Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 9, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #6,556 of 6,722
May 9, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #6,557 of 6,722
Thanks for posting, but it isn't Helpful for me at all. It's just recapping the Senn press release. Looking forward to first 3rd party hands-on review.....
This is the first article I have seen. I have also looking forward to reviews and impressions.

May 9, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #6,558 of 6,722
660S2 doesn't sound like garbage out of my Sony ZX707 JP but it doesn't sound as good as it should.

The 660S2 is much better paired with my Cayin RU7 dongle for some reason.

I just bought the zx707 and the 660s2's sounds ok, but I don't think I am getting full potential out of the headphones. Can anyone recommend a good DAP to push these headphones? FiiO, HiBy?

May 9, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #6,559 of 6,722
I just bought the zx707 and the 660s2's sounds ok, but I don't think I am getting full potential out of the headphones. Can anyone recommend a good DAP to push these headphones? FiiO, HiBy?
I have both ZX707 JP and Cayin N6ii and they sound better with N6ii

May 9, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #6,560 of 6,722
My Lotoo Paw Gold Touch balanced with high gain does very well with HD660S2

May 11, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #6,562 of 6,722
Does it take a long time for the 660s2’s to become comfortable? I have these headphones for a couple of months now, but only listened to them for a couple dozen hours. The problem is that I cannot listen to a full album before the pain on top of my head starts, so within an hour.

I read posts about stretching them, but also posts that disapprove of this method and that just using them is best. I am trying to power through with using them, but it is frustrating. I love the sound, but also want to throw them out the window after an hour. Should the foams in the headband touch my head, snugly, loosely, …?

The irony is that part of the reason that I chose the 660s2’s is the lightish weight. I get headaches/pain from most headphones, so I thought these sennies would be perfect for me. It might also be a me problem, given my problems with headphones and iems, who knows. It makes me anxious to try other, heavier headphones, like say a planar.

Any tips to enjoy the great sound the have in them?

May 11, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #6,563 of 6,722
Does it take a long time for the 660s2’s to become comfortable? I have these headphones for a couple of months now, but only listened to them for a couple dozen hours. The problem is that I cannot listen to a full album before the pain on top of my head starts, so within an hour.

I read posts about stretching them, but also posts that disapprove of this method and that just using them is best. I am trying to power through with using them, but it is frustrating. I love the sound, but also want to throw them out the window after an hour. Should the foams in the headband touch my head, snugly, loosely, …?

The irony is that part of the reason that I chose the 660s2’s is the lightish weight. I get headaches/pain from most headphones, so I thought these sennies would be perfect for me. It might also be a me problem, given my problems with headphones and iems, who knows. It makes me anxious to try other, heavier headphones, like say a planar.

I had this same problem when I first got mine. What I did was put two older Bose computer speakers together and then placed my 660S2’s over them for several hours at time during the day and then overnight. After about a week, it really made a difference and I now I just hang them on my headphones stand and don’t try to stretch them.

I find them very comfortable to wear now and no longer feel that strong clamp that would also give me a bit of a headache.

Attachments

• IMG_3012.jpeg
    IMG_3012.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #6,564 of 6,722
I had this same problem when I first got mine. What I did was put two older Bose computer speakers together and then placed my 660S2’s over them for several hours at time during the day and then overnight. After about a week, it really made a difference and I now I just hang them on my headphones stand and don’t try to stretch them.

I find them very comfortable to wear now and no longer feel that strong clamp that would also give me a bit of a headache.
Also, if you're wondering if the pads were affected negatively from this, they weren't. I realize that it looks like there's uneven pressure on them in the picture (and in that picture, there is indeed uneven pressure), but I just adjusted them so the pads had as even of pressure across the surface as I could. If you look at my ear pads now, you'd never know. YMMV of course :smile_phones:

May 11, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #6,565 of 6,722

I have this issue with just about every headphone and can't wear them for long without discomfort and headaches. Comfort is my number one priority and that makes my ability to collect headphones very small. The thing is, even if they retain their stretched shape cup shape and swivels can mess up the fit. With the Arya V2 the bottom would get too loose while the top of the cups would still be too tight.

That being said I've had really good success with my 1990s and the 660s (still waiting on my s2). The 660 can be hand bent on the metal sliders that attach the cups to the headband. You need to be careful because you can kink the metal band easily which angles them away from you head in a weird shape. You also want to only put pressure of the metal and avoid putting pressure on the plastic bits it attached to.

Like the poster above showed you put them over something that is larger than your head (I use headphones boxes) and let them sit there. The 660s have a plastic headband so they'll have some spring back and might need to go back on the box. A combination of hand bending the metal and putting them to sit on a box have made them sit really well for me.

The important thing to remember is that you need to keep stretching them until they fit. If they're uncomfortable, back to stretching, take them off and let them spring back. Still uncomfortable? Back on the box until it isn't.

May 11, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #6,566 of 6,722
I have this issue with just about every headphone and can't wear them for long without discomfort and headaches. Comfort is my number one priority and that makes my ability to collect headphones very small. The thing is, even if they retain their stretched shape cup shape and swivels can mess up the fit. With the Arya V2 the bottom would get too loose while the top of the cups would still be too tight.

