Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 13, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #4,261 of 4,655
  I disagree.  People who really, really love music don't care what it's being played on.  People who love audio gear may say that they love music but I'll bet they can't listen to an entire piece of music without focusing on some aspect of the reproduction, or getting up and fiddling with something.  That would be me...

When I  got my first decent headphones, I would listen again and again and again to the songs that I liked (and have played a thousand times before). The happiness was like nothing else. True if you love music, you can still stand it on $20 computer speakers. But listening to your songs on hi-end gears... It was a happiness that  I can at least pursue with money. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #4,262 of 4,655
Yea, All my family members think i crazy and wonder Why i just don't go to the dollar store and get some headphone instead. But then they are the same people who think as long it plays sound that it good enough.  Now my oldest bro on the other hand has muiti pairs of headphones, But I do not know which ones he has. But lucky for me ,since I usually sell the headphones instead of starting a collection. They don't get on my case that much.

This is the non-audiophile reaction to a lot of audio related stuff. They think that it sound comes out, it's doing it's job. Whether it's a powered sound bar, or a five dollar pair of headphones. It's hard to explain to people.

Sometimes, you'll get criticism from somebody but then when you let them here the better gear they are startled at the difference momentarily. Once you have your foot in that door though, you have the opportunity to educate them gently about what they're missing.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #4,263 of 4,655
+1 to thomoz. My friend often said "Well $10 headphones for me are enough, I won't be able to hear the difference". Share my SR60i with him during our university and intern days. Now I think he's in love with his SR80i.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,264 of 4,655
Originally Posted by lehoang15tuoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I  got my first decent headphones, I would listen again and again and again to the songs that I liked (and have played a thousand times before). The happiness was like nothing else. True if you love music, you can still stand it on $20 computer speakers. But listening to your songs on hi-end gears... It was a happiness that  I can at least pursue with money. 

This

Also, I showed someone my M100s two days ago:
"Headphones should not cost more than $10!"
She's replaced her earbuds before, so that's more than $10 right there.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #4,265 of 4,655
I remember when i was a college student, i was trying to get a second hand SE535's (On a dollar for dollar basis they were 1000 dollars here, so its a big deal) and i told my friend about it. He said that i was insane and he will never understand why i would spend that much on earphones.

I told him why not come over to jaben (Local earphone shop) to try some stuff out, since you need new earbuds anyway. When he came in, the first one (Klipsch s4i) he considered meh, the second (FAD Heaven 4), he called it the most perfect earphone on the planet.

He was about to pay for them, when i told him that those heaven 4's have a big brother called the "heaven 6", they were more than 3 times the price (2000 dollars), but i told him there was no harm in trying anyway.

After 30 seconds with those, he was quiet for awhile and could not listen to the heaven 4's which he considered perfect only a few minutes ago. 

While we were driving back in the car, he was completely silent. The next day, he got a loan from his parents and got the earphones. He spent the rest off college paying his parents back. He said "i always regret it when im not listening to it".

Currently, he just heard the MH335's and they cost about (7.7k here or 3-4 months salary) and he was again completely blown away. I sense an upgrade coming =D

Its weird how i get so happy when a convert buys insanely expensive headphones, and the priest (Ie: me) cannot even justify.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #4,267 of 4,655

...when a convert buys insanely expensive headphones, and the priest (Ie: me) cannot even justify.

It's kind of the same thing with Beats, I mean, a pair of beats pro is $400. (That said, they sound like the UE6000 which are $80) Not even my Philips Fidelio X2 or Mad Dogs cost even that much. I'd really have a hard time justifying paying $400 for a pair of any headphones though, to be honest. Maybe when I'm earning more.

(Then again, I did somehow justify paying $320 for a V-moda Vamp Verza lol)

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #4,268 of 4,655
It's kind of the same thing with Beats, I mean, a pair of beats pro is $400. (That said, they sound like the UE6000 which are $80) Not even my Philips Fidelio X2 or Mad Dogs cost even that much. I'd really have a hard time justifying paying $400 for a pair of any headphones though, to be honest. Maybe when I'm earning more.

(Then again, I did somehow justify paying $320 for a V-moda Vamp Verza lol)

Beats cost a lot because they cost a lot, no other reason. Its like apple, $2500 for a Mac. There is nothing special that macs a Mac. Intel processer, Samsung ssd, kingston ram, Samsung display.

People pay that much because its a name statement, bit because they're good (beats)

Getting cans from a true audiophile place, you get what you pay for. My t50rps were $189 premodded. Paying $400 for mad dogs is worth it. Even though they are t50rps, hand modded, and crafted perfectly.

Now once you start reaching the limits in terms of best of the best, that's where you start paying exponentially more. Paying 4x as much for a headphone that is only 2x as good. Like phones, last years model is always massivly cheaper then the latest. You pay a premium for premium, but you get what you pay for

There are exceptions, like beats and macs, paying huge prices for things that are equal or worse (much worse wih beats) then most things. Or the opposite like the t50rp. Paying $130 (stock ones) for something that sounds like its worth much much more

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #4,270 of 4,655
My best friend came over a few days ago and I told him he needed to hear my new cans; 1540's and a Schiit stack. Played him 2 songs before he started weeping like he'd never heard music before.it was beautiful.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #4,272 of 4,655
I'm screwed- I just auditioned the UERMs yesterday and I still can't get their sound out of my head. Not even my Stax rig can save me now... ...

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #4,273 of 4,655
I guess I'm blessed with the people around me when it comes to understanding love for "gear", especially when it comes to audio. I work as a strategy consultant at an online bureau, enough gear-nerds over there. My main hobby is playing guitar in my band, most of my friends are musicians. Many of them can't imagine having enough money to spend the same amounts as I do on hifi gear (the kind of musicians well into their thirties still hoping to break trough, keeping frustrating jobs to be flexible), but absolutely love to try them and enjoy comparing the sets of cans I currently have.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #4,274 of 4,655
I got a new reaction. I went to my little cousins birthday party last night and I was using my HA-SZ2000 last night with my Fiio e12 and X5. One of my cousins need headphones to use for her phone and my cousins boyfriend recommended she use my HA-SZ2000. She just said no in a "uhh...I don't want to use it and hurt their feelings" manner. And I said "let me guess you have Beats." and she said "uhh...yea...". Another reaction was when one of my little cousins step-brothers was asking "Why are you playing it so loud?" and I said "I'm only playing it half way." His face went 
eek.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,275 of 4,655
  I got a new reaction. I went to my little cousins birthday party last night and I was using my HA-SZ2000 last night with my Fiio e12 and X5. One of my cousins need headphones to use for her phone and my cousins boyfriend recommended she use my HA-SZ2000. She just said no in a "uhh...I don't want to use it and hurt their feelings" manner. And I said "let me guess you have Beats." and she said "uhh...yea...". Another reaction was when one of my little cousins step-brothers was asking "Why are you playing it so loud?" and I said "I'm only playing it half way." His face went 
eek.gif

It's the worst when they won't even try headphones aside from the heavily marketed consumer ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back