Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 14, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #408 of 4,324
The 1A should be about as good as the 1Z when it is being use as a digital transport feeding the ZH1ES. What I was trying to say is using the 1Z as a digital transport is seriously overkilled and one can use the 1A or even the ZX300 in place of the 1Z and save the money.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #409 of 4,324
We all are mate, thats why we came to headfi, to find our way to endgame.
This isn't the place for it. I have an Orpheus and DIY T2 system and I am still here.

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #410 of 4,324
When you add the 1Z and ZH1ES you're at around £4k. If the 1A works as well as the 1Z in this combo you're at £2.5k.

The DMP-Z1 will be what - £7k?

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #411 of 4,324
When you add the 1Z and ZH1ES you're at around £4k. If the 1A works as well as the 1Z in this combo you're at £2.5k.

The DMP-Z1 will be what - £7k?

That seem like it ! @purk is correct about getting a WM1A or ZX300 for the Digital transport. All 3 of them are very similar, and even if there are differences, it would be stretching it ways too far to justify the cost. No Walkman can replace a dedicatedly built Desktop, which can be had for $3k or 2$ depend on build.

Anyways, at the price of $8k, the DMP-Z1 shall be outperforming upper tier desktop systems . I would be very interested to see how it will fair out in comparison

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #412 of 4,324
I'm intrigued.

Slightly off topic, has anyone tried using the Sony ZH1ES with an AK device as transport?

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #414 of 4,324
Tried at the store using an OTG cable connecting SP1000 with ZH1ES micro USB port
sometime it works and sometime don't
with AK380 works every time

seems the new OS system on SP1000 is not very stable

In your opinion, is there any benefit to using the ZH1ES with the AK380? Does it sound better?
Also, what OTG cable did you use?
(sorry for going off-topic with the DMP here)

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #415 of 4,324
In your opinion, is there any benefit to using the ZH1ES with the AK380? Does it sound better?
Also, what OTG cable did you use?
(sorry for going off-topic with the DMP here)

Just take this quote seriously
Tried at the store using an OTG cable connecting SP1000 with ZH1ES micro USB port
sometime it works and sometime don't
with AK380 works every time

seems the new OS system on SP1000 is not very stable

Good hardware is one thing, but bad software will trash them all. Not to mention that it isn’t working correctly....we are talking about the proper Taps, filters, aliasing, interpolations....etc....etc...here. This is another point why, if you were to have a desktop, just build yourself a dedicated PC

You probably already know that with DAP, Each different firmware slightly alternate it sound performances. That is how severely the software can impact the device.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #416 of 4,324
Fair enough. I only ask because some Headfiers connect their AK380s up to Chord Hugos and I could never understand why you would buy an expensive DAP only to use it as a transport. Moon Audio's website has a whole section extolling the virtues of using AKs with Hugos and HiFiM8s, selling all the interconnects.

Anyway, back to the DMP-Z1.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #417 of 4,324
Fair enough. I only ask because some Headfiers connect their AK380s up to Chord Hugos and I could never understand why you would buy an expensive DAP only to use it as a transport. Moon Audio's website has a whole section extolling the virtues of using AKs with Hugos and HiFiM8s, selling all the interconnects.

The idea comes from expensive hardware build - better performances. However, it does not always stand true, and especially for a DAP.

One example is clocking precisions and it floor noises. Higher performances clocks has tighter tolerances, better stability, better aging, better noise floors but is also bigger and requires more power. This makes any capable devices to be built around it, and many other components for dedicated devices. Those could be super low noise at tightest tolerances and linearity as possible, and it won’t come in a form of a DAP...ever. Therefore, any sound quality had to be gain from beefy hardware is true, but is stretching a penny for a thousand in cost, period.

For this reason alone, a dedicatedly full blown built PC or Server will be a much better choices....and then there is software on top of that. PC has many good softwares and where as DAP, you will have to stick with the companies that made it

DMP-Z1 is 1/2 of everything, not even a full blown Source for digital out, not even a full blown amplifier, not even a full blown analog source for line-out, not even a full blown DAC.....and but it is full blown on price

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #418 of 4,324
From what you say, it will be interesting to see (hear) what differences / improvements the DMP-Z1 can bring (if any) compared to ZH1ES plus 1A/1Z transport. The DMP-Z1 seems to separate the transport / DAC from the Amp whereas the other way has the transport separate from the DAC / Amp.

Someone's going to tell me I'm wrong but I don't mind - it's all a great learning curve....

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #419 of 4,324

Mmm...when outside, I use my AK 380 cu as transport for Chord Hugo 2 for closed-back headphones. More power and better. But since I always have 1 in-ear monitors at hand, the AK 380 cu is disconnected and used to power the in-ear monitors. Portable and better. So, as I see it, it is a question of having maximum flexibility when I am outside the house. Better and practical.

In short, it is having the option to use the right equipment for any occasion/scenario. I do not use the Hugo 2 or the AK 380 cu at home. For that, I have my desktop systems.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #420 of 4,324
Mmm...when outside, I use my AK 380 cu as transport for Chord Hugo 2 for closed-back headphones. More power and better. But since I always have 1 in-ear monitors at hand, the AK 380 cu is disconnected and used to power the in-ear monitors. Portable and better. So, as I see it, it is a question of having maximum flexibility when I am outside the house. Better and practical.

In short, it is having the option to use the right equipment for any occasion/scenario. I do not use the Hugo 2 or the AK 380 cu at home. For that, I have my desktop systems.

My friend! I think DMP-Z1 was made to target specifically toward you :D, would you be getting one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back