Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #332 of 4,324
The hair cut is for less sound distortion from hair you know

I would like to meet this guy one day. Here you go.....a true target customer for the 1Z design team!

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #334 of 4,324
Back to this thread of beloved DAP ever.

I think you don't need to carry it for daily. You have better choice like dp-x1(a) which I have been happily using for three year. You know. Convenience of listening to 45million songs .

But if you are serious about a DAP , given that there is no requirements of size. Sony DMP-Z1 is a piece of serious DAP.

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #335 of 4,324
In HK, it is priced lowest in the world. Hkd61880 / 6750euro. So after 1 year, one may pick up a nice piece at 5000euro 2nd handed.

I don't think that is too scary of a price given that many cables sell at 2000euro nowadays. Right?

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #336 of 4,324
In HK, it is priced lowest in the world. Hkd61880 / 6750euro. So after 1 year, one may pick up a nice piece at 5000euro 2nd handed.

I don't think that is too scary of a price given that many cables sell at 2000euro nowadays. Right?
Right, and that was what I said. If cables could be sold that expensive, why not a device.....voila, we have DMP-Z1. Snake oils everywhere. Sad to see a leader company would do such

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #338 of 4,324
Couple of things that annoy/bother me about this product:

• Sony is charging 9000$ for this, yet they don't bother to even implement OLED display to the device. 90% of the screen is black and OLED would look soooo much more premium. (bit of a nitpick)

• There are multiple batteries inside of this device. a) What if the Batteries lose their capacity over time? Will Sony give 5+ years of warranty for this? b) What if the batteries swell overtime?

• There is no XLR (3- or 4-pin) on 9000$ "high-end/TOTL" - Amp. It's ridiculous

• ...And more importantly, there is NO PORTS, (Other than USB) on the back... WHAT?! Why?

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #339 of 4,324
A3B7D01B-366F-40BF-9673-5FE03935F98A.jpeg
The hair cut is for less sound distortion from hair you know

Not human, definitely not a human.

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #340 of 4,324
Couple of things that annoy/bother me about this product:

• Sony is charging 9000$ for this, yet they don't bother to even implement OLED display to the device. 90% of the screen is black and OLED would look soooo much more premium. (bit of a nitpick)

• There are multiple batteries inside of this device. a) What if the Batteries lose their capacity over time? Will Sony give 5+ years of warranty for this? b) What if the batteries swell overtime?

• There is no XLR (3- or 4-pin) on 9000$ "high-end/TOTL" - Amp. It's ridiculous

• ...And more importantly, there is NO PORTS, (Other than USB) on the back... WHAT?! Why?

Agree 100%.
A bigger screen, digital-Out and fixed line-out are IMO mandatory in such a big and expensive device and will allow to also use it as the Music server for our speaker system ou our big headphone amplifier. A shame ....

60133063-D613-48C9-A24C-455A7EC71A88.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #341 of 4,324
Do OLED nowadays still have burn mark problem? Also does it consume less power than TFT panel?
Also, a big touch display panel means greater power consumption also adding a weak point on the surface, so I don't see the point using a big touch panel on a music playback only machine, but I do hope they bring out an app to let user select songs loaded in 1Z via smartphone.

I guess the more port on the back, the more chance to damage during transport, as this machine is not designed for a stationary system, like the TA headphone amp, they try to design this machine as clean as possible. I'm thinking it as a huge-size Walkman, only to play music from it internal memory.

I also do hope they include a XLR4, but seems the design team think 4.4 port do the job better. (and SONY is the big pusher behind 4.4 port standard).

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #342 of 4,324
Agree 100%.
A bigger screen, digital-Out and fixed line-out are IMO mandatory in such a big and expensive device and will allow to also use it as the Music server for our speaker system ou our big headphone amplifier. A shame ....

It'll be a shame if they haven't enabled analog and digital out via USB-C. I wonder whether anyone on the Walkman design team uses an Xperia phone?

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #343 of 4,324
Do OLED nowadays still have burn mark problem? Also does it consume less power than TFT panel?
Also, a big touch display panel means greater power consumption also adding a weak point on the surface, so I don't see the point using a big touch panel on a music playback only machine, but I do hope they bring out an app to let user select songs loaded in 1Z via smartphone.

I guess the more port on the back, the more chance to damage during transport, as this machine is not designed for a stationary system, like the TA headphone amp, they try to design this machine as clean as possible. I'm thinking it as a huge-size Walkman, only to play music from it internal memory.

I also do hope they include a XLR4, but seems the design team think 4.4 port do the job better. (and SONY is the big pusher behind 4.4 port standard).

still does... look at all the samsung phones.

Hong Kong taxi drivers are the best test candidates. They have 5-6 samsung mobile phones on their dashboard to keep track of the taxi booking apps. Most of these samsung phones have burn in issues.
j1imjaxsj3001.jpg

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #345 of 4,324
There are some features that can be implemented into the OLED screen. For example, you could dimm the screen and after a while turn the screen of the prevent burn in. Or (Lenovo did this with their Laptops couple of years ago with the taskbar) you could move the elements on screen after x -minute of time to prevent burn in. Samsung also does this with their AOD-screens.

OLED is more expensive than LCD and implementing these kinds of features would cost extra R&D. But when you are asking 9000$ for an AMP/DAC. There really should be no excuses of cutting corners.

In the High-end market it's all about little details. When you have LCD that is constantly on, on black screen, you will notice the backlight bleed. (especially in dark room) And when the whole unit is mostly black. It stands out and also make it feel/look less premium.

And btw, if Sony fears about burn in. They wouldn't have put li-ion batteries into these things. Li-ion batteries tend to loss capacity overtime and especially if you leave them plugged in and let them be at 99-100% charge constantly. (Which most people will probably do if they use this thing as an desktop amp)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back