Night Oblivion Butastur thread
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #316 of 339
The H570 eartips were what the designer of the Butastur used when tuning the iem and are what he recommends. I wholeheartedly agree as I rolled many tips and these seemed to strike the best balance. You can find plenty of sellers on Aliexpress for these as well. They'll be a clear, hybrid latex tip with a blue center.

Feaulle H570 or Pentaconn Coreir are best for me.

The tips are definitely the H570... No point on messing around IMHO.

Also if you source is more on the analytical side, yeah they may sound thin... The thing is, they are very transparent so everything has more impact in the sound when compared with some other IEMs.

thx ! just ordered the h570 just now.... hope it wont take long to arrived

and yeah, i test it first on fiio k9 pro , after that test it on ru7 for a moment, and i think it sound fuller on ru7 ... but i guess ill wait till i get better to test them again

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #318 of 339
Dear friends here is my Night Oblivion Butastur Review.
IMG_20240403_173917-wm-44138.799999952316_watermarked.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/night-oblivion-butastur.26677/review/33452/

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #319 of 339
wow, had a great time with this iem , everything feels right, not too much or too less , and still musical and bit sparkly that made it not boring

i saw quite lots people comparing this to supernova, but i still prefer butastur, while both are good iem for their price, supernova feels too laidback for my preference

a little nitpick from me maybe cable is really bad for me, too heavy for my preference (would be okay if its for headphone), and maybe my 0.78pin got bent because its really hard to plug it to the iem, and same with modular jack, its hard to attach and re-attach the plug
and unfortunately short nozzle, hard to get the fit

IMG_20240409_202845.jpg

also is there any other eartips recommendation than H570? i got the H570 S size, but looks like need MS size for better fit , but its sold out in local store ... and just ordered it from aliexpress but looks like its gonna need 3 week ish to come and with this short nozzle , all my other eartips dont give a good seal

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #320 of 339
Probably another one I might miss, but I am selling my Butastur at a ridiculous price. Headphones and earbuds take up lots of listening time nowadays.

May 7, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #321 of 339
Preamble:
Well I have the Night Oblivion Butastur in my hands...........as of this afternoon! When in reality I have been following this IEM (from the start) and never actually thought I would get a chance to hear it. Am I surprised? Yes, why? Well often you read too much about a product and start to consciously or unconsciously form opinions before even hearing it. Ideas as to maybe what the final sound will be, even though I know the only real way to know what an IEM sounds like is to hear it.

First impressions:
Probably the bass is what I first dig the most. I mean there has been a long history of just so-so bass from pure BA IEMs in my past. I really like Hybrids the most. Yet this is good, no better than good, the bass is great. Way different than I was expecting.

NO_Butastur_vs_Anole.jpg

Sure I heard the qdc Anole VX, but it was in a shop and a long long time ago. Where before the Night Oblivion Butastur was made I remember American Spirit talking about the VX. Then just recently I found this graph...............probably many of you have already seen. And it seems he addressed some Anole VX ideas and pushed this whole tune in a subtly smoother direction while at the same time delineating all the details he needed to? Is it a better tune than the VX? Well it was a while ago, but from memory yes, the tune is more what I have come to look for in an IEM. Truthfully I'm not sure exactly how many 10 BA IEMs I have, not many, only maybe three? Only one past flagship............the Noble K-10 Encore, the Encore is really a good comparison for the Night Oblivion Butastur. Reason being is the Night Oblivion has better bass, and has included a fairly straightforward treble approach........less heated than both the VX and way, way less heated than the Encore. This simply goes with the style of midrange present to make the Night Oblivion very mainstream accessible. I mean really this is what so many IEMs would love to sound like, but at times, and for whatever reason they never get there? Very, very integrated with (it seems) every hole filled in the way the frequency response sits. This is even, complete and correct as far as tuning in my book. Technicalities.........the stage is super nice, of course BA fall-off is going to be way faster than DDs........yet we are gifted with nice note weight and reverberations regardless of the BAs? Not the ample best of course, but we are walking a fine line here, trying to included everything and the kitchen sink! :)

Timbre is great!

I mean it is the technicalities of how the bass is performed that has me smitten, and maybe because I just didn't expect BA bass to be this good. It is that we always regard the BA bass as holding wonderful transients and pace..........and the detail of BAs.......but not the real kick of DDs and all the DD texture. Yet, still I'm loving this style of bass replay, as somehow it is correct and somehow new to me. While playing the drums in an intro to this next song...................

Opium
DCD
Anastasis
44.1kHz - 24bit

Where sure I have heard the drums denser, but then the rest of the song starts to kinda showcase other attributes.......and becomes a listening joy. Those attributes have to do with great imaging and wonderful separation into the realization that these are very detailed IEMs.

Though that detail lays its performance in a nonchalant way, as almost not trying, only because we don't have those intense treble or upper midrange fires to extinguish. Everything is digestible and even though I haven't tried it, the Night Oblivion Butastur seems like it may be good for long listening runs?

