Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 1, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #181 of 6,720
Well, this particular reviewer has proved over the years and after 200 reviews that he is not hyping anything and he is not jumping into early conclusions.

Don't know about the others though....
Didn't mean to impinge your reputation. I was talking in generalities. I'm sure you do great, unbiased reviews. I'm very interested to read your thoughts.

Thanks

Leo

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #184 of 6,720
Didn't mean to impinge your reputation. I was talking in generalities. I'm sure you do great, unbiased reviews. I'm very interested to read your thoughts.

Thanks

Leo
I was not offended by your post, just making myself clear since I am the first to have the headphone!

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #187 of 6,720
Oh it is. It’s one of the only headphones that competes with the HD 6xx line in terms of both price and sound signature. The HD 6xx has the midrange timbre and detail advantage but the R70X has a better FR tuning imho and spatial characteristics. I found the R70X a little trickier to get to shine (it’s finicky with the system) than the HD 6xx series though. The reason I generally want a HD 6xx series alongside the R70X is due to the Senns midrange. If the HD 660S2 pulls off a similar or better spatial ability as the R70X while having the wonderful Sennheiser HD 600 series midrange timbre it will be my new go to neutrally tuned headphone.
I got the OLLO S4X and I find it fits into the category you are describing. Quite neutral but still sounding ‘musical’ in the midrange.

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #188 of 6,720
just one question then. is soundstage better? 560ish? I'm hoping regardless of everything else it does something new and exciting for a 600 series headphone like this.
My thoughts exactly! :) In fact I still stick to HD599 'cuz prefer open soundstage with good bass even at the cost of better vocals and scalability within HD6-series. I'm hoping 660S2 brings some significant improvements in that aspect combing best things from both lineups.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #189 of 6,720
No , nothing like that.
I am planning to post some early impressions and then follow my regular reviewing practice which includes at least 100 hours of burning before serious listening.
Now, be careful! You 're holding our happiness in your hands!
(Can't wait for the first impressions! )

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #190 of 6,720
From the OP: "... 300 ohm impedance for excellence impulse response and an intimate sound and great timbre."

"Intimate sound", so don't expect improvements in soundstage size, unfortunately. Else they would have raved about huge soundstages.

By the way, here in Europe no pricedrop yet on the old 660S1, shops are still hoping for idiots who don't know the news yet about an upcoming S2.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #191 of 6,720
I'll wait a year or so, and see whether or not the initial reviews were premature.
Come on, I don't think they'll take that long to burn in.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #192 of 6,720
No , nothing like that.
I am planning to post some early impressions and then follow my regular reviewing practice which includes at least 100 hours of burning before serious listening
"at least 100 hours of burning" come on, you are not serious are you? If you are I will skip your review for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #194 of 6,720
"at least 100 hours of burning" come on, you are not serious are you? If you are I will skip your review for sure.
Yes I am but I am doing it as a habit though just to be sure and I never monitor any progress.
I leave every new headphone or earphone playing music for about 100 hours and then start my listening.
Simple as that.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #195 of 6,720
From the OP: "... 300 ohm impedance for excellence impulse response and an intimate sound and great timbre."

"Intimate sound", so don't expect improvements in soundstage size, unfortunately.
I don't think HD 660S2 offers a different kind of soundstage versus 600/650/660S, but to my ears the music is closer and I'm pulled into the center of the action by "another meter or so". This is clearest when you go balanced.

The warmer bass, extra slam and faster (but smoother) treble give you a greater sense of emotional connection with instruments and vocalists. There is also a lovely high-end response that offers subtle brilliance depending on the proximity to the ears.

This is from my ears, and of course I'm with the house so I will suggest the obvious that everyone read the upcoming impressions and reviews from our awesome community members.

Come on, I don't think they'll take that long to burn in.
Burn-in is totally up to the reviewer and we must remember that those that practice it look at those who don't and say "...I don't think they'll burn in that quickly"

Most in-depth reviewers publishing to headgear pages will disclose if they practice it or not, or at least summarize the listening period length (hours, days, etc). We'll have a pretty wide variety of reviewers lined up so you'll be able to get impressions with and without burn-in.

Attachments

• 20230201_095103.jpg
    20230201_095103.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back