

I'm truely surprised that this player did not come with 512gb onboard storange. I would have thought they would double the 1Z storage to convey to the buyer the necessity of greater storage, but I suppose they did this by having two SD card slots. Still, it does not have the same effect on me as doubling the internal storeage. Perhaps they did not want people to feel like the 1Z is shorting them on storage either. Does anyone have information about the memory specifications of the WM1A/Z and DMP-1Z? Truely it seems as if this player is a more advanced TA-ZH1ES, I will be looking forward to comparing the sound in store. I too will be clutching my WM1A until death parts us, however, if I was a new buyer I would be seriously considering the DMP-1Z. I think many new buyers will not understand the storage requirements of FLAC and DSD, and will pass over the device, which is a shame since it seems like a logical upgrade.

It almost looks as if we wont see upgrades to our WM1A/Z soon, and instead the line is being expanded lower (NW-ZX300) and higher (DMP-1Z). I would assume if these updates come they will be in 1.5-2 years, and would be a better screen and storage options, which lower power consumption (thinner lighter?)

Wouldnt be surprised if they release a DMP-1A in the future.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #22,747 of 45,723
Tried IER-Z1R, M7 & M9

If they fit you better than they will not necessarily fit me better. As I wrote the EX1000 fit me big time and that is with medium sized Sony standard tips. But good for you and sorry for your wallet :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #22,748 of 45,723
I'm truely surprised that this player did not come with 512gb onboard storange. I would have thought they would double the 1Z storage to convey to the buyer the necessity of greater storage, but I suppose they did this by having two SD card slots. Still, it does not have the same effect on me as doubling the internal storeage. Perhaps they did not want people to feel like the 1Z is shorting them on storage either. Does anyone have information about the memory specifications of the WM1A/Z and DMP-1Z? Truely it seems as if this player is a more advanced TA-ZH1ES, I will be looking forward to comparing the sound in store. I too will be clutching my WM1A until death parts us, however, if I was a new buyer I would be seriously considering the DMP-1Z. I think many new buyers will not understand the storage requirements of FLAC and DSD, and will pass over the device, which is a shame since it seems like a logical upgrade.

It almost looks as if we wont see upgrades to our WM1A/Z soon, and instead the line is being expanded lower (NW-ZX300) and higher (DMP-1Z). I would assume if these updates come they will be in 1.5-2 years, and would be a better screen and storage options, which lower power consumption (thinner lighter?)

Wouldnt be surprised if they release a DMP-1A in the future.

You know this DMP-Z1 is priced 3X more than your TA-ZH1ES and 2.5X more than a WM1Z. Then 8X more than your WM1A right ?

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #22,750 of 45,723
You know this DMP-Z1 is priced 3X more than your TA-ZH1ES and 2.5X more than a WM1Z. Then 8X more than your WM1A right ?

Well thats exactly it. The cost of a TA-ZH1ES and NW-WM1A together cost a little over half what a DMP-Z1 costs, but the WM1A/Z wont sound as nice as the DMP-Z1 costs. Plus i ran out of storage space and cant find a micro sdcard big enough.

So basically, if I could do it over, yeah for me it would be worth it because I would have what i presume is TA-ZH1ES like sound in a portable form factor with the storage capability I need. its a win win. By the way, the DMP-Z1 is a portable source so i think you put the thread in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #22,751 of 45,723
Well thats exactly it. The cost of a TA-ZH1ES and NW-WM1A together cost a little over half what a DMP-Z1 costs, but the WM1A/Z wont sound as nice as the DMP-Z1 costs. Plus i ran out of storage space and cant find a micro sdcard big enough.

So basically, if I could do it over, yeah for me it would be worth it because I would have what i presume is TA-ZH1ES like sound in a portable form factor with the storage capability I need. its a win win. By the way, the DMP-Z1 is a portable source so i think you put the thread in the wrong forum.

It is at best a transportable piece of kit, not really portable.

The sound will probably be different to the WM or TA sound as it is completely different components

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #22,752 of 45,723

Wrong

TA_ZH1ES and WM1A isn’t even half of DMP-Z1 at all. It is a $3,400 Stack and stationary where you can unplug 1A and on the go portable.

DMP-Z1 is $7,999 and it is Carriable

It is at best a transportable piece of kit, not really portable.

The sound will probably be different to the WM or TA sound as it is completely different components

Not only direct components, but different design as well. The ZH1ES only has 1 Op-Amp inside to accommodate the S-Master negative signal. The rest is discrete class D amp. The DMP-Z1 is Op-Amp based from TPA, but with discrete supportive components. This Op-Amp is Class A/B and is a current feedback amps. The 1ES is also more powerful than the DMP-Z1 but has no battery for portability

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #22,753 of 45,723
Also, some more details that I think I get correctly from Sony.

The DSP (Digital Signals Processor) inside WM1A/Z and Ta-ZH1ES, even DMP-Z1 are all the same from Sony in-house grown technology. This DSP chip is capable of DSD remastering with Sony in-house customized software. It is capable upto DSD256. However, it is not suitable for S-Master. Therefore, FPGA has to be used inside TA-ZH1ES for this feature, and Walkmans will not have this feature “enabled”. Where as DMP-Z1 will have it enabled by using the “pure By-Pass mode of DSD playback by AKM4497EQ”.

Sony deemed that this is the best of “Native DSD playback in sound performances, also the tonality of AKM chips” are the reason why Sony has decided to go with AKM4497EQ

Sony is back into the game to produce high performances audio equipments and focusing into transportable and portable, and we have already been blessed with the portable WM line of Walkman which will see foreseeable considerable upgrades by Firmwares. For example, the firmware has been under the table cooking for more than a year to perfect the USB DAC features and now is coming to WM lines. The DSP inside WM is meant for a long lasting future with firmware upgrades and additional features. However, at this moment, the momentum, the investigations, the engineering are always limited, which resulted in the limits of the current S-Master limitations, which after many trials and errors, was deemed to be outperformed for the purposes intended on the DMP-Z1 by the AKM4497EQ. This doesn’t meant that Sony is abandoning the signature unique S-Master, but the team is working very hard to keep improving and soon will be releasing for the next foreseeable products lines. This doesn’t mean that the S-Master inside the existed productions lines are lower performances than AK4497EQ or other Sigma-Delta architecture, just simply S-Master was not suitable for DMP-Z1 intended designs and purposes. For the best of S-Master, there is dedicated Desktop TA-ZH1ES, and then there is portable WM1Z.

Again, let’s repeat. The DSP inside the current productions line are all firmware upgradeable for foreseeable features, and improved performances.

I hope this post was valuable, and help people to see the picture more clearly as of why Sony is doing what it does

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #22,754 of 45,723
You should probably put this in the DMP thread as well

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #22,755 of 45,723
I'm all for being nostalgic, but wasn't one of the reasons to go digital was to lose the clicks, pops and the sound of the needle tracking?

That is the one reason I do not like vinyl at all and do not own a turntable. I absolutely hated that clicky, static BS when I used to use records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back