Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 16, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #11,431 of 16,081
Anyone know what the 'CLK tx=rx' option does under 'Misc settings'?

Did not see it in the documentation anywhere and figured it might've been added after the manual was made but I also couldn't seem to find it anywhere in the various firmware update notes.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #11,432 of 16,081
Anyone know what the 'CLK tx=rx' option does under 'Misc settings'?

Did not see it in the documentation anywhere and figured it might've been added after the manual was made but I also couldn't seem to find it anywhere in the various firmware update notes.

It has something to do with clock data recover related to Ethernet and/or USB. Basically it means that the transmit (TX) clock is set from the receiver (RX) clock. I would not mess with it as they are settings for low-level hardware. I would *guess* that they exposed them for use in helping users debug issues.

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #11,433 of 16,081
Does anyone know if the USB port on the back is working and can receive and process audio from, say, a PC?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #11,435 of 16,081
Does anyone know if the USB port on the back is working and can receive and process audio from, say, a PC?

Yep, it's working. That's actually what I've been mainly using for gaming.

I mentioned it before but in Windows 10, when I went to test the virtual speakers, the left and right surrounds were mixed up with the left and right rears. Seems to be a bug in the USB driver or something but luckily the A16 settings allow you to simply swap the virtual speakers around so the sound is coming from the right speakers.

So for anyone trying to use the USB, you may experience the same behavior.

Otherwise it works great (albeit USB only supports up to 7.1, but that's good enough for me for gaming).

It also adds a 'Line In' under the Recording tab in Sound settings and I'm assuming this is the 3.5mm GAME port on the front panel of the A16 although I haven't used that myself.

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #11,436 of 16,081
(albeit USB only supports up to 7.1, but that's good enough for me for gaming)
I don't know if someone already managed 16 channels via USB, but that should be possible also.The limitation to 7.1 probably is on the pc side. Windows, Windows settings, used USB driver,... and last but not least: where would someone get 16 channels from on the pc? I don't no of any atmos/dts:X/auro3D decoding software on the pc. Or gaming software that generates 16 channel pcm audio. Only thing I can think of is special pro audio / (home) studio kind of things (that I don't know anything about).

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #11,437 of 16,081
I don't know if someone already managed 16 channels via USB, but that should be possible also.The limitation to 7.1 probably is on the pc side. Windows, Windows settings, used USB driver,... and last but not least: where would someone get 16 channels from on the pc? I don't no of any atmos/dts:X/auro3D decoding software on the pc. Or gaming software that generates 16 channel pcm audio. Only thing I can think of is special pro audio / (home) studio kind of things (that I don't know anything about).

Ah yeah, I just recalled reading about that in the FAQ on the Smyth Research site:

Q. What audio modes are supported by the USB 2.0 port?

The A16 USB interface natively inputs 16 channels of 24-bit PCM up to 96kHz. Windows sees the A16 as a 2.0ch, 5.1ch or 7.1ch 24-bit 44.1/48/88.2/96kHz sound card with stereo line in. Running in ASIO mode an audio editing application such as Pro Tools or Reaper see the A16 as a discrete 16 channel 24-bit 44.1/48/88.2/96kHz output card. Mac OS sees the same.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #11,438 of 16,081
Screenshot_20210317-110817_Amazon Shopping.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R60ESE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Z2NRVRR186CAEWWA0HY2

Although it's only 7.1... lol... It's a lovely sounding recording.

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #11,439 of 16,081
Listed my 2U unit for sale in the classifieds. [US model]

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #11,441 of 16,081
Inserting the A16 into a complicated cabling arrangement when there are multiple sources wanting to go to the AVR is a dilemma.
Thanks for the details, and sorry it took a while to respond.

I actually posted my solution back in February: Post #11,080 of 11,441

It's really pretty simple and now that I recabled so the splitter is feeding the HDMI 1 on the A16, everything works as expected with Atmos from all my streamers. So if your AVR has the same source bypass behavior as the Denon, it's quite simple to operate.

I it also handy to have to only unplug/re-plug a single HDMI every time I haul the A16 off the theater for my weekly PRIR sessions :wink:

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #11,442 of 16,081
If it's not too personal... I'm curious as to why.
I explained it in the classifieds but basically I lost interest on this product by the time it arrived. [Kickstarter backing].

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #11,443 of 16,081
Anyone know how to attach photos to PRIR files... I can't find it in the manual(s)... might have missed though.

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #11,444 of 16,081
It's official I don't know what I'm doing, I hope. I've created my preset, am sending an HDMI signal from the NVIDIA shield, and a Toslink signal from my Chromecast. In both cases the output I'm getting is a continuous beeping sound. Not beeps, just one continuous beeepppppp. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm doing HDMI 1 as my input and it's selected as such. Also when I chromecast I select optical and it also gives me the beep. The graphic page correctly identifies the input signal (as t9 whether it's dolby audio, etc) , but no signals show on the inividual speaker VU icons.

Obviously I'm selecting headphone output on the remote. The Realiser will play the test signal, and it was able to play the PRIR tones, and I can pass the audio from the NVIDIA to my TV set by going through the Realiser. It just isn't taking the audio from the NVIDIA and the Chromecast and giving audio.

Help.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #11,445 of 16,081
I haven't experienced this issue. Are you think your PRIRs are bad? Have you tried the same setup with the bbc room PRIRs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back