New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 6, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,717 of 3,927
What the difference between the GEN1 and GEN2 drivers?
I actually bought from someone this headphones that one driver replaced in the lab to GEN2 on the left side (so I have now one side from GEN1 second from GEN2).

If thats the case it must sound rather weird... to me the first and second version sound quite different (I strongly preferred the original btw.).

What was changed is the damping of the cup and the structure of the driver mount plate as far as I remember. I don't know if the driver itself was changed.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,718 of 3,927
I was fortunate to have joined the T1 club yesterday, having scored a nice deal on eBay with a T1.2 limited edition black version. I specifically hunted it down because I liked the more stealthy look. Soundwise I'm very impressed, running it through the balanced XLR cable to the Sony TA-ZH1ES. I also have the Amiron Home and I'm spending more time comparing the two but I can say that the T1.2 reveals a lot more detail, and bass extends a lot lower. I haven't heard the Gen 1 but they really seemed to have dialed back the treble quite a bit in comparison to other Beyers I've tried, most recently the DT1990. Makes for a welcome change, though I'm finding myself having to listen at louder volumes to get more brightness. I suppose there's also a little of the 250Ohm vs 600Ohm difference affecting that too.

All in all, quite happy with the headphone and it's different enough from the Amiron that I can justify keeping both of them.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,719 of 3,927
If thats the case it must sound rather weird... to me the first and second version sound quite different (I strongly preferred the original btw.).

What was changed is the damping of the cup and the structure of the driver mount plate as far as I remember. I don't know if the driver itself was changed.
the damping cup on the both drivers
but the front covered by different cloth
GEN2
JN9dMcw.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

GEN1
Y10edNB.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If I could buy only the one side for this headphones...

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #2,720 of 3,927
the damping cup on the both drivers
but the front covered by different cloth
GEN2
JN9dMcw.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

GEN1
Y10edNB.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If I could buy only the one side for this headphones...

The structure in front of the driver (and the part outside the driver) are different, that's where the damping changed. Point was to eliminate some resonance peaks as I remember.

I think @a-LeXx is right in that the drivers are only sold in matched pairs since that's part of the tuning of their reference model... you might want to look for someone selling a single driver... i don't think Beyerdynamic would do that.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #2,721 of 3,927
My quick verdict. T1.2 for £600 was a good amazon snag. It’s been a while since I had the original, but it’s mostly what I remember, but pleasantly darker yet maintains a lively and incredibly detailed treble.
For most of what I listen to, it’s ticking all the boxes I want ticked.

The impacto is a total bust for me with these cans. Full blast it can drive them just enough for medium volume in a quiet environment but definitely not enough to rock out with.

T1.2 will stay.
Impacto is going back to Amazon.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #2,722 of 3,927
My quick verdict. T1.2 for £600 was a good amazon snag. It’s been a while since I had the original, but it’s mostly what I remember, but pleasantly darker yet maintains a lively and incredibly detailed treble.
For most of what I listen to, it’s ticking all the boxes I want ticked.

The impacto is a total bust for me with these cans. Full blast it can drive them just enough for medium volume in a quiet environment but definitely not enough to rock out with.

T1.2 will stay.
Impacto is going back to Amazon.
Are you sure you are not running into the infamous european volume limit? Impacto definitively has one as well, there is, as far as I remember, a trick to overcome this ( not sure any longer, I think you have to press the volume button longer when it reached the limit)...

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #2,723 of 3,927
Are you sure you are not running into the infamous european volume limit? Impacto definitively has one as well, there is, as far as I remember, a trick to overcome this ( not sure any longer, I think you have to press the volume button longer when it reached the limit)...

Certainly possible. My Sines (with cipher) are about the same.
Looks like I’m off to do some googling.
Will report back

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #2,724 of 3,927
Certainly possible. My Sines (with cipher) are about the same.
Looks like I’m off to do some googling.
Will report back
Yes, you have to push (or double-click? I can’t quite remember?) the button to pass the lower-level volume limit, and that allows you to increase the volume betond that point.
In my experience, and for what it is, with the volume near maximum the Impacto provides plenty of volume with T1.2, especially ‘on the move’ around the house with an iDevice.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #2,725 of 3,927
So I’ll be damned. Yes. Press and hold volume up once at max then the play button starts flashing and more volume is unlocked.

