Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 11, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #361 of 4,326
Define a top end electrostatic system.
A Stax-009S is already 4600. Pair it with a "top end" electstat amp like a Blue Hawaii (which starts at 5999) and you've already blown the budget, and we haven't got a DAC yet.

Look, KG-Amps can also be a DIY or purchase used.

1/ Grounded Grid is like a BHSE, just better IMO for practicality reasons, and the Grounded Grid can be purchased for $3,500.

2/ Stax Headphones is not included as the DMP-Z1 is not coming with any headphones or IEMS

3/ A Chord TT2 is around $4,500 or you can buy a used one for less than that. You can also purchase those high-end China made DAC such as my LKS004 is $1.6K and or AudioGD for 2.7K. These are all worthy of top tier performances

It is still within budgets ! Period

Or you want to count the headphones, the Z1R is $2k, the DMP-Z1 is 8k, you are around 10k

Grounded Grid + 009 + Yggy is Right there around 10k

Nope, I said I will not in my lifetime ever want to use this as a Walkman. If I ever decide purchase it, it will forever be bolted down onto a desk, where battery longevity will be less of an issue.

There is no reason why to buy a battery devices and to have it sit permanently on a desk. Full blown desktop would be ways...ways...better

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #365 of 4,326
Don't they are using DAC chips inside the adaptor to do analog out? Like the Apple's audio adaptor

Not sure, but adding an analog out from Z1 should be easy to do. All they have to do is running another set of signal from the DAC analog output stage and route it to the rear panel. Sony can easily use a female TRRRS for that.

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #366 of 4,326
Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #367 of 4,326
Not sure, but adding an analog out from Z1 should be easy to do. All they have to do is running another set of signal from the DAC analog output stage and route it to the rear panel. Sony can easily use a female TRRRS for that.

No, usb type C is fully capable of analog pin out, adaptors is only to take these pin out and allow external connection. If the device had it implemented. It can do both, analog out or digital out

https://www.quora.com/Do-USB-type-C-earphones-work-on-any-phone-with-a-type-C-port

Thanks for reply! Don't know USB TYPE-C can do analog out
Although I do agree with purk that Sony should include a TRRRS for line out at the rear panel, the USB-C port seems not a good way to do pre-amp out

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #368 of 4,326
I am fully curious about the DMP-Z1. I used to own PHA-3, and that thing was another product that utilized ES9018S instead of Sony S-Master (zx2 generation). Eventhough it wasn’t all that powerful, and more likely to cut cost, it was still running fairly warm and quickly depleting battery.

So, I wonder how hot the DMP-Z1 will do, and fair. I have been thinking about it, and the more I think about it, the more I found out that these (PML-Films Capacitors and F-Resistors are very expensive), and the more capable they are for (power/capacity), the more expensive they are. Now, when we take it a little further, these guys are custom made by Sony engineering’s, and specially ordered straight from the manufacturers. Considering each of those components are $5-6....we are talking hundreds....and the cost are from there. Pretty crazy stuff, there are not a single (common off the shelves resistors or capacitors MLCC, Tantalum in there, well maybe a few Tantalum), ut look at those little resistors, they are F-resistors too! What in the world ..

Now, bonuses. For those who was crying that DMP-Z1 has no linear power supply ? Hell, you have an option to use External-Linear-Powersupply in the OS. You can choose to have it run on battery, on Main AC (Aka the input in the back 19.5V-DC). So, just get yourself your favorite PSU and you are gold!

50E53EF4-BB25-4EFF-9C4B-9B2176691876.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #373 of 4,326
Hi everyone! for those in Singapore, Sony Singapore has warmly welcome us to a demo session at Wisma Atria on the 6th of October. You will also be able to interview two engineers who are behind the design of their new products. Those who are interested in going please DM me your name and email!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #374 of 4,326
Hi everyone! for those in Singapore, Sony Singapore has warmly welcome us to a demo session at Wisma Atria on the 6th of October. You will also be able to interview two engineers who are behind the design of their new products. Those who are interested in going please DM me your name and email!

Please, if you have a chance, could you ask them those questions:

- Will the USB-C allow Digital-out (to an external desktop DAC) and also Line-Out (to an external desktop AMP)
- Is there a chance to get one day a BlueTooth iPAD app to manage the playback/playlists (to compensate for the ridiculously small 3" screen)

thanks in advance

Sep 30, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #375 of 4,326
I seriously don’t know why Sony want and praise Nichicon Fine gold sound.

I don’t like fine gold, it has a lot off bass and bloom, lush mid, but yet veil up lower mid details and harsh lower trebles and also compromises in sound stage . There are so many other capacitors to choose from, like Audio Note, Elna...well...whatever. In fact, I pulled them out of my lks 004 and replaced with something else
BEE9CB06-1C31-4298-AE38-BDD7908D5A5C.jpeg
C388BF67-249A-46EE-8BC7-F8777CFFFD10.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back