Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #661 of 13,028
Seriously, nobody who attended RMAF went for a listen?

I heard them at the Auris Audio table. I compared them to Susvara and the HE-6SE (which really opened my eyes). They sounded much more dynamic than the Susvara and HE-6SE and were very detailed. They sounded promising indeed and I am excited for Meze as I believe they have a winner on their hands here.

The headband was the only letdown for me as my head is tiny.

They hung off my ears as the headband was not tight enough to keep the ear cups sealed.

I can hopefully figure out a way to make them work. Most likely place some foam under the top of the headband to get that portion of the headphone elevated so the ear cups clamp against my head.

I was thinking about how to make them work as they're that good.

Normally I would just forget about it and move on...

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #662 of 13,028
Well, I was supposed to be there. But, didn't make my flight. :frowning2:

Hit the bottle once you get there, NOT before the trip.

You know what they say, "Third time's a charm!"

I'm sure you'll make it next year.

It really is a good time regarding headphones.

As far as 2 channel HiFi speaker systems go, the show seems to be slowing down, especially the past 3 years...

:)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #663 of 13,028
Hit the bottle once you get there, NOT before the trip.

You know what they say, "Third time's a charm!"

I'm sure you'll make it next year.

It really is a good time regarding headphones.

As far as 2 channel HiFi speaker systems go, the show seems to be slowing down, especially the past 3 years...

:)
Those battles with them inner demons get pretty tough lol. Can't say I won that last round. But, what you wrote about the Empyrean makes me want them even more. I'm stuck between the Empyrean / Ether 2 / Diana Phi. I might just start with the Ether 2 because it's a lot cheaper and I don't have my Utopia anymore and work my way up the chain again.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #664 of 13,028
I heard them at the Auris Audio table. I compared them to Susvara and the HE-6SE (which really opened my eyes). They sounded much more dynamic than the Susvara and HE-6SE and were very detailed. They sounded promising indeed and I am excited for Meze as I believe they have a winner on their hands here.

They hung off my ears as the headband was not tight enough to keep the ear cups sealed.

I can hopefully figure out a way to make them work. Most likely place some foam under the top of the headband to get that portion of the headphone elevated so the ear cups clamp against my head.

I was thinking about how to make them work as they're that good.

Normally I would just forget about it and move on...
How else would you describe the difference between the Emp and the Susvara? Soundstage and all the good stuff. I heard the Susvara has a pretty sweet soundstage.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #665 of 13,028

My head is not tiny, and I still thought the Empyrean was designed for people with larger heads...
As for sound - I thought they were very good. $3000 good? maybe not... (IMHO)
Competing in the $2000 range against Ether2, HiFiMAN 1000SE, etc - would be a good fight. For $3000 - I would rather go with the HiFiMAN Jade 2 (at $2500 including the estat amp) personally.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #666 of 13,028
Every canjam people consitantly walk away with positive comments on the Empyrean, well done Meze, looking forward to seeing what new headphone slots in the middle between 99 Classic and Empyrean.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #667 of 13,028
...and yet they are so shy about posting their positive comments.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #669 of 13,028
I better order one then.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #670 of 13,028
looking forward to seeing what new headphone slots in the middle between 99 Classic and Empyrean.
+1
The Empyrean sounds very good, but not $3000 good (IMHO). Also, even at minimum size - they felt a tiny bit too large for my head... and I might have a smallish head, but definitely not tiny.
I wonder if others felt the same (Empyrean headband being too large).

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #671 of 13,028
+1
The Empyrean sounds very good, but not $3000 good (IMHO). Also, even at minimum size - they felt a tiny bit too large for my head... and I might have a smallish head, but definitely not tiny.
I wonder if others felt the same (Empyrean headband being too large).

If those older flagship headphones did not set the price so high before, i wonder what the price of the Empyrean would actually be then.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #674 of 13,028
Yeah but lets just say all flagships are currently around $1,000 then would the Empyrean still be $3,000 or is it priced high to look like its as serious as Utopia and LCD4 etc?

Interesting question, let's hope it does perform so well that people will be purchasing it for that price and be happy :)

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #675 of 13,028
Yeah but lets just say all flagships are currently around $1,000 then would the Empyrean still be $3,000 or is it priced high to look like its as serious as Utopia and LCD4 etc?
The high price makes it seemingly apparent that the sound quality will be freakingly great awesome killer out of this world incredible huge best sound you've ever heard. The highest price gets the "best sound" attached to it before anyone has heard it. We assume that it just has to be. And even though we know this is not likely to be, we believe it anyway. We always have hope. Until it is dashed. Repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back