quick question reguarding speakers ( and yes im aware this might not be the right place )
Aug 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Emmett62

New Head-Fier
 does any one know any places or brands where some one can buy REAL speakers IE: speakers that are 25 inch high 14 inches wide and 9 inches deep similar to a technics sb -st450 3 way speakers preferably above 140 whats, and not some thing that is 6 inchs high 4 inches wide and  6 inches deep - they look like kid toys and i want NO part of that. oh and im looking for something that doesnt cost THOUSANDS like the stuff @ audophile.com 

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 22
Real speakers require real amping. So you'll also need to consider what amp or AV receiver you want to get.
There are many bookshelf speakers that have under-stated looks that sound nothing like kids-toys. Wharfedale Diamond series comes to mind. These are more adultish if that's what you're looking for without spending thousands.

The bigger speakers really need larger rooms for the purchase to make any sense. Bigger speakers throw a bigger sound (simple physics here), but need a bigger room otherwise the sound gets choked up.
So consider your room size. If you want big speakers for big bass, but only have a small room, maybe you should get some bookshelf speakers and a sub-woofer.

If you do have the space and just want loads of volume but you're also on a budget, maybe you should look for vintage hifi equipment.
A big set of speakers can sometimes cost you less than $50 if you look in the right place or snag a bargain. With amps it's the same story.

If you want to buy new, and want a BIG sound, maybe consider some floor-standers. Their larger enclosures give the sound a much 'larger' presentation, and most of the big ones do go fairly loud. 
If you do get floorstanders, spend a bit more as the cheap ones are just boomy bass fart monsters, and sound terrible next to some cheap large 3-way speakers. 

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the actual wattage of speakers - the wattage game is almost exclusively played by the car audio industry, which frequently claims wattages of over 9000!!!!.... which in actual real money doesn't count for much.
Even a simple 70 watt vintage hifi can easily reach painfully loud volumes. 

Sorry if these are not the answers you seek, but you didn't give much to go on (room size, budget, sound preferences, genres, useage (movie, music, gaming), styling preferences etc)

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
Does any one know any places or brands where some one can buy REAL speakers IE: speakers that are 25 inch high 14 inches wide and 9 inches deep similar to a Technics sb -st450 3 way speakers preferably above 140 whats, and not some thing that is 6 inchs high 4 inches wide and  6 inches deep - they look like kid toys and i want NO part of that. oh and im looking for something that doesn't cost THOUSANDS like the stuff @ audophile.com 

Might also try posting these questions at AVforum & AVSforum websites.
The website Techbargins will list speakers that are on sale.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
Real speakers require real amping. So you'll also need to consider what amp or AV receiver you want to get.
There are many bookshelf speakers that have under-stated looks that sound nothing like kids-toys. Wharfedale Diamond series comes to mind. These are more adultish if that's what you're looking for without spending thousands.

The bigger speakers really need larger rooms for the purchase to make any sense. Bigger speakers throw a bigger sound (simple physics here), but need a bigger room otherwise the sound gets choked up.
So consider your room size. If you want big speakers for big bass, but only have a small room, maybe you should get some bookshelf speakers and a sub-woofer.

If you do have the space and just want loads of volume but you're also on a budget, maybe you should look for vintage hifi equipment.
A big set of speakers can sometimes cost you less than $50 if you look in the right place or snag a bargain. With amps it's the same story.

If you want to buy new, and want a BIG sound, maybe consider some floor-standers. Their larger enclosures give the sound a much 'larger' presentation, and most of the big ones do go fairly loud. 
If you do get floorstanders, spend a bit more as the cheap ones are just boomy bass fart monsters, and sound terrible next to some cheap large 3-way speakers. 

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the actual wattage of speakers - the wattage game is almost exclusively played by the car audio industry, which frequently claims wattages of over 9000!!!!.... which in actual real money doesn't count for much.
Even a simple 70 watt vintage hifi can easily reach painfully loud volumes. 

