replacing my DT-770 250ohms with what?!?
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

djdakine

New Head-Fier
SIGH

lets just put my stupidity in quick recap

had a baby - so wanted something portable
sold my DT-770
picked up ATH-m50x - felt it really lacking at home
picked up a AUNE T1 MK2
regret not having my DT-770 at home

I cant get myself to buy the 770s again, especially paying more then what I sold them for. And having perfectly burned it set of cans. If I need to spend that much, maybe try something else? I've been on the forums for a few weeks and just too many options.

BUDGET: up to $500. I prefer value - and understand $-value doesn't equate to sound quality. But thats' the upper end of what i'm willing to spend. I'd be more then happy to spend less of course =)

PREFERENCE: warm sounds, vocals, acoustic guitar, piano.  Not a fan of treble fatigue. Closed can because of baby. Well honestly never had open cans - I just didn't want something that would wake up my kid when she's sleeping. Comfort - those 770s were amazingly comfortable.

These m50X sound just fine on this DAC/AMP.  But since I sold my 770s before I got this set, I keep wondering what i'm missing.

Thanks for any suggestions! I live in Hawaii - so i'm pretty limited to what I can buy/sample/return.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 9
  Can't you sit in a seperate room?

I wish.  she's a climber now. She's behind me, so I just throw my m50x on, then aim my webcam to watch her so I know when she's up.

But i'm really open to switching to Open cans. From reading, seems like so many more possibilities.  I can just use these m50x's when I need closed/sealed.  They're not horrible. It's just crave what I dont have I guess.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 9
If it was me I would get the HE-500 for sure. Then I'd either use the other headphones when she sleeps or stick something in her ears while she's asleep
biggrin.gif
Open is so much better. I never use my closed cans after I got open ones.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all the input!  I'm just compiling my list - and looking for something to go on sale.  So the HE-500s, are they really THAT much better then the DT-880s 250ohm, HD600/650, etc.  So hard to decide without getting to hear each one.

I'm looking at that AKG 7XX and the DT-880s on MD.  I loved how comfy my 770s were.  But after dropping nearly 1K on a new camera lens - wallet is hurting

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 9
You're looking for a warm sound so DT880 and HD600 is out of the question here. HE-500 beats all in your pricerange but if you want to get something cheaper take a look at Soundmagic HP200, HD650 or maybe Philips Fidelio X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back