Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 11, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #6,571 of 6,581
Yeah it's very similar to the Sennheiser sound, I would say the main difference would be the treble presentation was a little different, has a hint of the AT flavor but without the brightness. They are hit of miss, but if the earcups work for you they are one of the most comfortable headphones ever imho.

Never had the chance to hear the Sony MDR-F1, I did have a Sony MDR-MA900, it was quite comfortable but not as much as the R70x to me. I didn't like the MA900 sound though, it was so grainy to my ears which sucks because without the grain it would've been such a nice headphone. Sony is weird though, they are all over the place in terms of sound quality, tuning, designs, etc. Do want to try the recent MV1 and see where that thing sits comfort wise.

That is true about some HD 6xx series headphone sounding better with more clamp and some with less clamp. To me I think the HD 600 for instance sounds better with loosened clamp but also flatter pads.

One thing that puzzles me with the 6 series, is how they don't sound as open as they look. They're intimate, and open sounding yes... but they don't sound as open as at the Audio Technica AD1000x for example.

Ofc, the Ad1kX doesn't sound as balanced/natural as the 660S2 for example.

The F1 is so OPEN, it's actually insane. Good for like browsing internet/Youtube etc.
It does something a 6 series cannot do. It's so open and leaks so much the sounds blend in a very unusual way (like the channels bleed into each other)
Also, there is no seperation from reality and the music , similar to AKG k1000. Hard to explain unless you have heard them.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #6,572 of 6,581
One thing that puzzles me with the 6 series, is how they don't sound as open as they look. They're intimate, and open sounding yes... but they don't sound as open as at the Audio Technica AD1000x for example.

The F1 is so OPEN, it's actually insane. Good for like browsing internet/Youtube etc.
It does something a 6 series cannot do. It's so open and leaks so much the sounds blend in a very unusual way (like the channels bleed into each other)
Also, there is no seperation from reality and the music , similar to AKG k1000. Hard to explain unless you have heard them.
Just about anything with portable audio is hard to explain.

May 11, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #6,573 of 6,581
This happens with all the Sennheisers I have here, including the HD800S. I'm not positive stretching will do any good when the pain is located at the top of the head.
I didn't even realize he said on top of the head.

I like to buy Geekria knit headband covers and buy one of their headband pads. Shove the pad into the cover and close it up, tons of cushion

May 11, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #6,574 of 6,581

Yeah the HD 6xx don’t really feel or sound that open compared to how open they look. Maybe it’s the steel mesh? I could’ve sworn the old black silk ones felt more open. I do have to say the R70x does feel notably more open and sounds more open than the HD 6xx line which was another difference. This allows them to blend into the surrounding environment more, not quite as much as a K1000 or the MA900 (F1’s successor) did for instance but far more than normal.

Never really listened to the other open AT’s, only real experience is the R70x which is just as balanced/natural sounding as the Hd 6xx line.

I am aware of what you’re talking about. Have had the chance to hear the K1000 before. Hopefully we get more insanely open headphones in the future that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Whether it’s another successor of the F1 or someone else releases something stupid open like that.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #6,575 of 6,581
Try earside foam removal / mesh replacement installation ....
IMG_3913.jpeg
IMG_5523.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #6,577 of 6,581
The cables are Norne Audio Vygarde. Colour: 'black' with 'copper accents'.

May 11, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #6,578 of 6,581
Try earside foam removal / mesh replacement installation ....IMG_3913.jpegIMG_5523.jpeg
Not complaining about the openness, just not as open as you would think based on the design, the front foam is definitely one of the culprits as taking it off does definitely physically open things up and I do think no foam works better on the HD 660S2 than say the HD 650 or HD 600 due to the S2's more laid-back mids and inherently more controlled sound. I just also think the old silk was slightly more breathable as well, but I don't have a black silk HD 580/600/650 on hand to confirm.

May 12, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #6,579 of 6,581
This happens with all the Sennheisers I have here, including the HD800S. I'm not positive stretching will do any good when the pain is located at the top of the head.

The tricks I use:
  • Keep moving the headband front to back (and vice-versa), always to a region of no pain. I may repeat that multiple times if needed;
  • Pull the headphones slightly up while pressing the pads into my jaws, i.e., increasing clamping force. This way the pressure on the top of my head is reduced.
The 2nd trick usually works best for me and it is in direct opposition to the stretching work-around. Needless to state that if the clamping force is gone due excessive stretching, the only force being applied to your head is the gravity itself. I have a narrow head so the clamping force was never an issue to me in the first place.

I have seen some people putting some headband cushion, but I have never tried them myself. If you can get a cushion with a higher surface area, it will certainly reduce the pressure in your head, at the expense of more heat. E.g.: here.

And, of course, there is always the "do nothing and embrace the pain route". 🙋‍♂️ :xf_smile:
Your first trick is something I sometimes do, it does give temporary relief. I'll try your second trick, hopefully it will help.

I have also thought about extending the headphones a few clicks further, so that the headband is not touching my head, but that completely relies on the clamping force.

May 12, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #6,581 of 6,581
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back