Sorry if these are not the answers you seek, but you didn't give much to go on (room size, budget, sound preferences, genres, useage (movie, music, gaming), styling preferences etc) room size is 25 feet by 30 feet, budget is unlimited but the reasoning point is no more than 1500, soundpref is HEAVY bass. genres mostly metal and NDH. movies and music. gaming is done with astro a50s. not sure what styling preferences means haha...

im looking to buy new or used aslong as the used ones don't look like they got hit buy a slow moving bus. any brands of floor standers you can recommend me to look up ? I already have a amp and reciver to hook these up with

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 22
 does any one know any places or brands where some one can buy REAL speakers IE: speakers that are 25 inch high 14 inches wide and 9 inches deep similar to a technics sb -st450 3 way speakers preferably above 140 whats, and not some thing that is 6 inchs high 4 inches wide and  6 inches deep - they look like kid toys and i want NO part of that. oh and im looking for something that doesnt cost THOUSANDS like the stuff @ audophile.com 

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES90BK-8-Inch-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B00166VDK8/
http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-CWV-VE12-3-Way-Speaker/dp/B000EHUFLI/

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 22
Real speakers require real amping.

That's not accurate. Some big speakers, like many Cerwin Vegas and these BIC RtR-EV15, have very high sensitivity and are easier to drive than many more modern, conventional speakers. That being said, some of these speakers can handle more wattage so that using a pro amp can drive them even louder, but they don't "require" it.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
That's not accurate. Some big speakers, like many Cerwin Vegas and these BIC RtR-EV15, have very high sensitivity and are easier to drive than many more modern, conventional speakers. That being said, some of these speakers can handle more wattage so that using a pro amp can drive them even louder, but they don't "require" it.

quick question are technics speakers even made anymore ?

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
Quote:
Real speakers require real amping.

You didn't understand my post - if you read on, I talk about the need to also chose an A.V receiver or amplifier.... I'm not talking about buying a P.A. behemoth amp.
I use the word 'real' jovially in reference to the OP saying he wants 'real' speakers, not small 'toys'.
Welcome to the internet.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 22
quick question are technics speakers even made anymore ?

I don't think that they are. Is there any reason you are set on Technics or even that 3 way design?

If it's the bigger driver you want, you might look at an LCR speaker in an MTM design with 6" or 6.5" drivers, such as this Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE. So you get two dual drivers instead of one slightly bigger one. So those dual 6.5" drivers in those Ascends have over 30% more cone area than one 8" driver.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #12 of 22
If you really want  to "go for it" and like Japanese speakers. Then there is the "all time great " in the UK. is the -- Yamaha NS1000. Originally priced at £532 in the UK in 1977. High tech. Beryllium mid-band and tweeter domes and "brutish"  12 inch  woofers speakers.Ultra low distortion. I dont know where you live but if its the US you stand a chance of getting them cheap as many might not know their true worth. They certainly do here . Command high prices . 

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
I don't think that they are. Is there any reason you are set on Technics or even that 3 way design?

If it's the bigger driver you want, you might look at an LCR speaker in an MTM design with 6" or 6.5" drivers, such as this Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE. So you get two dual drivers instead of one slightly bigger one. So those dual 6.5" drivers in those Ascends have over 30% more cone area than one 8" driver.

the reason i want it is because my dad owns 4  technics sb -st450 3 way speaker using a pioneer reciver and amp with a clean power  protecter and a dual ten band eq. if properly tuned he can make it loud enough to cover a HUGE quarter mile radius. preferably our block when we use it for the block party when theirs not enough scratch to by a PRO dj. tbh their the best sounding speakers i ever heard i prefer them over bose or sonos.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 22
the reason i want it is because my dad owns 4  technics sb -st450 3 way speaker using a pioneer reciver and amp with a clean power  protecter and a dual ten band eq. if properly tuned he can make it loud enough to cover a HUGE quarter mile radius. preferably our block when we use it for the block party when theirs not enough scratch to by a PRO dj. tbh their the best sounding speakers i ever heard i prefer them over bose or sonos.

In that case, look for speakers with high sensitivity which is a measure of how loud a speaker gets for a certain amount of power. For example, a manufacturer might give a rating of say 90db 1w/1m full space. That would mean you'd get 90db of volume from 1 meter away with 1 watt outdoors sitting on the ground (full space means nothing around it to reflect the sound). Double the wattage, and you get 3db more volume. So 93db for 2 watts. 96db for 4 watts. And so forth up until you reach the speaker or amp limits. If the measurements are like that but say half space, then subtract 3db from the listed amount when comparing against full space measurements.

So these BIC Formula FH-65B should be able to get very loud with a 96db sensitivity rating. On the other hand, these Cerwin Vega XLS 6 look like they'd be loud, but the sensitivity rating is only 85db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back