SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #377 of 435

New Z Reviews post on the Horizon flag ship.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #379 of 435
The horizon flagship interests me from what Z has said, has anyone gotten a chance to listen to them at the current CanJam and have any impressions?
Personally, can’t stand his reviews (he is manic!!!!!) but I do watch the occasional one if he’s reviewing things im interested in. And I’m very curious about the horizons!! Looking forward to some more reviews too.

Mar 10, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #380 of 435
Personally, can’t stand his reviews (he is manic!!!!!) but I do watch the occasional one if he’s reviewing things im interested in. And I’m very curious about the horizons!! Looking forward to some more reviews too.

I had some initial impressions from SoCal CanJam a few months ago but the bass was phenomenal even in the open environment and then being open back.

I enjoyed the Umi a lot but where the Umi is neutral with some bass boost, the Horizon felt like it had a lot more character in the sound. My understanding is that tuning is not 100% final but there's a good mid bass boost (some sub bass roll off to avoid the Horizon shaking I believe). I'd be curious about how they are with some refinement over the months.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #381 of 435
I like his reviews lol, any other audio reviewer I only watch if I'm interested in the product itself, Z makes me laugh and keeps me entertained even if its a headphone/speaker that I know I will never buy.
I'd definitely love to watch other reviews of the horizon too to get more perspectives but sadly no others are out yet.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #382 of 435
I had some initial impressions from SoCal CanJam a few months ago but the bass was phenomenal even in the open environment and then being open back.

I enjoyed the Umi a lot but where the Umi is neutral with some bass boost, the Horizon felt like it had a lot more character in the sound. My understanding is that tuning is not 100% final but there's a good mid bass boost (some sub bass roll off to avoid the Horizon shaking I believe). I'd be curious about how they are with some refinement over the months.
Greetings SemperMalum, I've been looking at the Umi, and curious if you have any more thoughts with these: Is it as comfortable as zeos has stated? And the sound signature is it purely neutral or? The weight is what I'm really needing and if the sound is pleasing, I'll probably grab a pair. The African Rosewood is gorgeous, and thinking it may add a "little " warmth to the neutrality of them? Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated and respected.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #383 of 435
Greetings SemperMalum, I've been looking at the Umi, and curious if you have any more thoughts with these: Is it as comfortable as zeos has stated? And the sound signature is it purely neutral or? The weight is what I'm really needing and if the sound is pleasing, I'll probably grab a pair. The African Rosewood is gorgeous, and thinking it may add a "little " warmth to the neutrality of them? Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated and respected.

The Umi is very, very, very comfortable. They really don't feel like they weigh anything on your head.

That being said, they do that swivel thing for sure but I believe Jeffrey had said he's developed a better headband and I think he'd be willing to ship out the better headband to reduce the swiveling. Or, if you're buying it new (sounds like you may be?), I'd ask him about the headband before picking it up. He's super responsive.

The sound is very pleasing. Honestly, if I was to put it in words, it's neutral and analytical but with a subtle mid bass boost. It's clean from top to bottom and it takes EQ very well (I added a small bump to bass on my amp's tone control and the bass can be as satisfying as the JM). I think the difference in the rosewood version is subtle vs the silver one I have. It may be worth asking him about it if that's the look/set you were thinking about.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #384 of 435
The Umi is very, very, very comfortable. They really don't feel like they weigh anything on your head.

That being said, they do that swivel thing for sure but I believe Jeffrey had said he's developed a better headband and I think he'd be willing to ship out the better headband to reduce the swiveling. Or, if you're buying it new (sounds like you may be?), I'd ask him about the headband before picking it up. He's super responsive.

The sound is very pleasing. Honestly, if I was to put it in words, it's neutral and analytical but with a subtle mid bass boost. It's clean from top to bottom and it takes EQ very well (I added a small bump to bass on my amp's tone control and the bass can be as satisfying as the JM). I think the difference in the rosewood version is subtle vs the silver one I have. It may be worth asking him about it if that's the look/set you were thinking about.
Thank you for your insight. Looks like I'll be giving Jeffery an email. Do you know if the "new" headband is just as comfortable? As I wouldn't mind the spinning... Thx again!

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #385 of 435
Thank you for your insight. Looks like I'll be giving Jeffery an email. Do you know if the "new" headband is just as comfortable? As I wouldn't mind the spinning... Thx again!

Don't have that info unfortunately, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be! I think his main pull (design philosophy) for this set was about being able to comfortably listen for hours whether it's the weight or chill yet analytical nature of the tuning.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #387 of 435
He says a lot of NOTHING in his reviews... I really don't like him or his reviews personally

Yeah, it's kind of hard to decipher what he's trying to say in this case for sure. I think doing batch reviews is making him feel way more scattered then normal. But, overall, feels like good vibes or intentions here. Hopefully some people tried the Horizon at CanJam and they post their impressions when they get home.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #388 of 435
Yeah, it's kind of hard to decipher what he's trying to say in this case for sure. I think doing batch reviews is making him feel way more scattered then normal. But, overall, feels like good vibes or intentions here. Hopefully some people tried the Horizon at CanJam and they post their impressions when they get home.
I already got an early impression from someone on discord saying he thought it was the worse thing there. He is trust worthy but I trust my own ears more than someone on the internet

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #389 of 435
I already got an early impression from someone on discord saying he thought it was the worse thing there. He is trust worthy but I trust my own ears more than someone on the internet

Interesting! I had a good take away experience when I heard it previously but I'd be curious what he didn't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back