Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #1,246 of 6,718
The headphones.com headphone gods have spoken! I’ll pick these up when they’re $300–I already have the 6XX and 600. Looks like Senn has to compete with their past success, interesting position to be in and surprised they set the preorder price so high with such an informed and experienced fan base.

I'm somewhat surprised that at 5.30 he claims that the 660S2 is a straightforward upgrade to the 660S when the only thing that seems to be 'better' about it's FR is more sub bass extension (which he somewhere then goes on to say is not very significant). What about the huge dip at 4-5kHz on the 660S2? Sure that might be pleasant for some people, but I'm confused as to how the new hp can be a straightforward upgrade over the 660S based on the FR graph, especially when he seems to be quite happy to use EQ. If you're going to use EQ, why not just do that with the 660S? And indeed, why, given that he says that some people might like the 660S2 because of it's tuning, is that not also true of the 660S?

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #1,247 of 6,718
I'm somewhat surprised that at 5.30 he claims that the 660S2 is a straightforward upgrade to the 660S when the only thing that seems to be 'better' about it's FR is more sub bass extension (which he somewhere then goes on to say is not very significant). What about the huge dip at 4-5kHz on the 660S2? Sure that might be pleasant for some people, but I'm confused as to how the new hp can be a straightforward upgrade over the 660S based on the FR graph, especially when he seems to be quite happy to use EQ. If you're going to use EQ, why not just do that with the 660S? And indeed, why, given that he says that some people might like the 660S2 because of it's tuning, is that not also true of the 660S?
You shouldn't rely on one reviewers opinion.
Do your search and then better to try and listen by yourself.

If you ask me (another reviewers subjective opinion) the sub-bass extension is significant, especially for a HD6.. series headphone and the driver is much more capable in overall technicalities compared to both the 660S and the 650.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #1,248 of 6,718
You shouldn't rely on one reviewers opinion.
Do your search and then better to try and listen by yourself.

If you ask me (another reviewers subjective opinion) the sub-bass extension is significant, especially for a HD6.. series headphone and the driver is much more capable in overall technicalities compared to both the 660S and the 650.
Oh I agree! I wasn't taking his review as definitive - just pointing out that to claim 'that the 660S2 is a straightforward upgrade to the 660S' whilst looking at the FR graph comparison was curious given that one didn't look better overall to me than the other.......

I appreciated your review of the 660S2 BTW. One of the best I have read. Have you heard the NDH 30? The above reviewer said at one point that what many of us want is an HD600 with true bass extension. It occurred to me that that would be as good a description of the NDH 30 as I've heard. Except that it wouldn't do it full justice.....

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #1,249 of 6,718
Mine has shipped now, hoping Australia Post manage to get it here tomorrow :)

DMS seemed a little meh in his review, will see what my ears think!

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #1,250 of 6,718
Oh I agree! I wasn't taking his review as definitive - just pointing out that to claim 'that the 660S2 is a straightforward upgrade to the 660S' whilst looking at the FR graph comparison was curious given that one didn't look better overall to me than the other.......

I appreciated your review of the 660S2 BTW. One of the best I have read. Have you heard the NDH 30? The above reviewer said at one point that what many of us want is an HD600 with true bass extension. It occurred to me that that would be as good a description of the NDH 30 as I've heard. Except that it wouldn't do it full justice.....
Thank you very much.
The general consensus was that many reviewers and users didn't like the 660S because they were expecting an HD650 and didn't meet their expectations.
So naturally now, they are bashing it in favor of the 660S2...
I have reviewed the NDH-30 and I think that is one of the best sounding and balanced headphones under $1K but I don't think that it's tuning will appeal to HD6.. fans.

