Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 1,177
Huge ear pads? The pads on these look identical to the soft but thin stock pads on MDR-1A version 1. I had to change those to MSR7 or Meze 99 pads). Those are a little thicker and the extra space provided give them a better sound in different ways (MSR7 clearer & the Meze Pads enhance the bass and bring the mids way out from being recessed). I had bought a small hard case on EBay for like $10-$20 that these fit perfectly in folded flat. Just as portable as before, it's possible to have thick enough padding and be portable. Thin, small pads ruin portable headphones.

For me, the MDR-1A stock pads are the most comfortable on any headphone, except for maybe the Shure SRH1540. These look substantially larger to me (I was just listening to my MDR-1A earlier today). Upon closer inspection, however, it seems like the lip of the pads just wraps around the plastic of the cups a lot more than on the MDR-1A, which detracts from the new version a bit in the aesthetics department.

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #17 of 1,177
M2 earpads are suppose to be thicker than 1A giving more space, but I don't like the fact they cover almost entire earcup. For that fact probably not interchangeable with 1A's. Supposedly comfier earpads (if that's even possible) and included balanced cable are the only things I like so far in new 1A-M2. Everything else seems inferior to 1A.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 1,177
I guess the upside is these may be more easily changed vs. the earlier pad versions. Those have the perforated holes and the only way to change the pads is to wrap them around the outside of the ear cup (as I've done with the Meze and the MSR7 pads when swapping them).

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #19 of 1,177
I hope they have a bit better highs and mids than the 1AM1. If this is the case they could be the best entry-level "hifi/audiophile" headphone. If they sound somewhat like the Z1R they would fit a very special segment and would, like the normal 1A, only get recommended for bass lovers.

I agree Bepli. I loved the 1A, but I felt the bass somewhat overshadowed the mids and highs. Sony claims these sound better than the 1A, so hopefully they have successfully addressed that issue. I also thought the soundstage could've been better though was pretty good overall.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #20 of 1,177
It looks like Sony is using a very similar driver to the one that they used in the MDR-1A, but it has different specs and also appears to have a somewhat different motor structure.

Hopefully, the MDR-1AM2 will be tuned to be less bass-heavy and have a more neutral signature.

MDR-1A

MDR-1AM2

Yes, more neutral would be better! lol

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 1,177
1A are not that bass heavy, they have slightly emphasized midbass, which is easily fixable by doing minor 2-3db EQ. Not to mention midbass, even without EQ is prominant only with warmer/bassier DACS. To my ears 1A's equalized are much better than Momentum2 and B&O H6 2nd gen both EQ and not.

Wouldn't count on flat response, since it's not Sony's house sound. I worry about going down from 48 to only 16 ohms in 1A-M2, which is a bad sign for much less resolving drivers. I like the plastic driver cover similar to Z1R, but it's more of a gimmick, than actual sound improving feature.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #22 of 1,177
1A are not that bass heavy, they have slightly emphasized midbass, which is easily fixable by doing minor 2-3db EQ. Not to mention midbass, even without EQ is prominant only with warmer/bassier DACS. To my ears 1A's equalized are much better than Momentum2 and B&O H6 2nd gen both EQ and not.

Wouldn't count on flat response, since it's not Sony's house sound. I worry about going down from 48 to only 16 ohms in 1A-M2, which is a bad sign for much less resolving drivers. I like the plastic driver cover similar to Z1R, but it's more of a gimmick, than actual sound improving feature.
It has been proven multiple times that a higher impedance doesn't mean anything at all. There is nothing like a higher impedance = better sound/more resolving!

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #23 of 1,177
It has been proven multiple times that a higher impedance doesn't mean anything at all. There is nothing like a higher impedance = better sound/more resolving!
No it hasn't, for example low impedence drivers are more prone to distortions at higher volumes, and less resolving with powerful dacs/amps. Drivers as low as 16ohms are intended solely for portable use, while 48ohms are better both portable and PC/office use. Let's not forget 1A-M2 drivers are also less sensitive, so ultimately it's a downgrade from 1A drivers and a total departure from anything other than portable.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #24 of 1,177
Already released, is called Z1R :wink: on the release of it the Sony team said its a Z7 2.0 / Mark 2
Really? Can you share the source for this? I'm curious why they would say so, yet keep both products on sale, and in vastly different price points.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #25 of 1,177
Really? Can you share the source for this? I'm curious why they would say so, yet keep both products on sale, and in vastly different price points.
Check the Sony jp site, the engineers interview says its the successor to the Z7 and also they just keep it on sale because it's still on stock, production stopped tho.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #26 of 1,177
Check the Sony jp site, the engineers interview says its the successor to the Z7 and also they just keep it on sale because it's still on stock, production stopped tho.
Ooo! Maybe I should snag a Z7 for Office then. Before it stops selling.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #29 of 1,177
after owning mdr-1a, mdrz7 and others i would say - easily accessible and serviceable earpads + headband or go home :frowning2:

does not matter how carefully you take care about your headphones or how clean your environment - they still have to be replace after some threshold ... but oops - there is nothing to replace them with! :frowning2:

have mdr-1a lying around here with ripped headband+earpads... and there is not much choices for replacement. hopefully sony will provide us options for mdr-1am2

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #30 of 1,177
after owning mdr-1a, mdrz7 and others i would say - easily accessible and serviceable earpads + headband or go home :frowning2:

does not matter how carefully you take care about your headphones or how clean your environment - they still have to be replace after some threshold ... but oops - there is nothing to replace them with! :frowning2:

have mdr-1a lying around here with ripped headband+earpads... and there is not much choices for replacement. hopefully sony will provide us options for mdr-1am2
There is no problem replacing both earpads on both the models. they are easily orderable from the sony service. About the headband it shouldnt wear anytime soon.
I used the 1A with a lot of sweat and no problems with wear ever. (I own them since like 3 years)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back