Recordings with the strongest drum impact
Mar 7, 2017 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
Here you can share recordings you know of that have the strongest drum impact.

This can especially be useful for testing this particular aspect of headphone reproduction.

If possible, embed YouTube links of the tracks.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 6
First thing that came to mind was the Original Broadway Cast album of Stephen Sondheim's "Pacific Overtures."  I used to use the LP as a test disc.  I was pleased to see it made the TAS Super LP list.  

The CD is very good, but the vinyl may have had the edge.   The digital version is on Tidal.  Check out the first 45 seconds of the first track. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 6
  First thing that came to mind was the Original Broadway Cast album of Stephen Sondheim's "Pacific Overtures."  I used to use the LP as a test disc.  I was pleased to see it made the TAS Super LP list.  

The CD is very good, but the vinyl may have had the edge.   The digital version is on Tidal.  Check out the first 45 seconds of the first track. 

It's this, right?

The original performance seemed to have strong impact, but apparently it was lost in the recording/mastering process, because it doesn't hit very hard at all.

When I say drum impact, I mean something more like this. (Especially the part at 3:13.)

Brute Force by The Algorithm

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 6
No, I'm talking about the cast album, not a video of a live performance made for 1970's television.  And anyway it's not what you want if your example is any guide.  But the way the recording captures the full sound of percussion, especially attack and decay, is surpasses any other I own.  

Note - I do not have any albums by Mickey Hart.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 6
  No, I'm talking about the cast album, not a video of a live performance made for 1970's television.  And anyway it's not what you want if your example is any guide.  But the way the recording captures the full sound of percussion, especially attack and decay, is surpasses any other I own.  

Note - I do not have any albums by Mickey Hart.

Ah, that's more like it.

This thread is about recordings that have the strongest drum impact regardless of genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back