Feb 20, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,251 of 6,718
Well reading over this thread , and checking most of the reviews for the new 660s2. . ( could have been called a better name ) . Anyway I do enjoy sennheiser, also grado. Been collecting senn since mid 70s . My still great condition hd450 , then the not so good or used radio frequency wireless one. Never used much at all. Still things got better when picked up my also still mint Hd580 in a winter sale for £100. Then lots of more ordinary stuff . Until Grado. But still keeping my eye on Senn. So finally picked up a mint second hand Hd660s just over £200. Which I actually do enjoy and won't sell or upgrade to new s2. Good enough for me. And finally for now bought the new styled hd600 again just over £200 from senn direct the other week. All good . So good luck senn with the new s2 . But not yet for me. Shame they didn't improve maybe the hd700 .

Attachments

• 20230215_141256.jpg
    20230215_141256.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #1,252 of 6,718
Well, I did something dumb and bought a 660S2. I’m interested to see how it’ll weigh up to my NDH 30 and HD800S.

Been years since I had a HD 650 so I’m certainly interested as to what flavour sound they will deliver! Might post some impressions and comparisons in the coming weeks. :)

Feb 20, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #1,253 of 6,718
And for DMS HD650 have better bass extrention than 660S2 so we've got chaos of contradicting reviewers:ksc75smile: But honestly I guess unit variation as well as different gear people listen to is part of the answer.

Oh and btw there's no way S2's MSRP is going to sustain 600$ for much longer. Way overpriced. Realisticly speaking it's just another HD6 flavour that should be sold at 300-400$ and let's not forget 239$ HD6XX exist. They should all cost the same.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #1,254 of 6,718
And for DMS HD650 have better bass extrention than 660S2 so we've got chaos of contradicting reviewers:ksc75smile: But honestly I guess unit variation as well as different gear people listen to is part of the answer.

Oh and btw there's no way S2's MSRP is going to sustain 600$ for much longer. Way overpriced. Realisticly speaking it's just another HD6 flavour that should be sold at 300-400$ and let's not forget 239$ HD6XX exist. They should all cost the same.
I will not comment about the pricing policy of Sennheiser.

Regarding the sub-bass extension there is absolutely no way that the 650 is extending as low as the 660S2 and without rolling off.
You don't need measurements, a five seconds blind listening is enough.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #1,257 of 6,718
........and the driver is much more capable in overall technicalities compared to both the 660S and the 650.
Just thinking about this again, I would be interested to know why you think the 660S2 driver is more technically capable than the 660S driver (300ohm?) and what differences you think that makes to the performance. I understand that it's a better (more capable) driver than the 650. It should be of course because it was the driver from the HD700, but have they actually improved that driver, or is it more of a retuning that some people will like and others may not? If it's genuinely better, rather than just different, it would be a reason the get the 660S2.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #1,258 of 6,718
Well, I did something dumb and bought a 660S2. I’m interested to see how it’ll weigh up to my NDH 30 and HD800S.

Been years since I had a HD 650 so I’m certainly interested as to what flavour sound they will deliver! Might post some impressions and comparisons in the coming weeks. :)
waiting for your impressions, Since i have all Sennheiser cans.

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #1,259 of 6,718
Just thinking about this again, I would be interested to know why you think the 660S2 driver is more technically capable than the 660S driver (300ohm?) and what differences you think that makes to the performance. I understand that it's a better (more capable) driver than the 650. It should be of course because it was the driver from the HD700, but have they actually improved that driver, or is it more of a retuning that some people will like and others may not? If it's genuinely better, rather than just different, it would be a reason the get the 660S2.
I have included my findings inside the review.
From the better bass technicalities and dynamics to the blacker background with less distortion and excellent micro dynamics.

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #1,260 of 6,718
I have included my findings inside the review.
From the better bass technicalities and dynamics to the blacker background with less distortion and excellent micro dynamics.
Thanks @Ichos. I do remember those those impressions from your review, I just wondered if you had any technical measurements of the 660S2 driver to compare with the 660S driver (other than FR which doesn't say much about technical ability) which would explain your listening experiences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back