Left driver rattling... What to do?!
Feb 13, 2017 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
I recently bought my second Yamaha HPH-MT220. (Used to own it in 2015.)

Unfortunately, the left driver rattles occasionally, usually with sub-bass. (Never had this problem with the first pair.)

I took off the pad to see if there was anything I could do without opening up the headphones. Blew it on a bit, to no avail.

What should I do now?

If I unscrew it and open it up, is there anything in particular I should try?

I bought this from the UK and live in the US. I'd rather not have to send it back and wait for a replacement.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 6
  I recently bought my second Yamaha HPH-MT220. (Used to own it in 2015.)

Unfortunately, the left driver rattles occasionally, usually with sub-bass. (Never had this problem with the first pair.)

I took off the pad to see if there was anything I could do without opening up the headphones. Blew it on a bit, to no avail.

What should I do now?

If I unscrew it and open it up, is there anything in particular I should try?

I bought this from the UK and live in the US. I'd rather not have to send it back and wait for a replacement.

I had this problem with a Sennheiser HD598. Interestingly enough, it was only happening at 60hz. When I looked inside, there was a very thin film in the housing that was rattling only at 60 hz. I removed the film and it solved the problem. If I were you, I would open it up and be looking for anything at all like I found that could be vibrating or rattling. Hopefully, you will find something you can remove as I did. If that doesn't resolve it, I suppose it could be the driver, in which case you are  likely going to have to return it. Hopefully it isn't the driver.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 6
  I had this problem with a Sennheiser HD598. Interestingly enough, it was only happening at 60hz. When I looked inside, there was a very thin film in the housing that was rattling only at 60 hz. I removed the film and it solved the problem. If I were you, I would open it up and be looking for anything at all like I found that could be vibrating or rattling. Hopefully, you will find something you can remove as I did. If that doesn't resolve it, I suppose it could be the driver, in which case you are  likely going to have to return it. Hopefully it isn't the driver.

Thanks for your input.

I opened it up, but I can't get to the actual driver. There are only two layers of screws: one to remove the layer under the pad and the other to remove the rear cover that doesn't show you much.

There was nothing to even adjust. I put the screws back on and it still rattles. Now what?

When I remove the driver enclosure, there is a white fabric material on the back area of the frame, but I didn't want to mess with it. Should I remove it anyway even though it's supposed to be there?

Update: I removed the driver enclosure again, this time while playing a frequency sweep. The fabric is not related, because I can hear the driver rattling in the sub-bass. How do I get to the driver itself? I can't do that just with the two layers of screws.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 6

Thanks for your input.

When I remove the driver enclosure, there is a white fabric material on the back area of the frame, but I didn't want to mess with it. Should I remove it anyway even though it's supposed to be there?

Update: I removed the driver enclosure while playing a frequency sweep. The fabric is not related, because I can hear the driver rattling in the bass. How do I get to the driver itself? I can't do that just with the two layers of screws.

Hmm. I am certainly no expert, but--. There is no access from the back? If there aren't any additional screws yielding access for you I suppose it could be glued into position, though that seems a bit odd to me. In any event, it sounds like you have localized the problem to the driver, which is a bummer. Sorry. And sorry I am not of more assistance to you. Not exactly sure what to do at this point. Sounds like you may have to return it to the manufacturer for a closer look at that driver, unfortunately.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 6
  Hmm. I am certainly no expert, but--. There is no access from the back? If there aren't any additional screws yielding access for you I suppose it could be glued into position, though that seems a bit odd to me. In any event, it sounds like you have localized the problem to the driver, which is a bummer. Sorry. And sorry I am not of more assistance to you. Not exactly sure what to do at this point. Sounds like you may have to return it to the manufacturer for a closer look at that driver, unfortunately.

Amazon is very helpful. They're letting me keep the defective pair until I receive a replacement pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back