Now I understand the bragging and the idealism put forth from American Spirit and the builder. That this is a form of ideal tune, in a world with such a thing being a little hard to find. Sure the stage isn't the biggest ever, but the Night Oblivion Butastur goes another step forward to make you not care, as the imaging and clarity is there so the stage starts to create the illusion of being way bigger than it is. Maybe the fact that it seems all bases have been covered here, that there is a completeness that I find incredibly amicable in nature. It is this evenness and completeness that actually makes this a classic.........as such it isn't under the pressure of being the next greatest thing. The purity is a value that never ever gets old or goes out of style. They will continue to sell these for a very long time!

I was going to put a photo of everything you get included in the box, but I wasn't happy with how the photo came out.......I need to do a reshoot. So included will be a few IEM shots and the cable. Cheers!

These are very difficult to get a photo to come-out the way they look in real-life.

Probably this......LOL.........looks like them the most?
DSC_1233.jpegqz.jpeg

Some other shots...........
DSC_1204.jpegac.jpeg
DSC_1207.jpegqwx.jpeg

DSC_1209.jpegqwd.jpeg

DSC_1217.jpegqxq.jpeg
DSC_1242.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1255.jpegzwxq.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #322 of 339
Preamble:
Well I have the Night Oblivion Butastur in my hands...........as of this afternoon! When in reality I have been following this IEM (from the start) and never actually thought I would get a chance to hear it. Am I surprised? Yes, why? Well often you read too much about a product and start to consciously or unconsciously form opinions before even hearing it. Ideas as to maybe what the final sound will be, even though I know the only real way to know what an IEM sounds like is to hear it.

First impressions:
Probably the bass is what I first dig the most. I mean there has been a long history of just so-so bass from pure BA IEMs in my past. I really like Hybrids the most. Yet this is good, no better than good, the bass is great. Way different than I was expecting.

Sure I heard the qdc Anole VX, but it was in a shop and a long long time ago. Where before the Night Oblivion Butastur was made I remember American Spirit talking about the VX. Where then just recently I found this graph, that probably many of you have already seen. And it seems he addressed some Anole VX ideas and pushed this whole tune in a subtly smoother direction while at the same time delineating all the details he needed to? Is it a better tune than the VX? Well it was a while ago, but from memory yes, the tune is more what I have come to look for in an IEM. Truthfully I'm not sure exactly how many 10 BA IEMs I have, not many, only maybe three? Only one past flagship............the Noble K-10 Encore, the Encore is really a good comparison for the Night Oblivion Butastur. Reason being is the Night Oblivion has better bass, and has included a fairly straightforward treble approach........less heated than both the VX and way, way less heated than the Encore. This simply goes with the style of midrange present to make the Night Oblivion very mainstream accessible. I mean really this is what so many IEM would love to sound like, but at times, and for whatever reason they never get there? Very, very integrated with (it seems) every hole filled in the way the frequency response sits. This is even, complete and correct as far as tuning in my book. Technicalities.........the stage is super nice, of course BA fall-off is going to be way faster than DDs........yet we are gifted with nice note weight and reverberations regardless of the BAs? Not the ample best of course, but we are walking a fine line here, trying to included everything and the kitchen sink!:)

Timbre is great!

I mean it is the technicalities of how the bass is performed that has me smitten, and maybe because I just didn't expect BA bass to be this good. It is that we always regard the BA bass as holding wonderful transients and pace..........and the detail of BAs.......but not the real kick of DDs and all the DD texture. Yet, still I'm loving this style of bass replay, as somehow it is correct and somehow new to me. While playing the drums in an intro to this next song...................

Opium
DCD
Anastasis
44.1kHz - 24bit

Where sure I have heard the drums denser, but then the rest of the song starts to kinda showcase other attributes.......and becomes a listening joy. Those attributes have to do with great imaging and wonderful separation into the realization that these are very detailed IEMs.

Though that detail lays its performance in a nonchalant way, as almost not trying, only because we don't have that intense treble or upper midrange fires to extinguish. Everything is digestible and even though I haven't tried it, the Night Oblivion Butastur seems like it may be good for long listening runs?

Now I understand the bragging and the idealism put forth from American Spirit and the builder. That this is a form of ideal tune, in a world with such a thing being a little hard to find. Sure the stage isn't the biggest ever, but the Night Oblivion Butastur goes another step forward to make you not care, as the imaging and clarity is there so the stage starts to creat the illusion of being way bigger than it is. Maybe the fact that it seems all bases have been covered here, that there is a completeness that I find incredibly amicable in nature. It is this evenness and completeness that actually makes this a classic.........as such it isn't under the pressure of being the next greatest thing. The purity is a value that never ever gets old or goes out of style. They will continue to sell these for a very long time!