Now if only there was the same thing for my Sines

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #2,726 of 3,927
I was fortunate to have joined the T1 club yesterday, having scored a nice deal on eBay with a T1.2 limited edition black version. I specifically hunted it down because I liked the more stealthy look. Soundwise I'm very impressed, running it through the balanced XLR cable to the Sony TA-ZH1ES. I also have the Amiron Home and I'm spending more time comparing the two but I can say that the T1.2 reveals a lot more detail, and bass extends a lot lower. I haven't heard the Gen 1 but they really seemed to have dialed back the treble quite a bit in comparison to other Beyers I've tried, most recently the DT1990. Makes for a welcome change, though I'm finding myself having to listen at louder volumes to get more brightness. I suppose there's also a little of the 250Ohm vs 600Ohm difference affecting that too.

All in all, quite happy with the headphone and it's different enough from the Amiron that I can justify keeping both of them.

Grats on getting the T1.2. I have a black edition myself, I really like the headphone, but honestly it's almost too dark but luckily it isn't too dark, I wasn't really expecting an HD 650 replacement with the headphone, but that's what I got. Oddly it's much darker than the previous T1.2(earlier production model) I had which was one of the brightest headphones I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,727 of 3,927
Grats on getting the T1.2. I have a black edition myself, I really like the headphone, but honestly it's almost too dark but luckily it isn't too dark, I wasn't really expecting an HD 650 replacement with the headphone, but that's what I got. Oddly it's much darker than the previous T1.2(earlier production model) I had which was one of the brightest headphones I've ever owned.

Thanks! I know exactly what you mean! It's darker than what I thought to be the most dark headphone that I had in my collection prior, the HD6xx (lol) with Dekoni hybrid pads. I find it to be quite pleasant though, as I am sensitive to some treble peak ranges. One interesting thing I notice is that the brightness tends to scale with volume, unlike my 6XX which kind of maintains the same general dark, veiled characteristics across any volume level. That's interesting that they tweaked the sound within the same 2nd generation production line, and I guess I would call it a welcome change. I didn't like the piercing splashiness I felt with the 1990 and the previous generation 770/880/990 that I've heard, and I'm glad they toned it down.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #2,728 of 3,927
I actually bought from someone this headphones that one driver replaced in the lab to GEN2 on the left side (so I have now one side from GEN1 second from GEN2).

I noticed that you posted about this in another thread in September. There you begin with:

My friend claims that he fix his headphones in the labs of Beyerdynamic, and they set one of the drivers to gen2 one.

This is very strange. It makes no sense for Beyerdynamic to repair a headphone, especially a flagship headphone, sent to them for service in this way, because both of the foreseeable outcomes are bad.

One is that the customer notices that the headphone is, to some degree, at odds with itself, and is unhappy. The other is that the customer notices no difference and rejects your claims of sonic improvement in the second generation. Either way, the customer now knows that his headphones are asymmetrical. This will irritate him, and he'll wander the internet trying to bring his cans back into balance.

There's no upside for the manufacturer.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2,729 of 3,927
I noticed that you posted about this in another thread in September. There you begin with:

This is very strange. It makes no sense for Beyerdynamic to repair a headphone, especially a flagship headphone, sent to them for service in this way, because both of the foreseeable outcomes are bad.

One is that the customer notices that the headphone is, to some degree, at odds with itself, and is unhappy. The other is that the customer notices no difference and rejects your claims of sonic improvement in the second generation. Either way, the customer now knows that his headphones are asymmetrical. This will irritate him, and he'll wander the internet trying to bring his cans back into balance.

There's no upside for the manufacturer.
I try to connect Beyer twice on the email.
I even though to sell my drivers and but a new pair (which gen can you recommend ? ) {I can leave this pair as a spare}

For me, the sound is great!, but for better filling I want to upgrade the drivers.

this shop prepare me a pair of this driver for buying
https://www.showcomms.com/beyer/bey...mic-t1-2nd-generation-service-kit-system.html
the price not so chip but it the best that I found

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #2,730 of 3,927
A matched pair of t1 drivers costs 299 Euro + shipping directly at beyer, if bought from their german homepage. Not sure whether they would ship worldwide though...

You cannot buy old t1 drivers any longer. Also old t1 is serviced with t1.2 drivers if required.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back