Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #301 of 1,177
Owning both the MDR-1A and MDR-1AM2, I must say they boast mediocre to average sound quality, I must say that I am not impressed, especially considering the price point, the only things they have for them is that they can be driven through a balanced connection, and are very comfortable and light. Aside from that, considering the price point, poor sound quality and mediocre isolation (making those unsuitable for outdoor listening), I can't recommend those for any uses whatever. And for the record, I listen to those using the official Sony balanced cable (not the OEM one, although it didn't change much when I compared the OEM cable from my MDR-1AM2 to the supposedly better aftermarket one I am using), and a NW-ZX300 as a source.

Unfortunately, I can't say there are much better closed back options at that price range, you would however be much better off buying a pair of MDR-Z7 than these, you can get the first model for a relatively similar price to the MDR-1AM2 nowadays.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #302 of 1,177
Owning both the MDR-1A and MDR-1AM2, I must say they boast mediocre to average sound quality, I must say that I am not impressed, especially considering the price point, the only things they have for them is that they can be driven through a balanced connection, and are very comfortable and light. Aside from that, considering the price point, poor sound quality and mediocre isolation (making those unsuitable for outdoor listening), I can't recommend those for any uses whatever. And for the record, I listen to those using the official Sony balanced cable (not the OEM one, although it didn't change much when I compared the OEM cable from my MDR-1AM2 to the supposedly better aftermarket one I am using), and a NW-ZX300 as a source.

Unfortunately, I can't say there are much better closed back options at that price range, you would however be much better off buying a pair of MDR-Z7 than these, you can get the first model for a relatively similar price to the MDR-1AM2 nowadays.
I chose the MDR-1A over the Z7 because I preferred it independent of price, the pairing with the PHA-1A was awesome. I still think they’re great cans at their price point. Why did you get the M2 if you disliked the first one so much? Which competing HPs do you like better?

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #303 of 1,177

I had mine for 140 euro. What else can I take for that assuring me a better sonical experience? closed cans better than this cost 3 times of what I spent. I'm very happy with these but really I can't afford models over 200. Is the psb m4u1 better than m2? Massdrop is sellin for a very little price.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #305 of 1,177
any comparisons of 1AM2 to the Oppo pm-3?
I would like see some comparisons on these two headphones myself. I thought the Oppo PM-3 was the ideal portable headphone. I question why I ever sold it. I’m still looking for a replacement for it. I’ve been eyeing these Sony’s but I have yet to hear them.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #307 of 1,177
How does this compare to WH1000 XM3

I've heard some reviewers say that Sony has said they actually use the same drivers.

As for the people asking about the Oppo PM-3, I know this won't be a very good comparison but I did acquire a PM-1 just the other day, and I have the original MDR-1A. I can tell you that, price brackets aside, they do sound very different, when just considering aspects like planar vs. dynamic. PM-1 sounds a lot more neutral, smoother and has a bigger soundstage than the 1A.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #308 of 1,177
The PM3 is super polite sounding, it'd be fine if you like to relax while listening, but I prefer more fun when I'm listening to music so..

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #309 of 1,177
any comparisons of 1AM2 to the Oppo pm-3?

I would like see some comparisons on these two headphones myself. I thought the Oppo PM-3 was the ideal portable headphone. I question why I ever sold it. I’m still looking for a replacement for it. I’ve been eyeing these Sony’s but I have yet to hear them.

I have both headphones & it's difficult to do a proper comarison, ( because i'd want to compare balanced connection & i don't have a balanced cable for my PM3's. ) I think the Sony's are great fun, listened to via balanced connection. ( As a fellow poster stated, the PM3's are "polite", although i still like them. ) I find it difficult to listen using unbalanced connection anymore....i soon switch back.

( I will give both headphones an extended listen on unbalanced, through my Sony TA-ZH1ES & report back...)

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #311 of 1,177
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #312 of 1,177
Has Anyone found a good balanced 2,5 cable for the 1am2?

I am looking too

You could try Iqicables on ebay. I've bought a couple of balanced cables from them. Very pleased with them, although expensive, but that's what you have to pay. ( As most people know on here. )

Just been doing a brief comparison of 1AM2 & OPPO PM3's ( unbalanced ) & the Sony's are louder & more bassy, as you'd probably expect. Oppo's probably a bit reserved by comparison ? ( but only briefly listened. )

What is clear to me is balanced listening is on another level & the way to go. ( With a good quality, silver plated copper cable, as above. )

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #313 of 1,177
Sony MDR-1AM2 arrived today. Connected to the FiiO Q5 (AM3B module Pentaconne out) with the balanced 4.4 cable, I can listen to a very nice presentation.
But the cushion seems a bit thin .. I will not break my ears. Is there a thicker memory sponge? Brainwavz or meze? edit : I found it, Meze 99 earpads. I ordered, although it was written here that we are completely compatible ..

For those with only 2.5mm balanced out amplifiers, here is a balanced cable for AM2. (4FT,120 cm)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-to-3-5mm-Balanced-audio-Cable-For-SONY-MDR-1AM2-MDR-1ADAC-MDR-1R-1RNC/292724450724?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #315 of 1,177
The ear cups are shaped a bit different but the Meze 99 should fit them. I think they're elongated vs. the original MDR-1A that the Meze 99 fit (but very snugly).
Yes they do fit snugly. I tried the meze pads on the 1AM2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back