ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 9, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #15,361 of 16,326
I asked a while back about cases for the DP-X1 and it seems that basically there was the official case and not a lot else. Thought i would share this company though - i dont have the case in my hands yet but communication has been good and they let you customize colors clasps and so on

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B1-EASECAS...ER-XDP-300R-/332316704247?hash=item4d5f9e7df7

have just been sent a picture of my completed design. They seem to be cheaper and for me more attractive than the official thing.

DPX1a pic.jpg

See what you think. Il post again if when i get it if it is in any way disappointing.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #15,362 of 16,326
Hey guys, has anyone found a way to lock physical buttons of X1?

This seems like a very minor issue, until you start using a pouch, that has cut out, and access to buttons, or worse, a hard pouch that has soft sides. Grabbing the pouch by its sides will press one of the buttons, after about 30 times each day, walking around and taking it out of the pocket to adjust volume , or choose file can get really annoying. I chose a folder that I want to play, then put the pouch back on my belt.. and voila, I accidentally touched Pause, or FF, or Back button. So take the player out again, get it to play what I want, and just as I have gently put player back, AGAIN some button is pressed accaccidentally. Ughh!

Can't think of single other device with physical buttons, that doesn't no have a lock to disable buttons. Another 1st by Onkyo! Curiously Onkyo included option in its software menu for "Volume Lock" buried under "Sounds And Notification" menu, but no Buttons lock lol. Why would I want to lock the volume? It's the control I use the most.

Also, there is a menu titled "When Device IS Locked", with options to hide notifications lol. Why would a DAP even show notifications, it's not a phone, not a communication devise, it is a music player.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #15,363 of 16,326
I asked a while back about cases for the DP-X1 and it seems that basically there was the official case and not a lot else. Thought i would share this company though - i dont have the case in my hands yet but communication has been good and they let you customize colors clasps and so on

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B1-EASECAS...ER-XDP-300R-/332316704247?hash=item4d5f9e7df7

have just been sent a picture of my completed design. They seem to be cheaper and for me more attractive than the official thing.

See what you think. Il post again if when i get it if it is in any way disappointing.

Wow, that's a great find.
I use the factory case, but the number of colors and styles this place offers is incredible.
Looking forward to your opinion once you receive yours. My biggest concern is if it's difficult to keep the cover flap out of the way when using the touch screen.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #15,364 of 16,326
Jan 11, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #15,366 of 16,326
Yes, you download via wifi anything that can be downloaded, and that covers everything.

You have a smar phone, yes? Onkyo DP X1 is Android device, and functions like every Android phone, except X1 does not have a sim card slot, nor GSM function. Otherwise you use it like any Android phone, download your favorite music app, download apps etc.

To me there is no better soundig DAP, and I've auditioned everything there is, in Singapore and Hong Kong hi end stores, both places are currently DAP and hi end headphones and IEM crazed.
To me X1, using Balanced Out with balanced cable headphones is better then both top Sony, better than Astell, included their obscenely, insultingly priced top model, better than Fiio X5 and X7. Closest match would be IBasso dx200, it's a toss up, but I prefer Onkyo.

Except my Onkyo DP X1 3.5mm audio out socket broke within weeks lol. So if you go for Onkyo, be aware that both output sockets are beyond fragile and prone to fail with regular use, the output sockets are bad beyond description. No other player uses sockets that fail only due to PLUGGING HEADPHONE PLUG IN AN OUT.

So be warned. I was warned, still bought it, and surely one socket failed within weeks. Also be aware that there is no such thing in Onkyo's vocabulary as customer service. I never encounter anything like this in audio industry, and I been customer for hi end stuff for 20 years.
I agree with you on Astell & Kern players, I bought AK70 for $600 and it does not sound, nor it is worth it anywhere near that price range. AK Jr I've got for a lot less for B&H and it is, although painfully slow to respond, much more worth $279 price then AK70 . Onkyo I skipped since most units have issue with sockets and if there is no customer service behind, than I don't spend my pennys.

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #15,367 of 16,326
Throughout this thread there is a lot of discussion about Onkyo’s statement that they can’t confirm any 3rd party music apps that play audio using both DACs. It’s also my understanding that when listening to the DP-X1 through the balanced mode (2.5mm jack) it dedicates one DAC for each channel. With that in mind, if I use a 3rd party app while using the balanced output and I hear both channels, then doesn’t that prove the app is using both DACs? In my particular case I’m using PowerAmp.

Am I wrong here?

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #15,368 of 16,326
Throughout this thread there is a lot of discussion about Onkyo’s statement that they can’t confirm any 3rd party music apps that play audio using both DACs. It’s also my understanding that when listening to the DP-X1 through the balanced mode (2.5mm jack) it dedicates one DAC for each channel. With that in mind, if I use a 3rd party app while using the balanced output and I hear both channels, then doesn’t that prove the app is using both DACs? In my particular case I’m using PowerAmp.

Am I wrong here?

Of course X1 uses both DACs and both amps regardless of which Android App you use.
Dacs and amps are hardware, plugging in the 2.5mm TRRS plug will trigger dap to use both dacs and amps, hardware doesn't care which app we prefer. I use Poweramp too, it is most comprehensive Android music App, it is almost has too many options, menu after sub menu after sub menu lol

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #15,369 of 16,326

Am I wrong here?
Whitemouse is correct. It has been discussed many times that 3rd party apps do use the Sabre DACs only ( both in balanced or one in SE).
On another note, has anyone used this with the iFI DSD Nano BL? I was thinking of getting the BL to pair with my Onkyo as it does MQA and other options as well.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #15,370 of 16,326
Hello
i"m sending my DP X1A to my father that is in process to buy a DAC for his hi fi instalaltion . the DP X1A will serve as the source.
what's the best way to connect the Onkyo with the DAP ( probably Hugo 2 ) ?
thanks !

edit : and will it be able to play DSD files

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #15,373 of 16,326
On High gain I find that the Single ended\ACG output of this amazing little device is already as or slightly more powerful than the Low gain on my O2+ODAC, which I find more than sufficient for my HD6XXs. 75+75mw @32 ohms equates to 2.191 V (besting the famed LGV20), and full balanced is 3.1V! I prefer to use medium gain but even then I have 8% headroom (147/160)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #15,374 of 16,326
anyone here still has their 3.5mm and 2,5mm socket in perfect condition?
i have mine since june 2016 and theyre still alright (fingers crossed).
but im still a bit afraid that they will eventually fail someday; that it will not be a question of 'if' but 'when' :c

That's reassuring to learn that your's hasn't failed after 1.5 years. Mine is still okay, but I've only had it 9 months.
Myself, I take extra care with the jacks (plugging in gently and reducing the number of times required to unplug). Also I don't put it in my pocket when headphones are connected. How about you? Have you been taking extra precautions these past months?

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #15,375 of 16,326
I got mine April 17th 2016. I don't treat it special but I'm always careful with all my gear. I have a pair of Shure SE215 that are almost 10 years old and have had 8000 gallons of sweet and still work.
I'm one of the few who paid the full price which I would have took the chance for the cheaper ones.
Screenshot_2018-01-19-20-47-15-1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back