Looking for solid headphones in the region of £100-200
Mar 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

H6916

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I want to get some headphones in the region of 100 to 200 pounds. I need some recommendations and as soon as possible. I hope to learn more in the next few weeks as I am a newbie, and I want to know more to drastically improve my knowledge about headphones; and with your help, I am sure I can find some decent headphones. Thank you in advance to anyone who participates in this discussion. Looking forward to some excellent recommendations!

Also I have weird preference in music (anything that's good really :p) -- and therefore, I have a vast amount of music. But to be perfectly honest, I have a lot of hip-hop, RnB and rock music; I also listen to DnB and classic music.  

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 42
whats your source?
where will you be listening?

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 42
I will be listening to music on my laptop or my phone (Nexus 5). It will mostly be used when travelling, so hopefully portable headphones --- doesn't have to be wireless.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 42
Any suggestions? I am looking at the AKG 545 and the Focal Spirit Classic, and they provide the audio quality and comfort that I want; the reviews do anyway. 
I still need more suggestions to broaden my list of possible purchases. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 42
Based on the reviews of the K545 (I own the K550), they seem like they might be a good choice. Also look into the Soundmagic HP100:
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html
http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/11/review-soundmagic-hp100.html

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 42
Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently looking at the AKG 545 which has a lot of good reviews. But I can't help thinking that there is something out there that I haven't seen yet, so I am going to a bit more patient. I am looking for something that is not insipid and must have a lot of comfort and must sound exceptional. If it pushes past the £200, I wouldn't mind as it is only a threshold but nothing too extravagant. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 42
ATH-ES700?

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 42
I might just get the Fidelio X1 for home use; and for traveling, I might need to look in to that a bit more. But for me, the Fidelio X1 is immensely popular in my local Hi-Fi because they are going for £180.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 42
Would I be able to drive the AKG K545 with a Sansa Clip? I keep changing my mind every so often, and I hope purchase both of these products. The HP50's are
exquisite, but I don't see it beating the K545 in terms of sound quality; as I want headphones where the bass is tight, midrange is accurate and detailed, and the highs should be airy.
The sibilance must also be undetectable or diminutive. The soundstage must also be as big as possible; I want it like this, so I can thoroughly enjoy the song. Keep in mind that I try to use the glossary as much as possible to explain what I want; sorry if some of it seems nebulous. I want adequate isolation but with that being said, closed back headphones do not provide the bigger soundstages, so it would be conflicting with my preferences. I am stuck. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 42
If the K545s perform like the K550s, they should be fine with the Sansa Clip. The K550s have the biggest soundstage of any closed headphones I have heard. I cannot comment on the K545. There's a big K550 appreciation/discussion thread. Perhaps someone there has listened to both.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 42
I might just get the Fidelio X1 for home use; and for traveling, I might need to look in to that a bit more. But for me, the Fidelio X1 is immensely popular in my local Hi-Fi because they are going for £180.

Don't use the x1 for traveling. They are open back, which means they have a huge soundstage, but have virtually no isolation. You will get some weird looks too as they leak sound and those near you will hear what you are hearing

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 42
I would probably get weird looks due to how huge they are; let alone the lack of isolation on the headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back