Replace my Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b with ...
May 5, 2024 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thomasr

500+ Head-Fier
I've had my MSR7b for over a year now, and I think it's time to admit the relationship probably isn't working out. They are my only closed-back, and while I think it makes sense to have at least one closed-back in the collection, I honestly hardly ever reach for these.

There's just something about the sound that never quite sat right with me. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like there's a clinical or synthetic feel to the music. The emotional component is missing.

By contrast, my SASH Tres 45ohm has emotion in spades. There's a buttery, euphonic warmth and luscious bass that just melts in your mouth. At the other end of the spectrum, my Beyerdynamic DT-880 600ohm brings a really fun sparkle and snap to the party. This goes beyond a simple elevated treble response in those frequencies (which the MSR7b also has) - with the DT-880 there's an addictive sharpness that just sounds right.

But those are both open-backs.

I've been looking at the Thinksound OV-21 and wondering if they might have more character and soul? Any other headphones I should consider? FWIW I tried the Sivga Robin a while back and really hated them. Sonically, it was like a visit to a funhouse hall of mirrors: grotesque and distorted representations of the music leered back at me from every angle.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 3
May 5, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 3
the treble peaks of the DT770 and DT880
Maybe it's the fact my 880's are 600ohm, or maybe it's got something to do with the way my soundholes are shaped, but I don't find them to be excessively bright or anything. Yes, they're the sharpest headphones I own, but everything in the sound signature is exactly where it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back