I was going to put a photo of everything you get included in the box, but I wasn't happy with how the photo came out.......I need to do a reshoot. So included will be a few IEM shots and the cable. Cheers!

These are very difficult to get a photo to come-out the way they look in real-life.

Probably this......LOL.........looks like them the most?

Some other shots...........

Nice mini-review, thank you.
I have to admit despite the excellent timbre and rather neutral tonality Butastur isn't all-purpose IEM. Jazz, fusion, classical music sound very good, but heavy styles need other tuning.
I have to note also more powerfull and more advanced source can bring much better sound with Butastur - it's important.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #323 of 339
I have to admit despite the excellent timbre and rather neutral tonality Butastur isn't all-purpose IEM. Jazz, fusion, classical music sound very good, but heavy styles need other tuning.
I have to note also more powerfull and more advanced source can bring much better sound with Butastur - it's important.
Well I totally understand your statement. Though I have been working to somehow align this authority with the 7Hz Aurora, by using the Renata cable. You see this style of tune may be my most preferred style, and both the Oblivion and Aurora seem to do the very same stance. To where they are slightly lacking that bass density, yet how you drive them and what cable you join can inch them into the friend zone. IMO

I mean singer songwriter stuff and vocal music yes, but OSTs and heavy Rock is really what I listen to, and I’m still all over the Oblivion? My first post in the “Let’s Talk Metal” thread was like 2010? I first heard Black Sabbath when I was a little kid in 1972.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #324 of 339
DSC_1307.jpegs2.jpeg
DSC_1276.jpegex.jpeg
DSC_1272.jpegx.jpeg
DSC_1262.jpegw.jpeg

May 7, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #325 of 339
May 8, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #326 of 339
May 10, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #327 of 339
I finally matched the WM1Z MK1 with the Penon OSG cable and Night Oblivion Butastur and it was all the bass I needed. I kinda knew this would intensify the sound both in electronic music (with a lot of bass) and Heavy Metal.

Really the Night Oblivion Butastur is perfect to my ears? This may sound crazy, but I could live with this single IEM and get rid of everything else, that’s how complete and even it is.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #328 of 339
Night Oblivion Butastur cable rolls..........
As it turns out after four days of testing and almost 100hrs of burn-in............the Penon OSG cable has a remarkable synergy with the Night Oblivion and (newly added) WM1Z. Price point would have you guess the wildly expensive ISN Solar in 4.4mm would be the preferred choice? But after time the OSG really brought some serious magic to the table. Fighting off the WM1Z brilliant treble exposure to kind-a smooth out the treble...............and while the Penon OSG has a slight sculpturing effect and a sight diminishing effect to bass, that character is actually welcome and loved? Some maybe some say the Night Oblivion needs (maybe) extra warmth or a push in the lower realms, but the WM1Z provides ample bass in that regard here. The WM1Z bass is so physical regardless of cable choice or IEM choice! Here the bass has depth and character, yet it is probably the midrange imaging expansion into the stage that dials in the Night Oblivion the most? Just realistic and formed expression of midrange realities, where the Solar was good, it pushed up more treble that the OSG, which with what the WM1Z treble does ended problematic, and the Solar smoothed out the midrange more than the Penon OSG? The included cable was maybe slightly deeper than the Penon OSG in bass, but left out the OSG details in the bass department, and mid-range imaging.

Penon OSG cable with Night Oblivion Butastur Universal IEM and WM1Z
DSC_1424.jpegqw.jpeg

Included Night Oblivion Butastur Universal IEM cable
DSC_1436.jpegx.jpeg

ISN Solar cable
DSC_1443.jpegqwq.jpeg

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #329 of 339
May 16, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #330 of 339
Hi guys, was thinking of trying this one but came across three things that give me pause... BTW my current IEM is Canon 2, that I sometimes run in down/down, and sometimes in up/down. Usually down/down for well recorded music. Penon Liqueur Orange tips, stock cable... actually stock cable from Hype2. Tried Hype2 and AFUL5 but like the Canon2 much more than either... it's the mids.

1) if an IEM doesn't sound good out of Apple Lightning dongle or my MB Air 2020, it's a no go. I don't see the point of portable if it isn't convenient and actually portable?. Anyway, everyone from crinacle to several reviewers I trust say the dac in the apple dongle, though featureless, is top class sonics. Pretty sure Tony in his review said it does well with Cirrus chipped dongles which I am almost certain is inside the Apple dongle.

2) Why would a company tune an IEM to H570 tips (as several posts have stated) and not include them in the packaging??????????? I mean how HARD is it to include the tips you used to tune your IEM? I have on hand Kbear A07, Spinfit W1, Tri Clarion, Penon Liqueur Orange, Final E type, a few more.

3) why would a small company ship a $600 IEM with a cable that doesn't work well for it ... make me wonder about their common sense .... or maybe the stock cable DOES work for it and all the rolling in at least 10 posts above are really just placebo or you're just having fun rolling?. Why so much cable rolling?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back