Somewhat disappointed by the HD 598's
Jun 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #31 of 34
Pretty much all open headphones from my experience have very soft bass impact compared to closed headphones.  It's just the nature of the open-backed cavity vs a closed-back cavity.  In a closed cavity, pressure is allowed to buildup, giving the sense of impact.  Not even supposed open basshead cans like DT990 can give you the adequate sense of impact you want.  Get a closed headphone.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #32 of 34

This made me laugh, only because I am ignorant to this. So, what is the E7 trap? 
happy_face1.gif

PS, Thanks for the edit, you saved this thread from a major derailment. 
tongue_smile.gif

He's referring to the head-fi trap and not the E7 trap.  The head-fi trap as is follows:

'my HD650 is lacking treble!'
'go buy a 500 dollar dac it'll open the 650 right up'

'my akg701 lacks bass extension!'
'replace your amp's stock tubes with exotic ones, it'll give it subterranean bass'

'my M50 doesn't sound punchy!' 
'order an E10 it'll make the M50 knock you out like mike tyson'

Etc etc.

In other words, giving you a solution that is both expensive and not as efficient as just buying a new headphone with a sound more to your liking.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #33 of 34
Thanks for the info, and I agree. It is easier to give a few things at your disposal a try and if it does not work out, sell/return them and buy headphones more to your liking (which can be very difficult and frustrating). However, if you didn't take a big hit in the wallet and did fall for this trap, enjoy your new toy and have fun experimenting. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #34 of 34
I got some 598's a week ago because lightning sale on Amazon. They're not for me at all. Same problem. Everything sounds beautiful and clear, but there's no kick. Even at ear damaging levels they're not satisfying.

I think what other people are saying about amps/DACs not being the saving grace is right. If you don't like 'em, they're not for you.

My m50x's feel like they're kicking my head in after going back n forth between them and the 598s. Not sure if because open back headphones just aren't for me, or it's just the way THESE headphones sound. 

m50's are great, btw, and you should try out some closed backs. It seems like theyr'e punchier, and after a good listening sesh you take them off and go 'whoa. Where am I?' Of course they do clamp your ears tightly and after an hour you want to switch to something else, but if you want your head kicked in with crystal clear sound try em out. The build quality also makes hte 598's feel like Fisher Price. 

Any supplementary upgrades will give you a minimally upgraded feeling, tho an upgraded cord and DAC/amp will give you a good 20-25% improvement. 

If you still hate them Amazon is offering an $86 gift card for a trade in on 598s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back