That being said I've had really good success with my 1990s and the 660s (still waiting on my s2). The 660 can be hand bent on the metal sliders that attach the cups to the headband. You need to be careful because you can kink the metal band easily which angles them away from you head in a weird shape. You also want to only put pressure of the metal and avoid putting pressure on the plastic bits it attached to.

Like the poster above showed you put them over something that is larger than your head (I use headphones boxes) and let them sit there. The 660s have a plastic headband so they'll have some spring back and might need to go back on the box. A combination of hand bending the metal and putting them to sit on a box have made them sit really well for me.

The important thing to remember is that you need to keep stretching them until they fit. If they're uncomfortable, back to stretching, take them off and let them spring back. Still uncomfortable? Back on the box until it isn't.
Comfort is very important and is sometimes overlooked. I found some headphone simply need a bit of time to get comfortable such as the HD 6xx line, they can be a bit much out of the box and if you don't stretch them can take weeks or over a month to reach ideal comfort. I have had good luck with both HD 6xx line and Beyers. Though honestly the headphone that is the most comfortable I ever came across is the ATH-R70x, which sounds very similar to the late production HD 660S1 moreso than the HD 660S2 does. Comfort is also very personal, so what is most comfortable can be all over the place depending on the person.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #6,567 of 6,722
It takes 5 minutes to set the clamp as you like it. Metal bends :D

And once you do it, they become the most comfortable headphones of all: lightweight, generous oval cups, velour pads and moderate clamp 👍

May 11, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #6,568 of 6,722
Comfort is very important and is sometimes overlooked. I found some headphone simply need a bit of time to get comfortable such as the HD 6xx line, they can be a bit much out of the box and if you don't stretch them can take weeks or over a month to reach ideal comfort. I have had good luck with both HD 6xx line and Beyers. Though honestly the headphone that is the most comfortable I ever came across is the ATH-R70x, which sounds very similar to the late production HD 660S1 moreso than the HD 660S2 does. Comfort is also very personal, so what is most comfortable can be all over the place depending on the person.

When I had the R70X and 660s1/2 all side by side, it was amazing how light the r70X was along with the fact it sounded like a Sennheiser moreso than typical AT open back sound. The earcups on the r70x is hit or miss though since the cups are smaller than the AD1k/2kx/x5k etc.

But the most comfortable over ear so far is the mdr-f1

1715460555763.jpeg

For the 6 series, not all of them sound better when the clamp loosens over time.

In other words, some 6 series sound better as clamp loosens, and others sound better with more clamp.
Then you have some which sound better as the pad flattens, and others which sound better with brand new pads.

So, these things should be factored in IME

May 11, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #6,569 of 6,722

This happens with all the Sennheisers I have here, including the HD800S. I'm not positive stretching will do any good when the pain is located at the top of the head.

The tricks I use:
  • Keep moving the headband front to back (and vice-versa), always to a region of no pain. I may repeat that multiple times if needed;
  • Pull the headphones slightly up while pressing the pads into my jaws, i.e., increasing clamping force. This way the pressure on the top of my head is reduced.
The 2nd trick usually works best for me and it is in direct opposition to the stretching work-around. Needless to state that if the clamping force is gone due excessive stretching, the only force being applied to your head is the gravity itself. I have a narrow head so the clamping force was never an issue to me in the first place.

I have seen some people putting some headband cushion, but I have never tried them myself. If you can get a cushion with a higher surface area, it will certainly reduce the pressure in your head, at the expense of more heat. E.g.: here.

And, of course, there is always the "do nothing and embrace the pain route". 🙋‍♂️ :xf_smile:

May 11, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #6,570 of 6,722
When I had the R70X and 660s1/2 all side by side, it was amazing how light the r70X was along with the fact it sounded like a Sennheiser moreso than typical AT open back sound. The earcups on the r70x is hit or miss though since the cups are smaller than the AD1k/2kx/x5k etc.

But the most comfortable over ear so far is the mdr-f1

For the 6 series, not all of them sound better when the clamp loosens over time.

In other words, some 6 series sound better as clamp loosens, and others sound better with more clamp.
Then you have some which sound better as the pad flattens, and others which sound better with brand new pads.

So, these things should be factored in IME
Yeah it's very similar to the Sennheiser sound, I would say the main difference would be the treble presentation was a little different, has a hint of the AT flavor but without the brightness. They are hit of miss, but if the earcups work for you they are one of the most comfortable headphones ever imho.

Never had the chance to hear the Sony MDR-F1, I did have a Sony MDR-MA900, it was quite comfortable but not as much as the R70x to me. I didn't like the MA900 sound though, it was so grainy to my ears which sucks because without the grain it would've been such a nice headphone. Sony is weird though, they are all over the place in terms of sound quality, tuning, designs, etc. Do want to try the recent MV1 and see where that thing sits comfort wise.

That is true about some HD 6xx series headphone sounding better with more clamp and some with less clamp. To me I think the HD 600 for instance sounds better with loosened clamp but also flatter pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back